Poodle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are moving sometime between now and the end of November and I’m wondering how to go about adjusting the dogs to a new home
Bella (poodle) has been through a move but she was still really little and I doubt she really remembers our previous home and she did great adjusting but we slept in the living room on a blow up mattress for a week and she slept with us (We had little to no furniture) and we didn’t get Jax (bull terrier) until after we moved
If things work out, we will be moving in to a new place while we still have time in the apartment so we can move things over little by little and won’t have to rent a big moving truck

I really need any advice and tips I can get, I’ve personally never even done a move with big things when I moved out of my old house I let my cousins have my furniture

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,202 Posts
Bumping this post up for you. Moving is always hard. Accept as much help as you can get, or hire people to help with the move and logistics. Best of luck :)

·
Premium Member
22,982 Posts
Personally I hate moving, but since I gather you are going to a house and hopefully getting a yard I am sure it will be worth it. the only thing I would do is make sure you walk your dogs around the neighborhood a bit and then to your door(s) a few times so they know how to get home if they get loose. We generally go in and out our side door which open to our fenced yard, but I periodically refresh all of the dogs on finding the front door too.

·
Registered
6,730 Posts
I just moved with my 2 dogs 3 months ago. It was very hard on me and still is, but my dogs adjusted really well. I was even surprised by it.

I made sure to walk the dogs in the new area a few times before moving, so it felt familiar.

Then on moving day, I left them in a closed, quiet room in their crate until everything was out of the house and the new house started to feel more like a home (not boxes everywhere). I had their usual pet sitter come to the house and walk them 2-3 times (can’t remember). I have a health condition so had people to pack and unpack for me, which really helped speed things up.

Later that day, when I felt the new place was homey enough in the area they would sleep in, I went to get them at the old house and gave them dinner at the new house. I made sure I did their evening routine. The fact that they sleep in their crate made it easier I think. They felt secure even though it was a new environment.

I live close to where I was before and thought they would want to go in the old house when we walked by it, but they had no reaction !

I think dogs don’t care where they are, as long as you keep their routine and they are with their humans.

·
Registered
7,158 Posts
I moved often with our tpoo and 4 cats. It was never a problem. Even long distance with an 18 hour drive.

If your dog isn’t used to trips in the car, start taking them daily somewhere fun with lots of treats so the trip to the new house will be a good experience. If the move is local, take your dog to walk in the new neighborhood.

Have a safe place to secure your dog during the move. I usually put my pets in a bathroom. Bathroom is a small room, easy to pack up and leave the box’s out in a hall so no one needs to go into the bathroom (or whatever room you choose). Then put a large sign outside the door warning not to enter, pets inside. Let everyone helping you move not to enter that room. Or you can leave your dog at a friend’s home or keep it crated in a corner away from most of the action. You want them to be as quiet and out of the action as possible.

Keep your normal routine as close as possible for potty and meals.

Before the move decide what is important to your dog - maybe a dog bed or crate and some toys. You don’t need much. These you will have available as soon as you bring your dog into the next home. We usually kept these things in the car while furniture and boxes went on a truck.

Your dog is more concerned about the humans in their life, not so much the furniture. Try to keep your stress low as possible by planning well ahead. If you are happy with the move your dog will quickly be comfortable in his/her new home. Let them explore at their own speed.

·
Registered
4,502 Posts
I have been lucky as I can move as someone mentioned a little at a time. Plus I would take the dogs to the new house before we moved in while remodeling or cleaning whatever the case maybe. Had no problem at all, but crated them when movers came and them took them home last. All they cared about wass that I was there. All went to bed and slept through the night like they always did. Put time on a leash and walked then 3 days around the yard and if they wanted to go to far just say back.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts