Poodle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the most useful command you have taught your poodle(s)?

For me, it has definitely been "around". I use it for when Matrix goes on one side of a tree/pole/whatnot, and Mitch and I are on the other side. Instead of having to backtrack and walk around the tree/pole/whatnot, Matrix untangles himself :) I knew it would come in handy. Now I just need Mitch to pick up on it too.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
I think it would be "stop" or "turn". If i say stop he will stop whatever his is doing. Licking his feet (allergies), chewing something, even walking, sniffing, etc. Turn is to turn around. I use it when wiping his feet so i dont have to walk all around him. Also on the grooming table or in the tub. He will turn right around and it is great.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
I'm trying to teach Teddy 'around', but so far he's not getting it and I end up passing the leash around the pole to my other hand.

I think the most useful command is 'wait', which he learned easily. When I open the apartment door to go out, I want him to wait for me to attach his leash before we go downstairs and outside. I keep the leashes just outside my door (so I always know where they are - LOL). He used to take off down the stairs, but if I say 'wait', he does.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
"stop" and/or "wait" which are also unanimous with 'Oi!' lol. Basically, stop whatever you're doing right this instant, and pay attention. Whether it's pushing about in the house, or past me in the doorways, about to run off after a cat she spots, or to stop on the pavement while I go unlock the car door on the street before she can come and get in.

And "Stay" is great. I can leave her in a sit-stay while I go and do something quickly, or stop to tie my laces, or at dog shows when I need to run into the office or canteen for something and she can't come in, so she'll do a sit-stay for me.

"turnaround" is great for grooming too, both on the table and in the tub, but most of the big dogs I groom all know that one anyway. lol! "Flat" as a command on the table is handy too; for her to go flat on her side.

"here" is a good one too, it basically means for her to be 'with' me, if she's wandering about, if we're walking along the road (or going for our morning runs) 'here' just means to stay with me, rather than 'heel' which is the formal heel-work for competitions! I'll often use 'here' to get her to me and get her attention, before directing her to something else, like to her bed or crate or into the car or something.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
"sit" and "wait" are undoubtedly my favorites and most useful. His sit is extremely useful and pretty reliable. I can have him sit anywhere, anytime (though not always with an enthusiastic or quick response, haha), so it really does wonders with his manners and self-control, as well as working as a "stay" in potentially dangerous situations (such as off leash, I have him sit and I come to him, as his "come" is not yet reliable).
"Wait" is wonderful as well. I trained it initially to keep him from pushing out the door or rushing away when I was trying to do something, but it grew into an all over "stay". He does a really good sit/down-stay, and he USED to stop in his tracks when he was walking, but now he just slows down significantly, lol. My bad!! We're working on fixing that right now.
I love wait so much though because while he's peeing, as he's stopping, I tell him to wait so he doesn't walk off while he's still tinkling and get it all over his legs!! It's saved me so much frustration!! Hahaha

·
Registered
36 Posts
Here, wait, with me means dont pull on the lead, and sit are all good ones, leave, is fabulous it works on everything from biscuits, to cats and other dogs, Oi grabs their attention, and stoppit is good also, I use two whistles when I take them out for walks, one I blow three times for them to return to me, and if I blow the other whistle one long blow, they are in trouble, dogs fly to sit in front of me and look innocent.

·
Registered
36 Posts
"sit" and "wait" are undoubtedly my favorites and most useful. His sit is extremely useful and pretty reliable. I can have him sit anywhere, anytime (though not always with an enthusiastic or quick response, haha), so it really does wonders with his manners and self-control, as well as working as a "stay" in potentially dangerous situations (such as off leash, I have him sit and I come to him, as his "come" is not yet reliable).
"Wait" is wonderful as well. I trained it initially to keep him from pushing out the door or rushing away when I was trying to do something, but it grew into an all over "stay". He does a really good sit/down-stay, and he USED to stop in his tracks when he was walking, but now he just slows down significantly, lol. My bad!! We're working on fixing that right now.
I love wait so much though because while he's peeing, as he's stopping, I tell him to wait so he doesn't walk off while he's still tinkling and get it all over his legs!! It's saved me so much frustration!! Hahaha
Alex went through a period of doing really slow motion sits too, when I wasnt frustrated with it, it made me laugh he looked like he was doing thai chi, it was very controlled.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Wait and here are the most useful as they keep the dogs safe. All the others are useful when they are needed. I like watching the dogs and when they do something interesting, click and eventually put a command to it.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oops, I meant to say most useful command ASIDE from the basics (sit, stay, down, come).

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Oops, I meant to say most useful command ASIDE from the basics (sit, stay, down, come).
"Kisses" & "hugs" lol, kidding but I do like that one.

I hate to admit it and I dont use it but my daughter does - is "treat!!" They stop whatever it is and run right to her. I am still working on the basics with a couple of my dogs :(

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
LOL! I use food and eating related words on my cat all the time when I want his attention. Maybe it's underhanded, but hey, whatever works, right?

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
ok aside from the basic wait and leave it and here one of the most useful non traditional cues I've taught is "get back" which means to back up. It's like a game in our house because it's really funny to watch the big dogs try and hop backwards. The two tibbies are smart enough to know they can just take a step or two back or walk away. Anyway useful for comming in doors with packages, cooking, and in general get the hell out of my way moment.

Hands down though the best thing I've ever done is taught my guys to target. LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE the "touch" cue. Best thing I've ever taught, even better than backing up. Touch, which is just targeting is also for some reason really impressive to people who see it?? I can't understand why but out in public it always gets attention. :) "touch" sells a lot of training classes lol. Anyway it's good for breaking that I'm thinking to hard stage Saleen gets herself into sometimes in training and reinforces the come when called cue. No more comming to just out of reach and then dashing off again. She has to touch the palm of my hand which means I am close enough to touch HER if I needed too. Also nice for when she's after the cats and gets yelled at to knock it off, she usualy has to come and touch so I can put her in a down and make her settle for a minute. :) Even better touch my hand can be turned into touch the light switch or door which can be turned into useful tricks later. It's one of those foundation cues that leads to bigger and better things.

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
Okay, other than the basics, I'd have to say maybe shake? When I ask her to shake she gives me her paw, obviously, which she knows is a good thing because she got treats for it, and I do her nails without so much as a bat of an eye.

·
Registered
216 Posts
At the moment I'm working on getting Inca to put her toys away. Back chaining seems to be working but so far we've just got to her picking up a soft object and with a bit of engineering, getting her to drop it again over the toy box. It'll be awesome when I can say "clear up" or something like that.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Hmm thats a toughy....id say "here" which means get your booty over here now. Also "up" as in the truck on on the grooming table etc. Also "sit stay" or Lay down stay" He is very good at stay and i love that! Also "right here" which is just like heel.
However all of his commands are useful lol.

He also learned "Up and in the back"....which means get up in the truck and get in the back seat so your sisters have room lol.

Oh and also a safety one is "get back and stay back"....when im riding Felis and he is walking alongeside i sometimes need him to stay behind us (not directly behind but just behind the horse) say like if a car is coming....or thats another time that sit and saty comes in handy. He will very rarely break a stay!

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
"Leave it" !!!

I found that command very valuable in many situations- he would just stop whatever he was doing - sniffing the "wrong" thing, to approaching a small child that showed apprehension,to leaving alone a bubble-gum found on the street ; ) !

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Right now with Betty Jo and Jenny still young (15 months) and with 3 kids who don't always put away toys I think my current most useful command is drop it. Its so much easier to have a dog nicely bring you whatever thing she currently has instead of trying to catch her to remove it.

With Sport sit and stay is the best at the moment as he will wait patiently when he comes in for me to get a towel and wipe his paws (they get pretty wet and snowy right now.) Along with that shake is great to get said paw to wipe.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts