Poodle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have bad mosquitoes and ticks where we live, and in order to enjoy our yard, we usually have to spray some kind of residual insecticide twice between June and October. Wearing bug repellent ourselves isn't enough. When my kids were little, I always kept them out of the yard until the next day after spraying (even though it's supposed to be safe within a couple of hours). Besides the mosquito spray we don't use any chemicals on our lawn or any weed killer, nothing like that.
Now that we're getting a pup, I wonder if that is safe, or if a residual will pose a danger. We don't spray it on the lawn, but in the perimeter bushes and other plantings where the mosquitoes rest in the shade.

I've seen a garlic spray recommended, and I'm interested in trying that instead. Other than that, I don't know what to do. If anyone has experience with anything that works and is safe, please advise.

TIA!

·
Registered
853 Posts
I grew some plants the year before last that seemed to help get rid of the mosquitoes. I cannot seem to remember the name right now. Try googling what types of plants repel mosquitoes. I would assume that if you spray says it is safe then it should be safe. I do not know for sure about that.

I hope this helps.

·
Registered
4,503 Posts
The stuff I have says it drys in 2 hours, but I have bark chip in my back yard and it concerns me if after a rain the dogs would get it on their feet and creat a problem by licking them so have not use yet

·
Premium Member
1,558 Posts
We have bad mosquitoes and ticks where we live, and in order to enjoy our yard, we usually have to spray some kind of residual insecticide twice between June and October. Wearing bug repellent ourselves isn't enough. When my kids were little, I always kept them out of the yard until the next day after spraying (even though it's supposed to be safe within a couple of hours). Besides the mosquito spray we don't use any chemicals on our lawn or any weed killer, nothing like that.

Now that we're getting a pup, I wonder if that is safe, or if a residual will pose a danger. We don't spray it on the lawn, but in the perimeter bushes and other plantings where the mosquitoes rest in the shade.

I've seen a garlic spray recommended, and I'm interested in trying that instead. Other than that, I don't know what to do. If anyone has experience with anything that works and is safe, please advise.

TIA!

What is the brand/ name of the spray? I know when I’ve had to have my house treated the guy uses a residual around the baseboards. He say to keep the dogs on thbalcony for two hours while it dries, and then it is safe for them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
15,810 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have also heard something about using mouthwash..hmm... The garlic spray that was mentioned to me is called Mosquito Barrier. It comes in different strengths, or you dilute it. I think you're also supposed to spray it on the grass, too. But i noticed Petsmart sells a garlic spray to keep dogs from eating plants, so I'm wondering if it will also repel my dog!

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
I would probably continue to spray and keep the dog off just as you did your children. Mosquitos & ticks can cause as many problems as chemicals. As much as I dislike using chemicals sometimes its just necessary. Right now and for about a month we have battled these mall spurs that will stick on the dogs or our feet if we don't wear shoes which re very sharp and thin. I think they are called sand spurs (or something similar) We poisoned the yard last year to get rid of them but frankly they came back with a vengeance. So crazy me every few days I sit in a chair and pull out plant by plant. I have 34 of the yards done but whats left is almost complete spurs. I am once again going to be forced to poison. 1. its too hot now to pull and even with gloves they get stuck in my finger tips. So once I do that I am going to coordinate bring dirt in and covering it, then lay new sod. I'm getting too old to do this so I may just bite the bullet and call in someone to do it for me, last quote wa $4000. including sod. Ugh and I know I am going to have to replace the central ac soon, I hope it will last another year.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
I would assume that if you spray says it is safe then it should be safe. I do not know for sure about that.
I used to believe what they said about their products. Sadly there have been too many products over the years which turned out to be NOT safe. So I no longer believe them.

I might consider it if the Environmental Working Group approved it https://www.ewg.org/research/ewgs-guide-bug-repellents/repellent-chemicals But, unless I am wrong, I don't see a spray there for a backyard.

I sure wish we really knew about safety.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Ahh, the perfect yard - supposed to be bug free:)
Now, if only all of my neighbors had not planted trees that are now big and shade my yard. I need some sun!!!

Plant:
Basil
Bee Balm
Catnip
Citronella
Floss Flower
Garlic
Lavender
Lemon Balm
Lemon Grass
Marigold
Peppermint
Rosemary
Sage
Scented Geranium
Pennyroyal

Be sure to read the link, even some of them are a problem if used in different ways...

I hope the bugs do not like you! (They were very fond of me in the past - hoping to change that:)

https://www.proflowers.com/blog/plants-that-repel-mosquitoes

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Mufar42, have you considered artificial turf? We did our back yard in it and just love it. I have attached a photo of it.

The area in the foreground is about half the size of the back area. The gravelled area in the center makes it possible to drive my truck in to unload lumber or other big stuff. I'm not sure why there was a stool in that area or why the hose is there unless I was spraying down places where dogs had pooped on the rocks.

This turf has been in place for at least 10 years and looks as good as new. It is a nice clean place for a poodle to play! I am strongly opposed to the use of any poisons anywhere on our property. I do not want to harm either our dogs or the wild life. The back yard used to grow lots of weeds - now it just looks like a golf course!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Ahh, the perfect yard - supposed to be bug free:)
Now, if only all of my neighbors had not planted trees that are now big and shade my yard. I need some sun!!!

Plant:
Basil
Bee Balm
Catnip
Citronella
Floss Flower
Garlic
Lavender
Lemon Balm
Lemon Grass
Marigold
Peppermint
Rosemary
Sage
Scented Geranium
Pennyroyal

Be sure to read the link, even some of them are a problem if used in different ways...

I hope the bugs do not like you! (They were very fond of me in the past - hoping to change that:)

No wonder we don't have bugs! The only plants we do not have are Floss Flower, Lemon Balm, and Pennyroyal. Of course it helps that we live in the high desert far from any lake or river!

·
Registered
258 Posts
I would assume that if you spray says it is safe then it should be safe. I do not know for sure about that.
I used to believe what they said about their products. Sadly there have been too many products over the years which turned out to be NOT safe. So I no longer believe them.

I might consider it if the Environmental Working Group approved it https://www.ewg.org/research/ewgs-guide-bug-repellents/repellent-chemicals But, unless I am wrong, I don't see a spray there for a backyard.

I sure wish we really knew about safety.
I use to rely on EWG for all sort of things. The more I learn, the more I don’t listen to them. They don’t account for how ingredients work together or for dosages. Both major factors in making bath and body products (which I do for personal use.)

Reactions: kontiki

·
Premium Member
4,371 Posts
Keep in mind that the chemicals are tailored to target organisms that are literally as tiny as a flea... and aimed at their body weight.

Not to say that a dog can't lick every single blade of grass that was sprayed with the chemical, but it would likely have to ingest an ounce of it to be impacted.

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
I actually have considered artificial turf, although I don't have a huge yard I think it would be bit too costly. I will get rid of those nasty spurs and once I get grass growing nice and thick I shouldn't have the problem anymore. I also have lots of plants around, basil, lemon grass some kind of mosquito plant. I did lose many over winter and will need to replenish. Even with all the mosquitos, fleas ticks I do not need to spray often. I may this year but didn't at all last year. I aim using dm (food grade) and so far no problem buggers. I am pet sitting this week and I am having a feeling they may have fleas so tomorrow I will check them over well. I don't want to carry any home.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
No wonder we don't have bugs! The only plants we do not have are Floss Flower, Lemon Balm, and Pennyroyal. Of course it helps that we live in the high desert far from any lake or river!
Wow Johanna! I am so impressed.

I wish I had a yard where all of these would grow. I live in Marquette Michigan, up way north near Lake Superior in about zone 3 or 4, with a shaded yard, so I am not so fortunate, but I am trying them all to see if they might grow regardless :) I really hate the chemicals!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Indeed. Those plants make just kill mosquito's sense of smell, they hate it so much. No wonder that outdoor mosquito coils as mentioned in this list are made of these, especially citronella.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts