Poodle Forum banner

Morning Vomiting

2K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  Dechi 
#1 ·
My poodle mix had lifelong issues with bilious vomiting, which was easily managed with a bedtime snack and minimal activity before breakfast.

Because of this, I've always given Peggy a bedtime snack just to be safe: a handful of kibble or some chicken. But she's nevertheless started vomiting bile in the mornings.

She's not lethargic or dehydrated, and she eats well after each vomiting episode. In fact, it seems to get her appetite going.

This morning she vomited bile in her crate before she'd even come out for the day, so activity doesn't seem to be a factor.

Anyone addressed this successfully in their poodle with something other than an evening snack?

#2 ·
Could she have a food allergy or intolerance To something in her diet? Have you changed anything recently?

#3 ·
About a month ago, we added a bit of canned Weruva food as a kibble topper. The vomiting just started on Monday. Think it could take that long to have an effect?

She's definitely been eating more than she was, since she finally seems to love her food. But she doesn't wolf it down.

She's showing no other signs of a food intolerance and continues to have the most consistently perfect dog poops I've ever seen.

#5 ·
One other thought... I know you have given Peggy some raw bones. I wouldn't be surprised if you see an increase in bile vomiting if she's been getting bone. Raw fed dogs are more prone to it because the stomach naturally increases acidity in order to properly digest bones. This higher acidity makes that yellow bile vomit happen more easily. It's not really a problem and owners manage it by offering snacks (as you have) or by varying mealtimes so the stomach doesn't anticipate it. I hate the smell of the yellow bile though! It can be hard to get rid of when it's in their breath.

#7 ·
I hate it, too!! I actually smelled it a few mornings in a row before I finally witnessed it. Her fluffy face certainly doesn't help.

I didn't attempt raw again after that growling episode. I'm such a chicken! But I wouldn't be surprised if that wet food she's been getting has her digestive juices flowing in the morning. She wasn't the type to eat a whole meal in one sitting until very recently. And the fact that she eats enthusiastically after she vomits suggests to me she's actually hungry.

Funny that less than a week ago I was considering eliminating her breakfasts altogether.

#10 ·
Dechi, it’s been my experience that dogs eat grass when they have an upset digestive tract. ..... not that they eat grass that then causes an upset digestive tract. Solve the digestive problem then they don’t eat grass.

#11 ·
My Neo considers the backyard as his personal salad :). Today he was trying out the clover. I suppose I should check to see if it's toxic.

He and Remo are both occasional morning urpers. Our previous vet was another who said not to worry so long as it remained occasional. They both eat heartily after and do fine. He was the one who suggested the pre bedtime snack with our girls before, who were also occasional urpers.

If it turns out not to be an allergy response, and she's not finding something outside that disagrees with her, maybe a slight increase in her bedtime snack?

Reactions: Dechi
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.