Poodle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an almost 6 year old toy poodle who weighs 6.5. The past week or so, a few times she has thrown up always around 7:15 in the morning. So, I finally got smart and took a picture which I have attached IF you want to see it. I am thinking that perhaps the brown items might be from her toys that she chews and might swallow some fabric. I checked them all out and there are no areas that look like she has really worked on them but she could pull out little threads.
She seems fine afterward and wants breakfast. During the day, nothing happens and she is her usual happy self. I feed her twice daily.
I use Freshpet and have not changed her diet at all.
Any suggestions?

Attachments

·
Registered
7,139 Posts
i can’t see your image clearly enough to determine what those brown pieces are. But that looks like bile with perhaps some residual stomach contents that didn’t move forward overnight in the digestive tract.

If this has happened a couple of times, I would call your vet. She clearly has an upset stomach.

·
Registered
586 Posts
I had a dog that tended to sick up in the early morning, my vet said to give her a bedtime snack. That did take care of it, I guess some dogs just don't like to go too long between meals. I don't know what time you feed the second meal of the day, but try not letting her go to bed on an empty stomach.

·
Registered
8,202 Posts
*This is just my opinion based on my experience.*

Because it's not normal for her to vomit in the morning until this week, I'd suspect something is up. Food should have been 100% digested. So we've got bile and something else. I actually dissect Maizie's vomit and stools when she eats something she shouldn't have (a week or so ago it was one of our new cleaning ladies' rags). Take away those toys with strings and keep an eye on her. I wouldn't waste your money on x-rays or ultrasound if you take her to the vet--they have never picked anything up on Maizie. I'd go with a diet high in fiber (e.g., canned pumpkin) to keep things moving.

Keep us posted!

·
Premium Member
22,959 Posts
I also think you should not just accept this as a "new normal" and think that you have several pieces of good advice. The late night snack my help since it may be that a very empty stomach churning in the morning is the root of the issue. Take away any toys that are falling apart or that your girl can take apart. Those little strings and bits of fluff can end up just sitting in their stomachs. Canned pumpkin or other high fibers additions to her food will also help move things along with regularity.

If there are dry treats or kibble in a dog's diet it can take a long time for those to liquify and move out of the stomach. This is a vestige of our dogs' wild ancestors who did not eat on a regular schedule and developed ways to make food last by holding it in their stomachs longer than we do. "On average, food moves through the canine stomach a bit slower than ours, but food movement through the intestines is a little faster, says Brummer, who is board-certified in internal medicine." from https://www.petmd.com/dog/nutrition/7-interesting-facts-about-your-dogs-digestive-system

Reactions: zooeysmom

·
Registered
8,202 Posts
If there are dry treats or kibble in a dog's diet it can take a long time for those to liquify and move out of the stomach. This is a vestige of our dogs' wild ancestors who did not eat on a regular schedule and developed ways to make food last by holding it in their stomachs longer than we do. "On average, food moves through the canine stomach a bit slower than ours, but food movement through the intestines is a little faster, says Brummer, who is board-certified in internal medicine." from https://www.petmd.com/dog/nutrition/7-interesting-facts-about-your-dogs-digestive-system
That's correct that their food takes longer to digest than ours, but overnight it should be fully digested. Unfortunately, I've become an expert in vomit due to having Maizie. Also, I feed my dogs Freshpet and it gets digested faster than kibble.

I'm still trying to figure out what those items in the vomit look like. But they're definitely not food.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I did not "dissect" the little long strings but I assume it has to be from her little stuffed foxes and squirrels. I have examined them all and will remove some old ones. I will give her a treat - is one small biscuit enough before we go to bed?
Thanks so much!

·
Registered
7,139 Posts
zooeysmom is right - those brown particles are not from Freshpet dog food. I used to feed my dog Freshpet until I learned she was allergic to legumes (Freshpet has peas) and there is nothing dark brown in the food. I didn't fully read your post where you stated you fed Freshpet.

Have you looked around the house for other items? Maybe a throw or blanket? I knew someone once whose dog ate a significant portion of a couch and mattress among other household items.

Could it be something from outside in the yard?

·
Registered
586 Posts
So still would love to know if one small biscuit is enough before bed?
I am not sure what "small" means, but for a dog that size I would think so. To be clear, a dog that gets the early morning vomiting is not sicking up undigested food. It is pure bile and is from the stomach being empty for too long.

·
Premium Member
15,810 Posts
What you are describing are called 'hunger pukes' and everyone's suggestion to feed a small treat before bedtime is right on. My girl has hunger pukes too if she is fed her dinner too early in the evening and don't give her a biscuit or a small handful of kibble before bedtime. You might try feeding her dinner later and then giving her a biscuit at bedtime or just leaving a few bits of kibble in her dish for her 'midnight snack' LOL!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
She is so structured to do certain things at certain times! She goes outside for a "wee" at 10:00, gets a couple of cheerios and sits with us. At 11:00 on the button, she runs into the bedroom and gets into bed - and is telling us "it is time" and stays in bed! She will love the extra treat but I may have to keep it up forever - once I do something, I have to keep doing it. I removed all those toys and gave her others...

·
Registered
7,139 Posts
MollyMuiMa, because of her ulcerative colitis, Babykins will have early morning bile emesis if she ate something she is allergic to or that upset her stomach. When she throws up bile, it's only bile - a yellowish liquid and sometimes with whitish froth. There are no solids in it at all. Which is why I'm wondering about those brown objects in the bile.

·
Premium Member
15,810 Posts
MollyMuiMa, because of her ulcerative colitis, Babykins will have early morning bile emesis if she ate something she is allergic to or that upset her stomach. When she throws up bile, it's only bile - a yellowish liquid and sometimes with whitish froth. There are no solids in it at all. Which is why I'm wondering about those brown objects in the bile.
I hear ya! When it happens to Molly (rarely happens anymore) it is yellow/greenish bile totally! I am hoping after the removal of suspect toys and the giving of a bedtime snack the OP's pup won't have these episodes anymore..... I should also add that if they persist, a Vet visit is probably warranted.

Poor Babykins! It's not fun having an upset tummy!:frown:

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
We used to have a beagle who got hunger pukes in the early morning so we gave her 2-3 small biscuits and that stopped the problem.

Neither Iris nor Poppy ever have had hunger pukes. I think maybe because they free feed and can eat when hungry. Poppy just nibbles a bit off and on through out the day but the majority of her food gets eaten, most often after 8 PM. Sometimes I hear her crunching in the middle of the night as she gets hungry then.

I would hate it if I was hungry in the night and did not have access to a snack.

Iris had a similar eating pattern.

Try a late evening snack and see if that helps.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ta-Da! Last night gave her a small biscuit at 11 pm along with 3 tiny kibbles and this morning - all was fine! I asked her if she wanted a treat and if she could talk, she would have said "WHAT????"
Let's see what happens tomorrow but I am thrilled at the advice I was given by all of you. Thank you. I will keep you updated.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well - the following night we were exhausted and went to bed an hour early. Gave her the treats then BUT she once again threw up around 7:15.
Last night gave them to her at 11:00 and we made it through!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts