Poodle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pogo is not a morning dog. When I left for work this morning he was sprawled across the end of the bed like a flokati rug. He didn't even flick an ear as I got dressed and made my lunch. Every other dog I've ever owned would have been up and about, begging for deli slices and casting a gimlet eye at the leashes by the door.
Are your dogs morning dogs or late sleepers?

·
Registered
3,635 Posts
My dogs are all morning dogs though they wait quietly while I make my coffee and their food. First I take out the boxer and terrier, give them their food and while they eat I take my poodle fluff out, he potties, then comes in and eats (maybe) . Then they all go back to sleep for about 2 hours.

·
Registered
529 Posts
I have one dog, Navy, who is not a morning guy. He is the only dog I’ve ever had who is like this. I’ll admit it seems decidedly un-doggy to pass up breakfast and fun times, but he prefers to sleep in and have fun a little later.

Reactions: kontiki

·
Premium Member
23,162 Posts
Lily is distinctly a night owl and would happily sleep in any morning. Our boys are up with the sun types. Sleeping in for humans is rather a luxury as a result.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
My girl is older, so I am sure that matters. Depends on what's going on. If I am getting ready, she is up, sometimes playing with her toy or following me around. If I am sleeping in, she is fine as long as she has a comfortable place to rest. She used to wake me up to go outside by a certain time, but now she waits until I wake up. I think her brother's behavior of more sleep is better has had an impact on her.

·
Registered
123 Posts
We had one who would not go for her walk until she had breakfast while her colleagues wouldn't eat breakfast until they had had their walk. When the first one was elderly, I used to sneak past her in the morning trying to see if I could make it to the kitchen before she woke up. When she was younger, I'd wake up in the morning and she would already be awake, watching me. She was a little on the rounder side of optimal for a spoo.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Pogo is not a morning dog. When I left for work this morning he was sprawled across the end of the bed like a flokati rug. He didn't even flick an ear as I got dressed and made my lunch. Every other dog I've ever owned would have been up and about, begging for deli slices and casting a gimlet eye at the leashes by the door.
Are your dogs morning dogs or late sleepers?
Albie is most certainly not a morning dog, he lays sprawled out and Huff's when you call him to get up like a petchalent teanager lol proper lazy dog

·
Premium Member
1,558 Posts
My dogs are all morning dogs, but when I had my toy poodle - totally different story!

I would get yo at 7am and had to leave for work a few minutes after 8. I would get out of bed and go through my whole routine, and Rikki would still be sound asleep in the bed. (10 hours after we went to bed). I’d nudge him and shuggle him and move his head from side to side, all the while saying his name and telling him to get up for his walk. More often than not I’d have to carry him downstairs, plop him down on the cold wet grass, and he’d go potties. Once back upstairs it was back on the bed for him as I left for work. He was so lazy!

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
My beloved Spoo sleeps whenever I do! If I sleep 12 hours, so does he:)
I house sat for a friend several times. She assured me that her little dachshund makes her get up at 6:30 every morning to go for a brief walk, then eat, and then will go back to bed with her until 10 am.

Well, I am a night owl. I allowed her little dachshund to sleep in the same bed with me and my Spoo. He did not wake me! And got up at 10 am with me and my Spoo.

I firmly believe she has just allowed her dog to train her. We do have choices in that regard:)

·
Registered
222 Posts
Jessie mirrors me, she doesn't complain about going to bed and always wakes up when we do. Although right after we wake up and let her out to pee, she just settles down on my lap for a nap before her breakfast and morning walk.

·
Registered
592 Posts
My mini mutt is part lab, and is the definition of a morning dog. Before I even crack an eyelid, she is often giving audible hints that she wants breakfast. When I put on my glasses, she is practically bouncing off the walls because she knows breakfast is coming momentarily.

My poodle on the other hand, he is pretty relaxed. He is happy to wait to get up until I get up. He does not linger behind once I leave the bedroom, but he does not loose his mind when my feet hit the floor either.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Mine will sleep until I get up whether that is 6:00 am or 11:00 am. If it’s before 7 or 8 in the morning, she’ll go find someone else’s bed to sleep in after I close the front door. It depends on what time I went to bed as well.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts