Poodle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I posted a topic about poop a week or so ago and now I have another question...

Daphne is 9.5 weeks old. She has "loose stool"... It is not formed. The frequency seems normal...One poop for every meal. She eats a mix of Taste of the Wild High Prairie and Pacific Stream. The gal at the food shop I bought it at said that it would be good to mix since High Prairie alone can be kinda high protein... Not sure if that makes sense, but she certainly sounded like she new what she was talking about.

Anyway I took Daph to the vet today and the vet said it is not normal to have loose stool. Her poop (at 8 weeks) came back negative for worms... so he doesn't think it is that. He was suggesting a diet change. I really really want her to stay on this food because it is also what our Lab is doing really well on (shiny coat nice poop). And I have heard it is a great food.

I am willing to feed two different foods, but not really thrilled about it. Anyway a few of you said that the poop can be loose til like 12 weeks or so...

Can you guys weigh in for me? Should I follow my vet's advice? I really like my vet, but I just feel like it is fine how her poop is.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Do you have a cat, and if so, are you sure Daphne isn't eating the cat's food? The only time Teddy's stool is loose is if he's eaten that. That's why I feed the cat in the bathtub. :D

·
Registered
3,670 Posts
Poo Talk

Instead of "Poodle Talk," maybe they should rename this forum "Poo Talk." That would cover both the subject in general, and one of our favorite topics. We're not obsessed with our dogs, no we're NOT! :loco:

·
Registered
681 Posts
My dogs get runny stool, or unformed stool when they get too much fat. I would check the fat content of the TOTW.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Try adding a small amount all natural yogurt to the food (no art. sugars) daily for a few days. I like Stoneyfield's french vanilla. The cultures/probiotics help with the loose stools. All my dogs get this 1-2 times weekly on a regular basis.

·
Registered
644 Posts
That's why I feed the cat in the bathtub. :D
tell me more? I've been feeding the cat on the kitchen counter since my mini can't reach the counter. The issue is that the cat is elderly and has to be lifted to the counter and then she jumps down, cries to be taken back up, lather rinse repeat 10 times, twice a day.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Littleknitwit -- I changed my little guy's food to the same thing "Taste of the Wild High Prairie and Pacific Stream". He's about 5 years old. And he burps like an old man from it. He never did that before. I changed him back to what he was eating before and the problem stopped immediately. This is what he's on now.

Keep in mind your puppy is a puppy. The Salmon might be too rich for a little puppies digestion?

My dad feeds Goomba Taste of the Wild not that flavor and doesn't have a problem. But Goomba will eat rocks and love it. lol

I'm a big fan of GLUTEN FREE food. I created a thread awhile ago. People posted some of their favorite gluten free food and there are a couple of videos on it too. Here it is below...
http://www.poodleforum.com/5-poodle-talk/7032-gluten-free-poodle-food.html

Loose stool or diarrhea is a sign of gluten intolerance/allergy among many other things. Taste of the Wild says it gluten free. But sometimes I really wonder if the dog food companies all lie.

But again you have a puppy not a full grown dog.

DoeValley Poodles -- Suggestion is a really good one. I give Guido probiotics and it helps a lot. It adds the good and bad bacteria in the flora and fauna in their system. You can buy probiotics for dogs/cats at Whole Foods on the pet isle. Or some other health food stores carry it for dogs & cats.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hmm...maybe I'll try taking away the Salmon aspect. Just do the High Prairie. The protein is 32 percent. Is that too high? Anyone?

·
Registered
11,718 Posts
32 percent sounds higher than average for a large breed puppy food, especially if it is highly digestible animal source protein, rather than grain sourced.I'm not very up on US dog foods, though - I suspect even the same named brands here don't necessarily have the same formulation.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Taste of the wild is a grain free food all stages food.

What is the issue with large breed puppies? I thought it was calcium/phosphorus and just making sure they don't get too many calories? Is the high protein an issue too? I would be happy to just feed her the one kind of TOTW, but I don't want to if the protein is too high.

·
Registered
11,718 Posts
It does seem to be a mine field, with advice changing regularly, but this site has a good summary: Large Breed Puppy Diet Recommendations

I'm not sure that a spoo counts as a large breed by their definition - depends on anticipated adult size, I suppose.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah that is another thing... I don't really think that Daphne is going to be very big. Her parents are big, don't recall exaclty, but I think they were like 25 inches or so, but she was the smallest and the vet said that she probably won't end up as big as them, but you never know until they are finished growing.

Grrr I am so confused now. I am going to feed her only the TOTW High Praire and see what that does, but it is 32 percent protein. From everything I see and read this is an excellent food and now I am doubting myself as to what to feed. Some sites say too much protein is bad, and others say it is good. Who knows...

·
Registered
11,718 Posts
More detailed research here Puppy Protein | B-Naturals.Com Newsletter which found that protein up to 32% didn't cause problems, as long as calcium and calorie levels are OK. As you say, it is very difficult to get a clear answer! I think I would do as you propose - feed the TOTW, watch her poop, her weight and her condition, and balance it that way.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts