Poodle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Poodle Named Moose
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How can I teach moose to swim?

I think playing at the lake has scarred him. He always thinks he can touch so he rarely kicks hard with his back feet and his back is like \ in the water and his front paws are constantly smacking the water hard and not really swimming.

Any advice???

He appears to be frantically trying to keep himself above water with his front feet.

:cool:

·
Registered
209 Posts
Have you tried playing fetch with him in the water? Marley loves that. Usually, we play fetch with a ball, but we found (by accident, the day we forgot the ball) that for water, a stick works much better (i.e., he seemed to have an easier time swimming with it).

·
Registered
329 Posts
LOL! That's exactly how Sam swims :) And he tries to eat all the splashes he is making. He only likes water he can touch in, if it gets much past his belly he makes a quick retreat. He jumped in our pool one time and has never done it again, although he will lean across it from the deck to the point you know he will fall any second but he always manages to save himself. And they are suppose to be great water retrievers, LOL!

·
Poodle Named Moose
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Have you tried playing fetch with him in the water? Marley loves that. Usually, we play fetch with a ball, but we found (by accident, the day we forgot the ball) that for water, a stick works much better (i.e., he seemed to have an easier time swimming with it).
He will play fetch at the lake if he knows it's shallow if he has to swim he won't go get it... even his favorite toy :( HE LOVES splashing through chest deep water and running/hopping at the lake. Deep water.. he just doesn't know how to swim right. Rusty (posted in other dogs) was swimming and is considerably younger and swims 100x better than moose.

Today moose was on his boogie board again in the pool and lost balance went to swim to the edge and got there but then he went under, entirely, I grabbed him and pulled him to the step.

At least moose knows where the steps are in the pool but now I can tell he's gotten frightened since his dip all the way under. I`ll probably let him stay away for a bit and regain confidence.

·
Poodle Named Moose
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think i`ll re-introduce it to him in a couple days, again at the lake, but this time requiring some swimming to 'keep up' with me. This way it's more fun and enjoyable not something he is stuck doing in the pool.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I think a life vest might be a good idea, just so he's not freaking out about drowning. After we adapted a human life jacket for Sammie, he seemed to enjoy swimming much more.

I think it really does depend on the individual dog, and whether he was given experience with water at a young age.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I think a life vest might be a good idea, just so he's not freaking out about drowning. After we adapted a human life jacket for Sammie, he seemed to enjoy swimming much more.
Ah, that is another good idea -- I'd forgotten that we'd tried having Marley swim with a life jacket on, and it definitely made him calmer swimming in the water (though he did not like having it on at first!). You can get life jackets made specially for dogs, too, for all sizes of dogs -- we got ours at REI.

·
Poodle Named Moose
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well a life jacket made Moose a different dog in the water! He was unsure at first as before but after a few minutes he was JUMPING off the steps following us around in the pool. HE LOVED IT! I think after some time he'll not require it... he loved swimming.

·
Poodle Named Moose
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks.

He's dead tired today, sleeping all last night and afte rhis breakfast and outside play thi smorning dead agian!!!

·
Poodle Named Moose
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
We went swimming last night again and he loved it :)

He swims from step to step and when you say 'lets go', he gets apprehensive and wines a second then he jumps off and follows!!! He actually went when I said 'go get..." and left to go get a toy w/out me!

It's amazing how comfortable the life jacket makes him feel... next step is to learn to stop splashing his face / etc and keep his feet under the water :D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts