Poodle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Poodle Named Moose
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we switched Moose from Puppy to adult food a couple weeks ago and he got diarrhea the next day so we figured we better ease him in a little better than 50/50 mix. So we did... were talking 10 pieces adult the rest puppy... he still had diarrhea for a week. Ok, we put him back on ONLY puppy... it's been almost 2 weeks or so now and he still has diarrhea. We are not talking constant diarrhea it starts semi-firm and then goes runny... He goes to the bathroom the same amount of times per-day (approx 1 or 2).

He acts normal, has all his energy, and everything else is fine with him.

Any ideas?

Can we give him yogurt or something to to help build up his digestive stuff?

·
Registered
478 Posts
Try taking away food and giving him some canned pumpkin for a day. Pumpkin can help firm stools. Is it normally just loose or is it stringy (with mucus)? If it is just soft and loose, I don't know that I'd be too concerned but if you have the mucus in it - I'd probably check with a vet.

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
When you did the switch was it within the same brand/forumla of food. Meaning if you were feeding Nutro lamb and rice puppy did you switch him to Nutro lamb and Rice adult?

·
Poodle Named Moose
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We tried his new food mix for a week it didn't work. He's been on his original puppy food for over a week and still upset.

Yes we went from Blue Buffalo Puppy to Adult (50/50) then realized that was to fast and went 10/90 that didn't work so we went back to Puppy and are still on that. :(

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
Hummm, thats a bummer. That was my only idea that perhaps the formula's were switched. Chicken and rice puppy to Lamb and rice adult or something along those lines. Did you check the lable on the bag to see just how different the ingredients are? I can't think of a reason that after a week he should still be upset. I experienced a similar thing switching foods last year. Tummies were upset for almost a week even though they were put back on the origional mix. It wasn't more than a week though. That was switching actual brands and formulas though, I've never had trouble switching from puppy to adult.

I've never tried pumpkin to firm up stools but I do hear that it works. I'm a chicken and rice person. I make it whenever we have upsets in the house to allow everything to reset so to speak.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Poor Moose. Todd, we use to raise baby drop calves & when we had an extended problem w/diarrhea we used a probiotic which we purchased from a feed & supply store, which worked great to stop the problem. Sometimes when an animal has the runs for to long they lose the good bacterias in their intestines. A probiotic will introduce that good bacteria back into the intestine. We have cured many sick animals using probiotics. Saved a 3 wk. old puppy 12 yrs. ago that my dad took from some people with a litter of 9 beagles, whose mother had been ran over and died. The people were trying to bottle feed these pups and were using real rich powered calf milk relacer for them, and scoured them terribly. They were losing pups left and right. We took the pup home with us to try to save it when my dad called and said he thought it would not make it through the night. We gave it pepto-bismol that first night to calm its stomach a little, then the following day gave it a dose of probiotic. I really do not remember how many times we introduced probiotic to this little pup, we pretty much followed the instructions on the label I guess. Well this dog is still alive and doing well today. Sorry to say my Dad isn't, but his beagle is still kickin'. I think I have even seen probiotics sold in pet stores, such as PetCo or Petsmart. If Moose is still having a problem, this may be your solution?

·
Poodle Named Moose
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Poor Moose. Todd, we use to raise baby drop calves & when we had an extended problem w/diarrhea we used a probiotic which we purchased from a feed & supply store, which worked great to stop the problem. Sometimes when an animal has the runs for to long they lose the good bacterias in their intestines. A probiotic will introduce that good bacteria back into the intestine. We have cured many sick animals using probiotics. Saved a 3 wk. old puppy 12 yrs. ago that my dad took from some people with a litter of 9 beagles, whose mother had been ran over and died. The people were trying to bottle feed these pups and were using real rich powered calf milk relacer for them, and scoured them terribly. They were losing pups left and right. We took the pup home with us to try to save it when my dad called and said he thought it would not make it through the night. We gave it pepto-bismol that first night to calm its stomach a little, then the following day gave it a dose of probiotic. I really do not remember how many times we introduced probiotic to this little pup, we pretty much followed the instructions on the label I guess. Well this dog is still alive and doing well today. Sorry to say my Dad isn't, but his beagle is still kickin'. I think I have even seen probiotics sold in pet stores, such as PetCo or Petsmart. If Moose is still having a problem, this may be your solution?
Awesome! I`ll check into it.
This was my thinking behind yogurt.

I have some "human" probiotic which may work fine for dogs too.. I just was not sure.

I`ll check the pet store.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Take some ground hamburger meat,rice and water...I never measure...bring to a boil,simmer until water gone and you have a rice/hamburger mixture.
Let it cool down and grate some raw carrots in.
This should firm up the stool by next day.
The pumpkin works well too.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Probios paste for horses is good and cheap.
You can buy it at most feed stores.
It is quite potent and safe for dogs.

·
Poodle Named Moose
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Take some ground hamburger meat,rice and water...I never measure...bring to a boil,simmer until water gone and you have a rice/hamburger mixture.
Let it cool down and grate some raw carrots in.
This should firm up the stool by next day.
The pumpkin works well too.
Great idea thanks!

He's gotten `firm` again by himself... we will see :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts