Poodle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Poodle Named Moose
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it normal that moose always wants to eat?

Should I be feeding him more?

-Todd

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Some dogs are just eaters ;) Cici my Pit Bull will eat until she can't eat any more, thats why she is not free fed anymore. She can get to where she can be free fed but then she still over eats and becomes fat. All of my other dogs (6) can be and are free fed. Some dogs also act like they are starving at meal time because they think they have to rush or they won't get none.

How much does he eat a day?

Have you ever tried free feeding him?

·
Registered
209 Posts
We always have food out for Marley, so he can eat whenever he wants. But as PP said, that won't work for every dog. If you want to try it, I'd suggest keeping an eye on him. Some dogs literally will eat themselves to death.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Some dogs are just eaters ;) Cici my Pit Bull will eat until she can't eat any more, thats why she is not free fed anymore. She can get to where she can be free fed but then she still over eats and becomes fat. All of my other dogs (6) can be and are free fed. Some dogs also act like they are starving at meal time because they think they have to rush or they won't get none.

How much does he eat a day?

Have you ever tried free feeding him?
How do you free feed your other dogs without letting CiCi be free fed also?

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Dogs as a rule should only be fed once a day. Dont let him make a guts out of himself. Poodles especially should be lean, their body to be just covered. Meaning only a little meat on his rib. You should be able to look down on him and not see the fat go past his ribcage. It must hollow in a little towards his flanks.

Some ppl just think the dog is healthier when its fatter, but this isnt right. Out in the wild they would have their meal and starve once a week so dont worry if he begs, dont give in to him.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I don't think feeding once a day is a good idea for standard poodles, they are deep chested and prone to bloat. Their food should be split into at least 2 equal meals, especially if they are fast eaters which I think you have said Moose is.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Ok, sorry didnt realise he was a standard. Nevertheless, I would feed him a few times a day then but only little. Bloat usually is at it worst if they run after feeding, hopefully this never happens.

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
so I should be feeding my standards twice a day maybe? Teddy is always wanting to eat - he gobbles and then waits to see if anyone else leaves anything for him to lick up! Ginger doesn't eat much - maybe I should give her a little dry food in the am. Thanks for tips! learn so much by reading the posts!

·
Registered
329 Posts
To me its just safer to feed more frequently, but if you do feed just once, limit their activity for awhile after they eat, no running, jumping, or rough housing.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Cici is kept in a separate part of the house with my other two who are fed once a day. The Poodles and my moms Shih Tzu mix are in another part of the house and they are all free fed.

All of my dogs are at a healthy weight save for Jack my moms Mini who gets into the leftover cat food :silly: and he is spoiled.

I agree larger dogs should be fed at least twice a day and on an elevated surface.

·
Registered
209 Posts
As I said, we free feed Marley, who is a miniature. He's 16" at the shoulder and 14.5 lbs -- not overweight by anyone's standards, and probably underweight. But we're not about to shove food down his throat. :) We're of the opinion that free feeding is what keeps him from being obsessed with food. Of course, once a dog is already obsessed with food, free feeding is a bad idea.

·
Registered
627 Posts
I thought elevated feeding seemed like a good idea until I read that Standard Poodles are at risk for bloat which has been linked in studies, along with other factors, to elevated feeding. The following is a link to an article in the Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association:

http://avmajournals.avma.org/doi/abs/10.2460/javma.2000.217.1492

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
I thought elevated feeding seemed like a good idea until I read that Standard Poodles are at risk for bloat which has been linked in studies, along with other factors, to elevated feeding. The following is a link to an article in the Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association:

http://avmajournals.avma.org/doi/abs/10.2460/javma.2000.217.1492
All large and giant breeds are subject to bloat but are more likely to gulp their food when its on the floor and when you have an aggressive eater who inhales the food they are at an even greater risk. There are studies for everything and will find most will contradict each other.

Does my standard eat on an elevated bowl? No, because she is a slow eater and chews he kibble.

·
Poodle Named Moose
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Moose gulps and inhales.
One chomp and it goes down to the belly.
We feed morning and night, sometimes a snack here and there.... way way way far from over weight.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts