Poodle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
LOL! ROTFL!!!

Today I'm continuing with Jessie's pony cut- she's had the shorter body hair with bracelets, almost leathered ears and a longer top knot/neck hair for a while. Today I decided to attempt the mohawk-ish cut on her head for the next phase. It's not easy- lol!!

HAHAHAAA!!! Looks slightly better from the side.

This is just my first pass today- I like to give Jessie breaks during grooming. I still have a long road ahead of me today to tidy things up and try to get the shape right, but I love the face she gave me in that first photo and thought I'd share. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
450 Posts
LOL! ROTFL!!!

Today I'm continuing with Jessie's pony cut- she's had the shorter body hair with bracelets, almost leathered ears and a longer top knot/neck hair for a while. Today I decided to attempt the mohawk-ish cut on her head for the next phase. It's not easy- lol!!

View attachment 463435

HAHAHAAA!!! Looks slightly better from the side.

View attachment 463436

This is just my first pass today- I like to give Jessie breaks during grooming. I still have a long road ahead of me today to tidy things up and try to get the shape right, but I love the face she gave me in that first photo and thought I'd share.
That face!!!!!!

Sent from my STV100-3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
The side view shows her nice profile. Is it my imagination, or is she giving you a look?

Reactions: Zesti_V

·
Registered
7,256 Posts
It does look good from the side. Are you continuing a Mohawk down her back Or in the neck area?

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh, I'm definitely getting lots of stink eye from this poodle today, and I can't say I blame her! Haha!!

Jessie's new 'do still needs some fine tuning and cleanup to fix the shaggyness and wavy mohawk line and other issues, but I think she's had enough for today. I didin't even attempt her feet today (which she hates)- I figured she was already patient enough with me ;)

The mohawk does go down to about her shoulder blades where I attempted to taper it in. She gets lots of mats from her collar, so I need to keep the lower neck on the short side. I'd like to do some more shaping on the top and get a stronger transition line between the short hair and mohawk and fix the shagginess issues too, but that can wait until tomorrow.

I love the look from the side, but straight on or from the back I can't help but laugh. Probably going to be pretty short lived unless I can find a way to make her look less hilarious tomorrow ;)

·
Super Moderator
5,147 Posts
That first photo is classic! I've gotten that look a few times in my life, always while giggling at my grooming prowess (or lack thereof).

For what it's worth, Jessie - I think you look adorable. You're in good hands.

·
Registered
733 Posts
She is giving you some stink eye in that first photo. Lol.

She looks absolutely darling, you are doing a superb job!

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the comments! It's definitely a polarizing look ;) We think it's cute, as does Jessie's former owner and most of my friends. My parents are about ready to disown me for doing this to "their" dog, haha.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I must say I do like the skinnier mohawk better. I think it had to be either skinnier or wider than the first one.
I'll be watching as I think I could get away with this on Raffi! My husband and kids are very adamant about no pompoms lol.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Mohawks are interesting in how they tend to look better from the side than from the front. I wonder how a modified mohawk would look with a wider band just above the eyes, like the bottom of a capital I (in roman case). Or stated another way, a band above the eyes that tapers into the mohawk line at the top of the head. Just a thought.

I love the pony cut, but it creates a couple "problems" (general face expression and collar issues) as it solves other problems (some dogs don't do well with leg hair combing, and some people/dogs benefit from a mostly short cut but enjoy a bit of fluff). It is a fun style, and works well with goofy/playful dog personality types.

I've considered the pony cut for Navy, my toy poodle mix. He really dislikes having his legs combed and the older he gets the more I want to reduce his grooming requirements for his own comfort. If I ever do it, I would probably modify the front and get him a rolled leather collar.

Thank you for sharing your experience with this, and for the giggles. She is adorable with her mohawk, and I'm glad you've found a fluffy alternative to pompoms. ?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts