Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a good picture of the modern clip? Or especially to the groomers out there, do you have a good description of it? I have seen vague pictures of this cut and this is what I would like to keep both Sam and Jenny in, but I can't seem to find a really good picture to take to the groomer. We will be trying a new groomer next time and I want to make sure I'm completely clear on what we want.

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
Oh wow, I'd be afraid to take a dog to a groomer and have a modern unless you knew the groomer could do it and had seen it before. Maybe thats because I'm in an area where most of the other groomers "just shave 'em down". I get a lot of unhappy clients from other groomers who are shocked that I know how to do a lamb or a dutch or... whatever.
A loose discription of the modern is basicly it's a more complex lamb cut with well blended legs, not the saddle bags that some groomers are so fond of. There is also a "crest" for lack of a better word on the back of the neck that blends down from the top knot into the shoulders, almost the way it does on a bichon but less exagerated. The effect should look like the topknot is lovely a round and blends right back into the neck and shoulders in one smooth line. The chest is slightly rounded, not flat, and the front legs should be scissored straight. The rear is a little harder to explain (and do keep in mind this is a loose discription). The back legs should be clipped to show off the dog's angulation, see picture below, and the "cuffs" on the rear legs should be set so that they are more full on the back part of the hock and rounded. Almost like you were growing out hair to put bracelets on the dog.

http://www.intergroom.com/HA-WINNERS-06.htm - scroll down, the poodle winners here are both in moderns. Check out the bichon also so you can see the difference with what I'm talking about on the back of the neck from the topknot to the shoulders.

I'd ask the groomer if they know what a modern is before trying to explain it to them. See what they say. Above I explained it how I would explain it to myself actualy doing it. Everything should be scissored to one length and blended in there shouldnt be any major noticeable differences in coat length except on the topknot.

Not sure I've been any help, my thoughts are a bit scattered..... LoL I KNOW what I'm trying to say :p

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I couldn't find a good pic and those are perfect! Right now I can't find a groomer I fully trust to do anything at all. I plan to start stopping into different shops and talking to them about what they can and can't do and what they have and haven't done. Until I find someone, they won't be going to anyone for anything more than a bath and face, feet, and tail. I may end up having to figure out how to do it myself. I'm pretty good at scissoring the body and legs, but I'm never happy with his head. It always just looks a little off to me.

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
LoL, I hate that when there is just one thing on a dog that never looks quite right. I have a dog that comes in all the time that I just cannot for the life of me make his head round. It drives me crazy!

Pictures are always helpful!! A good groomer should be able to look at a picture and re-create what they see, so long as you are specific on how long you want the coat to be. I'm a very visual person, so if you can show me a picture I can usualy do it, or come close. Sometimes a picture is the only way I know what I client is really trying to ask for. Although I have a yorkie that comes in who get a schnauzer trim and momma brought a pictures of a schuanzer for me to see... guess she figured I hadn't seen one before lol. Anyway not only did she bring me a pictures of a show dog BUUTT it was also a standard schn which look in the ring look kinda different from the pet Mini schn trim she was asking for. LoL, I saved it in her file and did my own thing, which I am proud to say momma LOVED!

·
Registered
843 Posts
Here is a picture of Gunther at 7 months,he was in a puppy show cut.
I must say,that he is most certainly getting lighter.
Wasn't he a handsome baby boy?

·
Registered
843 Posts
Thanks...I think he was/is beautiful.
He was shown as a puppy and did really well.
The breeder had to let go of some dogs.
Her first choice was to place him in a show home,but reluctantly let me adopt him as a pet.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Thanks...I think he was/is beautiful.
He was shown as a puppy and did really well.
The breeder had to let go of some dogs.
Her first choice was to place him in a show home,but reluctantly let me adopt him as a pet.
Well he's gorgeous either way. On Christmas day I was showing all my relatives how handsome Gunther is. I couldn't resist showing the pic with him looking out the window. Everyone was going goo-goo over him. That is the prettiest picture!

Now that would be a great picture in a Poodle calendar!

·
Registered
912 Posts
Love Gunter in his puppy clip - so much fur :smile: I haven't cut a proper top knot into T so his head still looks puppyish and I might keep it that way so I have something to work with when we go for the modern in 5 - 6 months. It looks a little strange cause he is shorter than a full puppy clip but my plan is to grow it out again from this length so shouldn't take too long to get it looking more in balance.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Here is a picture of the toned-down puppy clip.
The head is trimmed to similar shape as the 'show cut' but far easier to deal with than the top knot.
Trouble is...when describing to groomers,they always seem to do the traditional poodle head trim.
I really like this shape,even on an older dog.

·
Registered
912 Posts
That looks pretty similar to how T is now. I would post a pic but as I have been unable to bath him I am not going to embarrass him or me by putting up a manky pic :rofl:

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I like the head like that too, and I can't mess it up as bad as I do trying to get a regular trimmed one. I groomed both Sam and Jenny today. Took me ALL DAY, I must be really slow. I didn't even clip Jenny at all just a bath, blow dry, and nail grind. She didn't take all that long, but Sam Whoooo! My back is killing me! I'm going to try to do this more often then it shouldn't take me quite as long. My blades need sharpened too, that doesn't help matters. Anyway I left Sams head alone so it looks kind of looks like that. His ears are still growing back from when that groomer shaved him all over. I miss his long feathery ears:-(

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
There was a member that joined a while back and she had gorgeous adult Poodles with a cut like that. I'll try to find the pics.

·
Registered
843 Posts
I love the lion head like that,but as I said before...groomers don't seem to grasp it.
I guess pictures would do the trick.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts