Poodle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As a puppy, Mochi could not get enough of playing with other dogs; big, little, young, old, poodle or pittie; she begged them all to play, all the time. Then when she was 7mo she was attacked by a large dog. She never again asked a dog bigger than her to play again, and soon didn't even ask smaller dogs to play. She focused on the people, which she had always loved and who had never hurt or scared her.

Four years later I've stopped even thinking of seeing her play with any dog other than Chuui. We went to my sister's this weekend. The plan was to stay at her house so we could visit with her and her family who we haven't seen in a year, and meet their new dog Lily. Lily is about 14mo and a lab/pittie mix. She was adopted about 6 months ago. We thought Lily an Chuui would get along because Chuui likes to run with the big kids at the dog park. What we forgot was that outside the dog park, Chuui is protective of me and Mochi against any dog bigger than her. My sister's house did not provide the best opportunity to introduce them and things were tense, to put it nicely. So a hotel was booked and we managed our visit without any blood spilled. Lily did get some lessons in doggy manners courtesy of Chuui and Mochi who did not appreciate her untrained puppy energy and desperation to play with other dogs.

This morning I took the girls out behind the hotel as usual for their wake-up pee before we packed up to check-out, and soon we were joined by a woman and her doodle. As soon as the girls saw this dog, they stopped everything. Chuui walked to the end of her leash and SAT while keeping eye contact. Mochi started pulling towards them. The woman called out to ask if they could say Hi since her dog was ignoring the purpose of their visit to the pee area anyway. I fully expected Mochi to immediately start jumping on the woman as usual and prepared to reel her in before she passed the doodle, but was SHOCKED to realize she was focused on the full grown doodle and was already asking him to PLAY!!! She stood upon her back legs and pawed the air like she used to do as a puppy when she wanted large dogs to notice her! I just stood there with my mouth open like a doofus. Chuui was walking around the doodle and Mochi like she didn't know what to do - normally she'd have a dog all to herself to play with. The doodle was 12mo and wanted to play with both of the girls, but wasn't sure who to respond to. He tried to invite Chuui to play while offering his belly to Mochi since she wasn't actually interacting yet. He was so gentle and polite while being energetic at the same time. Just like Mochi when she was a puppy.

The doodle's momma was apologizing that he was pushing them to play, so I told her I was thrilled that Mochi was interacting because of her fear since the attack.

I wanted to stay out there forever and let her play, but alas, time was not on our side. I literally had tears starting in my eyes at the thought that Mochi may play with a big dog again, and I'm sure the fact that she could tell this dog was at least part poodle was what made all the difference. She has had large polite dogs try to get her to play before and she would avoid them like the plague until she was snapping at even their most gentle play request.
:alberteinstein::amen::angel::biggrin:

·
Premium Member
15,810 Posts
I agree..........poodles are a cognizant of their own kind! Molly will greet all dogs with a polite sniff and then ignore them or warn them off if they get too 'personal' and then will come and sit at my feet, but will only invite poodles or poodle mixes to actually 'play!'
I think poodles are a little prejudiced!!!!
Molly, in her maturity, will even put her young Golden Ret. cousins in their place now!

Reactions: BrooklynBonnie
1 - 3 of 3 Posts