Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just read on a different thread about mixing colors willy-nilly and that got me wondering what colors shouldn't be mixed and why? I have read brown and white shouldn't mix because you get light points, but what other color combos are bad?

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Okay Know this
Mixing red with brown produces brown noses eye rims and possible yellow eyes. Red is a recessive that is trying to be made dominant.. So mixing is not a good idea. At this point anyway :) Bringing Apricot in depending on the dog and the colors they carry (Again color testing issue ) can be used.. If the apricot carries Black points and the red gene this is a plus in trying to improve comformation that is ..

·
Registered
109 Posts
Another mix that is not good is mixing silver with red as that causes fading or slivering of the red, which is not an attrative color IMO like silver beige which is a silvered brown. A silvered red is also not the same color as an apricot which is more orangy-yellow.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Really browns should only be bred to browns, sliver beige, cafe latte, or black. They are the only color or color group that look good in liver points.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Red can be bred to red, apricot and black. Black would darken the pigment and improve the conformation of the reds.
Lol, exactly...

Anyway,

I don't really like the "faded" brown colours, so I would suggest that brown only be bred to black or itself, because if you did so, I would think you would lose that lovely dark brown colour, as it would just fade.

And, I was wondering...

Silvers should only be bred to white, blue and black?

But I would think it wouldn't help the black out...

·
Registered
109 Posts
I wonder about the silver to black thing too. .. It seems if you wanted inky blacks then you would avoid silver

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yellow eyes? Like cat eye yellow or more of a caramel kind of light brown? I don't think Ive seen a spoo with anything but milk chocolate to dark brown eyes, but then Ive never seen a red or apricot spoo in real life either. My experience is limited. If anyone has photos of yellow eyes and actually any of the other things that can go wrong with mixing colors that would be educational and interesting as well. There's just so much I don't know.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I think She ment amber eyes or the light carmel eyes that some browns have. Its the light eyes in a dark face look.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think She ment amber eyes or the light carmel eyes that some browns have. Its the light eyes in a dark face look.
Oh, and here I was imagining a jet black spoo with yellow Thriller eyes. Im sure the light eyes probably wouldn't show up in a black anyway, but it sure would have been striking.

Are there health reasons not to breed certain colors together, along with the fact that they produce dogs which are not up to standard color wise, such as double dapple being fatal in dachshunds, etc?

·
Registered
109 Posts
I do not believe that there are health concerns about mixing colors in poodles like there are in dachshunds with reguard to double dapple. I am actually familar with that as we have a dapple dachshund.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
I do not believe that there are health concerns about mixing colors in poodles like there are in dachshunds with reguard to double dapple. I am actually familar with that as we have a dapple dachshund.
Other than that "some people" say certain colours carry certain health issues, which could be due to many different reasons... not because that colour is associated with an issue

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Such as white boxers are typically deaf and more prone to some cancers (according to what Ive heard anyway). Im assuming white poodles with light points could be more prone to skin cancer? Ive never heard of different problems being more common with different colored poodles. Genetically based?

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Such as white boxers are typically deaf and more prone to some cancers (according to what Ive heard anyway). Im assuming white poodles with light points could be more prone to skin cancer? Ive never heard of different problems being more common with different colored poodles. Genetically based?
Well according to some people, some colours carry more issues than others, most likely because they have been around longer i.e. Black

I don't know enough about white boxers, but usually with the lack of pigment, the more likely skin issues and other things pop up, hence why white poodles should have black pigment. I know with the white dobes, they have many issues and weak immune systems, but is most likely because of their poor breeding

·
Registered
12,183 Posts
I don't think you should breed silver to black unless the black had a ton of silver behind it.

The nicest breeding my Mom did was for Thinker's litter, and his Mom (white) was bred to silver. There were two whites and seven silvers in the litter, who all turned out to be the gorgeous, even silver Thinker is. If I had been breeding them, I would've bred those kids back to silver, and their kids back to white again. Gorgeous coloured babies.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
This is the correct way to breed silvers as silver is a fading color.. So bringing in the white would be correct Your mother knew what she was doing with this one.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts