Poodle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am the new owner of a red spoo. Her nane is Sookie and she is 17 weeks old. She is a big girl already at over 25lbs. She is the first spoo I have had. The others were toys. I wanted to ask a few questions to see if anyone can help me with her behaviors. She eats everything when we are outside. Rocks, wood, moss, dirt, honestly anything. She will drop it for a treat. It is so disruptive if I am trying to do any training as she is totally fixated on what she can put into her mouth. Are spoo's mouthy? My others were not. Walking her has been hell. She is all over the place and is so stubborn. She is getting worse and not better. She has little tantrums and grabs at the leach if she has to stay at my side. If I let her run, she is great. I wanted to take her to puppy classes but we are sheltered in and I think it will be aware before I can do that. Does anyone have any suggestions? My vet suggested a muzzle but I really don't want to do that to her. Thanks so much for any thoughts. I did not have any training issues with the toys. Other than that, she is a big sweet girl (most of the time) and also a goofball! Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
1,519 Posts
We use a stuffed animal to redirect so.e of Pogo's bad habits. Pogo always carries a stuffed animal on walks now. Originally he just did it simply because he liked having a stuffed animal. He would sneakily grab one as we set out. Then we realized having a stuffed animal in his mouth diminished the leash reactivity issues we could never train out. Instead of barking and chewing his leash he shakes the stuffed animal. Added bonus, the neighbors think he is adorable when they see him walking along with a teddy bear in his mouth. So now we make sure we bring one of his favorite bears on every walk. (We do have to carry it for him when it gets hot, and he needs to pant.)

·
Premium Member
9,706 Posts
Buck was a total PITA at that stage. I started wearing a fishing vest with pockets for treats, poo bags, tug toys, you name it. Buck works for treats and that was key to any success we had. I always tried to be firm but fair, keep to a schedule and celebrate every modest training goals he achieved. Not only are they mouthy, they’re slow to mature. Plan on two to three years until poodle perfect or just not a PITA:)

·
Registered
12,502 Posts
If you have access to an enclosed space, or even a decent sized space at home, I would teach her to walk beside you without a leash before trying with one. Make it a happy game, with lots of praise and treats, so that bouncing along beside you as you twist and turn and run away and pretend to try to shake her off is the very Best Thing Ever. Once she knows and likes the game add a cue - I use With Me. When she thoroughly understands that add the leash, and go back to being really exciting and treating, with very tine treats, every second and then every few seconds. Expect her to be overwhelmed all over again when you take a behaviour she "knows" at home out into the wide world, and up the rate of praise and reward accordingly. Remember that at 17 weeks she is the equivalent of a 4 year old child - short attention span, easily distracted, and learning best through play!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you all so much. I appreciate and will use all of your suggestions. It gives me hope!

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
My boy was the mouthiest puppy ever! But he did grow our of it and wouldn't think of putting his mouth on you now at 2. Once he lost those shark teeth it was much better. Using a stuffy to redirect is a great idea. I also lured with treats when I walked him at my side. I held a treat in my hand and he followed closely trying to sniff my hand. When I would stop walking I would have him sit and treat. Then I would say heel and continue walking with a treat. My boy at 2 is still a very active guy but he love a game of fetching the ball. It really tires him out. The first year with him I thought maybe I made a mistake as I've trained many other dogs without any problems but he has been my busy boy. But now he is very good and I would trade him for anything. I guess because poodles are so smart and bouncy they need to be doing things whether it be brain games, normal sit stand, down etc. training and a nice walk and some off leash play time.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the hints. Today I gave Sookie a tennis ball to carry on for our walk and it was so much better! She loves her treats and she did really well with walking as long as I had one in my hand. I plan on getting her a stuffie as soon as I can. I think she will like that. Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Don't worry about her! Sounds like a typical poodle! My mini is 13 months now but was a nightmare at that age. He was horrible on leash. Incredibly stubborn. It's hard to even describe how difficult it was to even have him walking forward with me. He would refuse to budge or lie down in the grass and refuse to get up. He was so fascinated with plants and sticks and rocks and didn't want to leave any behind. He couldn't comprehend the reason I wanted to walk past all the cool stuff. But we practiced a lot and he slowly got better. I had to carry treats constantly to coax him forward when he wanted to stay and sniff things. Sometimes I had to pretend I was about to run off to get him to come with me. But he got better and so will your pup.

Mine also constantly ate leaves and sticks and nuts. It was impossible to stop him and I tried to only take things away if I thought they were truly dangerous. Eventually he got bored of them. He still loves rocks and will carry around his favorites. But I don't think he has any inclination to swallow them.

And lastly, yes poodles can be incredibly mouthy. Mine was like a Tasmanian devil. He grew out of it by 8-9 months though. It gets better!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks so much. I am so glad I posted in this forum. This is my first standard and she is quite the girl! I have noticed small improvements since she came to us. I appreciate hearing the stories as it gives me hope that she will grow up and behave. Lol I have pretended to run away as well! We go through a lot of treats in this house. We have only had her a couple months and she already recognizes the Chewy.com boxes. Thanks for your post!

·
Premium Member
4,117 Posts
Asta recognizes the Chewy boxes too -sniff sniff sniff, paw the box - Mom why don't you open it up RIGHT AWAY. I recently surprised him with an Amazon box with treats in it. Same sniff sniff sniff, paw the box. so He Surprised me. He will not do this with other boxes - Now how did he know there were treats in the Amazon box? Amazing nose, I don't know.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts