Poodle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm new here. I am owned by a black toy poodle girl named Figgy Pudding who is 2 years old and has 3 1\2 legs from a birth defect. We will also be adopting a brown\cafe´au lait girl we will be naming Jisoo, hence my user name. We should be picking her up tomorrow and will post photos then, if I can figure out how.

I have several questions about Jisoo. She is full standard poodle but is full grown at a bit over 20lbs. Her mom is about 35lbs and dad is close to 50lbs. I have met both parents (and a sibling who is close to 60lbs). Other full siblings rang from 30lbs-60lb, but most are on the smaller side. Jisoo's growth was apparently severly stunted because she almost died from the parvo virus and was hospitalized for over a month. She is the only pup out of a litter of 5 to survive. My question is this, is it normal for a parvo puppy to have their size so drastically stunted, and is she now considered a miniature poodle because of her size even though her parents are standards?

The parents are the only dogs the breeders own and she looks exactly like them, especially the dad, except for her size so I believe she is actually their pup. Jisoo is 8 or 9 months old, if I remember correctly, but will double check her birthdate tomorrow. The breeders are backyard\hobby breeders and are not asking for $ for the pup, they just want her to have a good home.

We understand that Jisoo may have long-term health issues resulting from having Parvo and are confused about her size, but will love her and take care of her just the same.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
She was born May 31st so is 6 months and 2 days old. Perhaps she will grow more then? Any size she ends up being is fine of course.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Congrats on getting your new poodle! I have heard that parvo can stunt growth in puppies. It is possible that your puppy may still grow biger.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Hello and Welcome to you, Figgy Pudding and Jisoo. I can't help with your question on Jisoo's growth in relation to the parvo, but it sounds like you know there can be challenges ahead and you're willing to tackle them.

Poodle breed sizes are determined by height at the shoulder, so a toy is up to 10", miniature is 10"-15" and standard is over 15". That said, they are still some size variations that happen such as oversize toy and oversize mini, but if bred from toys they are still toys, from minis are still minis, and in Jisoo's case, a standard if bred from standards.

A standard generally reaches full maturity by 18-24m, with most of the growth in the 1st year or a bit sooner.

Here's a link for size info from a retired breeders website

POODLE PUPPY GROWTH CHARTS

·
Premium Member
15,810 Posts
You are very brave to take on this pup to love and nurture! Because Parvo affects the digestive system the nutrients needed for growth just are not absorbed properly and she may or may not grow more....it all depends on how much cell damage she sustained as a result of the Parvo. I do know Gastrointestinal problems are common, as are heart, liver, kidney, and immune system problems too. I am hoping she is one of the lucky ones that goes on to live a happy, normal, healthy life! Bless you and good luck! Hope to see pics soon!
As far as size it depends on her height from shoulder to floor, not weight......if over 15" she's still a standard!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the great info. Jisoo is currently about 17" tall so I guess she still counts as a standard even if she doesmt grow any taller.

·
Registered
3,526 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I can't say much as to the affects of parvo in later life but kudos to you for adopting. I do believe that the pup will be considered a standard if bred from standards even though her size will not meet the "accepted standard" of size. Otherwise every pup that was bred and went over or under size to standard would have to be re-registered and that would not work. I think it is wonderful that you have taken on "special" pups. Best of luck with her and looking forward to seeing pictures of both your pups.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
I would definitely expect your 6-month-old puppy to grow some more. My girl Cammie was 26 lbs, 19 in when she was 6 months. As an adult, she is between 35 and 38 pounds -- 38 at her most recent vet visit, but she was 35 or 36 for several years.

I'd ask your vet about the Parvo. My guess is that your puppy will not have lasting effects, but I don't know.

Congratulations! Looking forward to hearing about your new companion.

·
Premium Member
22,964 Posts
It is wonderful of you to rescue this little standard girl (and she is a standard). I hope the people you got her from will stop the BYB after they lost so many pups to parvo. That is very sad and pretty irresponsible. But again good on you.

Reactions: MollyMuiMa

·
Premium Member
15,810 Posts
Thanks for all the great info. Jisoo is currently about 17" tall so I guess she still counts as a standard even if she doesmt grow any taller.
I think her size (17") is perfect! She just needs to put on weight which will happen as she ages if her diet and digestion are good.....high quality food is a must for this lucky little girl! Do read our past threads here on food....they should help you! Good luck!

P.S. Can't wait to see her pic!!!

·
Premium Member
15,810 Posts
I think her size (17") is perfect! She just needs to put on weight which will happen as she ages if her diet and digestion are good.....high quality food is a must for this lucky little girl! Do read our past threads here on food....they should help you! Good luck!

P.S. Can't wait to see her pic!!!

·
Registered
4,502 Posts
So nice of you to take the baby. My friend got the sister to my Cayenne, she is about 3.5 lbs, and the breeder did not get her leg fixed (knee problem. I got he for my friend free expecting her to have the leg fixed but did not. I wish I had taken the dog myself

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Figgy Pudding was born with missing bones in her leg\paw. She is missing all of her wrist bones and a few in her paw so the paw mostly just flopps and is also sideways. Sorry if that sounds graphic. Thankfully it doesnt cause her any pain or discomfort and since its a front leg it doesnt slow her down at all either. We got her at a year and a half old. We have considered amputation, but since it doesnt really affect her Im having a hard time putting her through that pain etc.

Jisoo's breeders had the mom (who is already 9) spayed because they felt she is too old to be bred again and mostly because there is no real way to make sure all of the Parvo visus has been killed in their house and yard. They were very careful with the litter apparently, keeping shoes out of the areas where the pups were etc, but it didnt do any good. Parvo is really prevalent here in western Colorado unfortunately, partially because so many people can't afford to, or choose not to, vaccinate their dogs. I think thats ridiculous though because even Murdocks sells the puppy shots for under $10. Anyway, I could go on about that subject so should probably stop now. ? This was their 1st attempt at breeding and they have decided that it is far too heartbreaking. It's certainly not something I could do.

Jisoo is still really thin so we will be slowly upping her food and changing it to something other than Purina. Figgy Pudding is on Fromm so we may stick with thay for Jisoo as well.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts