Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
My Toy and Miniature Poodle act the same... I'm not sure how they would differ from the Standard much (though I have never owned a Standard).

Lincoln (11 month red mini boy) moves non-stop. He's always exploring and getting into something. Very naughty, but also very smart. He jumps like nobodys business. I can teach him things in a matter of minutes. Loves people, other dogs. Always has a toy in his mouth (that he tries to sneak outside with). Loves to dig. Is excelling in agility training atm.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
From my research and personal opinion...

Good - Nice compact size (not too big, not too small), not as yappy as some smaller dogs, high energy but not overly hyper, fewer genetic health issues than standards, good size for kids if you want a smaller dog (not too small)

Bad - Can be more hyper than Standards, can be more noisy than standards, less common so harder to track down a good breeder than for toys or standards, fewer shown in conformation (so can be hard to title if you're interested in that)

Obviously as I don't have my dog yet, this is largely based on research rather than experience. :)

Here's a site I used quite often when researching the different breeds: http://www.yourpurebredpuppy.com/reviews/miniaturepoodles.html

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh yes I've been to that site. It seems to say the same things about minis and standards.

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
Wow I always considered the standard poodles less common than toys or mini's. Must be my area, we have a lot of wonderful BYB's here and the petshops always have them as well.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Wow I always considered the standard poodles less common than toys or mini's. Must be my area, we have a lot of wonderful BYB's here and the petshops always have them as well.
Or could be my area! Here in Ontario the mini classes are generally pretty small at shows, while the standard entries are larger. And mini breeders are less common than standard. I don't really know about toy, but they seem to be more popular than minis. So maybe different regions/ countries, different sized poodles?

·
Registered
180 Posts
Duncan seems to need a fair amount of work for his size. Certainly not yappy, but still a great watchdog. Brilliant wee agility fella. Quick to learn, very active, incredibly full on. Big dog = little(ish) body.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've never even seen one in person that's how rare they are here.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
The wonderfully nice groomerlady that I found for Perry had a mini poo on the table when I made my appointment (which made me have some confidence in her!) she said that he has standard brothers and his mom says that he can out play them all day any day.

Dunno, I kind of have my heart set on a mini once my dogs get older and... well... leave us. I've really enjoyed my poodle experience thus far and want to continue it down the road :)

·
Registered
372 Posts
Miniatures seem to get lost in the whole Poodle scheme of things. Why get a medium size dog when you can get a "cute little itty bitty teacup toy" or a "hardy standard hiking buddy type dog".

Lincoln's from toy parents and he's almost close enough that I could reg. him as a Standard (he's about 13-14" tall the last time I measured him). LOL

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Miniatures seem to get lost in the whole Poodle scheme of things. Why get a medium size dog when you can get a "cute little itty bitty teacup toy" or a "hardy standard hiking buddy type dog".

Lincoln's from toy parents and he's almost close enough that I could reg. him as a Standard (he's about 13-14" tall the last time I measured him). LOL
This is REALLY off topic... and very sad... but this reminds me of this week's episode of Private Practice (TheFiance and I are addicted to Grey's and Private Practice)... two little people wanted to selectively choose an embryo that would be little like them, because a child of normal stature wouldn't fit in with their lifestyle and their friends, etc. I'll stop right here... and let you all revel in my nerdiness!

Short poodle parents = tall poodle baby... it was a stretch, but I swear that popped right in my head after I read your post! Sadly...

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
I like minis , but would never buy a toy. Minis are much closer in temperament to standards (if bred well) and also very athletic and pretty "sturdy" for their size. Mini is more energetic , more active than standard, yet does not need as much space as standard to exercise ! Mini lives longer on average than standard, as far as I know. BUT, somehow BYB's got hold of most of their breeding and it is hard to find good mini breeder, but definitely doable !

Mini can be a perfect compromise for a person who does not have a big yard, wants to travel a lot with a more compact dog and wants to have a dog that is easily groomed at home and easily handled in general. In a well bred mini, intelligence is absolutely same as with standard and temperament almost same - mini on the more active side.

I have a friend who has standard and mini and she always points out how the only difference between them is the size and it amazes her still LOL. They are best buddies !!!

·
Registered
875 Posts
All the minis I have met- true minis- not oversized toys were pretty drivey

higher energy level than standards, but more comfortable around kids than toys- and hardier too. I have considered going to minis, coat care is less labor intensive, and they are more portable (LOL) than standards.

I think its harder to get a good mini because you have two height restrictions instead of just one.

I want a brown one....someday ill get one :)

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What frightens me most about minis is temperament varieties. I guess it's a long process of looking for the person that breeds for the same things you want out of a dog. It's a lot of talking that's for sure.

·
Registered
875 Posts
how old are your kids?

in general they are like smaller standards, and thus are less likely to knock down really small kids
but yeah I have seen some crazy temperments come out of all sorts of breeds that are supposed to be good with kids, but at least YOU know to go to a good breeder and not a petstore or BYB- I cant say the same for every parent

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have 5 that start at 13 and the youngest is a 2 year old girl. They get knocked down by Harry when he gets a little too happy and in his zone where he's not paying attention. I think I was looking at a mini from the prospective of grooming a smaller dog. Grooming Harry for hours, my entire body hurts when I'm done because of the reach.

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
I have 5 that start at 13 and the youngest is a 2 year old girl. They get knocked down by Harry when he gets a little too happy and in his zone where he's not paying attention. I think I was looking at a mini from the prospective of grooming a smaller dog. Grooming Harry for hours, my entire body hurts when I'm done because of the reach.
Are there any other breeds your willing to consider? You may want to try another pet forum just to watch and see whats out there. I am a member of another one its pretty large (not on often anymore) before finding this one (which I like a lot) and there is a lot of variety out there. Food for thought.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I grew up with minis...back when they were in the 15-25lb range. They were very sturdy, athletic, loyal, friendly, not hyper at all, not barky unless provoked or alerting us. My standards were the most vocal and had more energy than I was able to keep up with. LOL! I would LOVE to have a large mini/small standard but the mini's I've come across in the past few years have been hyper, noisy, and expected to weigh at 10-13lbs full grown. And, the standards I've seen within a day's drive from me have been very large...in the 65-90lb range.

Where are the medium sized poodles?!?! LOL!

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Are there any other breeds your willing to consider? You may want to try another pet forum just to watch and see whats out there. I am a member of another one its pretty large (not on often anymore) before finding this one (which I like a lot) and there is a lot of variety out there. Food for thought.
Why are you so insistant that I need to try another breed? No, there are no other breeds I would consider because 1. I have allergies to many breeds, 2. I want to become a professional groomer and 3. I know this breed because I own one.

I like the poodle. I enjoy their coat care and their personalities and their loyalty to their families.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I grew up with minis...back when they were in the 15-25lb range. They were very sturdy, athletic, loyal, friendly, not hyper at all, not barky unless provoked or alerting us. My standards were the most vocal and had more energy than I was able to keep up with. LOL! I would LOVE to have a large mini/small standard but the mini's I've come across in the past few years have been hyper, noisy, and expected to weigh at 10-13lbs full grown. And, the standards I've seen within a day's drive from me have been very large...in the 65-90lb range.

Where are the medium sized poodles?!?! LOL!
See that's what I thought a mini was! I see a lot of refined looking minis and they just look like large toys so I get worried that the temperament is like a toy. I don't like toy breeds as a general rule so I wouldn't want an oversized toy for that specific reason. This is all just information gathering at this point. I have no immediate plans.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts