Poodle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I'm new here and brought home my new miniature poodle puppy a week ago tomorrow. His name is Cooper and he is apricot in colour. His mum was black and his dad was apricot. Mum was on the smaller side of miniature and dad was taller. Cooper is very small and when he had a check up at the vet 2 days ago, the vet commented on how small he is. After checking him over, she said he is healthy. Should I be concerned about him being small? He has definitely grown since he came home and is lively and energetic, sometimes too much 馃き馃き馃き I had a toy poodle years ago and he reminds me of the size he was when we got him. I have seen his parents and got pupdates every few days from the breeder. Thanks in advance for taking the time to read this post x

Premium Member
Hi and Welcome to you and Mini Cooper :).

I've asked our Super Moderators to move your post out of the administrative area and to somewhere more appropriate to your question. You won't need to do anything.

A bit more detail would be helpful. When you say small are you referring to height? weight? How old was he the day of the vet visit? Does your vet have a lot of poodle experience?

For comparison, my two mini boys were 2.8lbs (1.27kg) and 2.3lbs (1.04kg) at 8 weeks and 4 days old.

Reactions: Liz

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your reply 馃榾 he is small in height and weight although his weight seems proportionate to his height if that makes sense lol. He was a little smaller than his litter mates however, the breeder said his mum was small at his age too. The vet didn't actually tell me his weight and he is seeing the vet again on Thursday this week. Hopefully there will be an improvement. He has definitely grown taller, longer and rounder since being here and no problems feeding at all x

Premium Member
Mia, Christmas in June 2010
It sounds like once you get a chance to weigh him, you'll have a good idea of whether he'll be a mini or a toy.

As an aside, I got a good laugh from your cans of Irn-Bru. It's tough to find in the US at a reasonable price.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It sounds like once you get a chance to weigh him, you'll have a good idea of whether he'll be a mini or a toy.

As an aside, I got a good laugh from your cans of Irn-Bru. It's tough to find in the US at a reasonable price.
Is it possible for him to be a toy if parents were miniatures? I know it goes with height and not weight so I guess based on that it could be possible??? He is a great little dog, full of energy and very inquisitive, keeping me on my toes for sure so I am not overly concerned. He has made a huge difference to my family and has settled in well already. I am in sunny Scotland lol so Irn Bru is easy to get here 馃槀馃槀 x

Premium Member
Mia, Christmas in June 2010
Poodles are classed by height not parentage. Just like two tall parents can have a short kid, two minis can produce a toy (or even a standard). I believe the cutoff in the UK is under 28 cms for a toy.

I figured. Over here those cans are like gold - well, in certain circles at least. Do we not have a Scottish flag for you?

Premium Member
He is a poppet! I suspect he will grow into a small miniature - after all, the difference in size between a toy and a mini is entirely arbitrary. In the UK the registries were only split in the 1970s - until then registration was by forecast size. Now in the UK pups from mini parents are minis, even if they end up the size of toys. Under the UK breed standard a miniature can be 1mm bigger than a toy (28.1cm), or 1mm smaller than a standard (37.9cm) - that is quite a range.

Reactions: Sole0102 and Liz

Super Moderator
Congrats on the new family member. It sounds like you are in good shape if he's got normal puppy energy and if neither the breeder nor the vet have health concerns. It's not uncommon for small puppies to get pushed out of the buffet line by their stronger siblings, even with the breeder trying to watch over them. They often go on a growth spurt once they can eat their fill without distractions.

Registered
What a handsome little guy! I wouldn't worry too much about his weight. Morty was pretty small when we brought him home. He was under 5 pounds at 10 weeks. He was smaller than our chihuahua! He actually ended up being slightly oversized though. He's held steady around 18 pounds and 18 inches since his first birthday. I'm attaching a chart of his weight by age in case you're curious.

Morty Weight by Age.png

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you for everyone's replies. Sorry it has taken me so long to get back to you all. Cooper was at the vet this morning for his first injection. He is 8 weeks and 1 day old today. He is weighing in at 1.04 kilos. The vet is happy with him and gave him a clean bill of health which is all I can ask for. He is still doing great and I'm excited to see how big he actually get 馃榾 x

Registered
He is very cute! My mini was 3.1 lbs when I brought her home at 8 weeks, she is about 15 lbs now at age 2. Happy he has a clean bill of health! He probably will be a smaller mini, see what the weeks/ months bring.

Reactions: Sole0102

Registered
My mini was 5 or so lbs at 12 weeks and 9 lbs at 17 weeks! He's doubled in size! The vet said he might be around 12 lbs (on his first visit) but revised that! I suspect he'll be around 15-18lbs. His legs are looooong!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My mini was 5 or so lbs at 12 weeks and 9 lbs at 17 weeks! He's doubled in size! The vet said he might be around 12 lbs (on his first visit) but revised that! I suspect he'll be around 15-18lbs. His legs are looooong!
Cooper does have long legs even though he is so small. I think he is going to surprise us lol. That's a big difference in your puppy in the space of 5 weeks!!! Cooper put on 300g in 6 days which the vet said was a great weight gain so no doubt there will be a big difference in him when he goes back for his 2nd injections in 2 weeks x

1 - 15 of 15 Posts