Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...the height and weight of this gorgeous little poodle? Forgive my newness to mpoos, but is he insize? I was looking for an oversize about 25lbs, but this little guy looks lovely:

I have watched this video multiple times recently and wondered where in the world I could find such a beautiful miniature! I've thought of contacting Crufts and asking who his breeder is (who is likely in Europe I realize).

He looks like the perfect poodle to me, the size, colouring, body and face shape (is this conformation?), and sweet personality, from what you can gather in a one-minute video ;-)

Well-bred miniature poodles (or any mpoos) are a rare breed indeed in my neighbourhood. Standards are my favourite poodle and they are around, but I have honestly never met a poodle like this.

I think I need to find some poodle events so I can actually meet poodles like this and see what they're like in "person." :)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Chester actually reminds me of the little avatar for PoodleForum.com at the upper left of this site, which is also the perfect poodle to my eyes. I guess that's why they chose that image to represent poodles.

Does anyone else look at that design and think, now where do you find one like that?

·
Registered
7,266 Posts
I’m not good at guessing these things but I think he looks to be an appropriate size for a minipoo. Probably weighs closer to 20 pounds or less.

He certainly is cute and captivated the audience. What a sweetheart.

Reactions: NaturalPoodle

·
Registered
344 Posts
Haha very cute! I would reckon that Chester is an insize mini, slightly largely than my mini Vontae, who's 13 inches/15 lbs, and significantly smaller than my moyen Shilo, who's 16.5 inches/20 lbs. My guess would be 14 inches/15 lbs (he looks slightly taller than Vontae, but not as stocky/muscular).

Kevin

·
Registered
10,294 Posts
OMG! Thanks for posting that. It warmed my heart. Chester is too cute for words. He's just stopping and taking it all in here and there. He has every intention of getting back to work but hey, boys will be boys. He's adorable and very nice looking.

Reactions: NaturalPoodle

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I think I need to find some poodle events so I can actually meet poodles like this and see what they're like in "person." :)
Yes, I would definitely recommend attending a dog show or other dog sporting trial (just make sure to ask if it's a good time to talk with the owners and meet the dog first!). I loved the Golden Gate Kennel Club I attended with Frosty this year because he served as an amazing breed ambassador. I might enter Maizie in something next year so she can have a turn to meet all the people and show them how wonderful spoos are.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
I've seen this video many times and Chester was also one of the dogs that inspired me to want a mini. I know there are some other minis that run in agility in Crufts if you want to spend the hours watching through them! I agree Chester looks like a larger mini, probably 14-15 inch, and has a natural tail. I love the way he holds his (or maybe her) tail. I think finding a natural tail with that look would be the toughest in the U.S.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I've seen this video many times and Chester was also one of the dogs that inspired me to want a mini. I know there are some other minis that run in agility in Crufts if you want to spend the hours watching through them! I agree Chester looks like a larger mini, probably 14-15 inch, and has a natural tail. I love the way he holds his (or maybe her) tail. I think finding a natural tail with that look would be the toughest in the U.S.
I know Safranne doesn't dock. Their dogs also excel in performance sports, including agility. I believe there are several excellent mini poodle breeders who leave their pups natural.

http://safrannepoodles.com/

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Haha very cute! I would reckon that Chester is an insize mini, slightly largely than my mini Vontae, who's 13 inches/15 lbs, and significantly smaller than my moyen Shilo, who's 16.5 inches/20 lbs. My guess would be 14 inches/15 lbs (he looks slightly taller than Vontae, but not as stocky/muscular).

Kevin
Amazing that he could be only 15lbs, poodles seem carry their weight in a totally different way than other dogs. I think it's their slight-er frames and longer legs than other small dogs. I love it!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, I would definitely recommend attending a dog show or other dog sporting trial (just make sure to ask if it's a good time to talk with the owners and meet the dog first!). I loved the Golden Gate Kennel Club I attended with Frosty this year because he served as an amazing breed ambassador. I might enter Maizie in something next year so she can have a turn to meet all the people and show them how wonderful spoos are.
Thanks for the tip, I'll be sure to ask before approaching.

Your spoos are gooorgeous by the way!

Thanks for the Safranne link as well. Those tails make a difference!

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Aww, thank you for the compliment :) I agree, I love natural tails and wish the US would follow Europe in the more humane treatment of dogs (no tail docking, cosmetic ear surgery, etc.).

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
If you haven't already, look up kchen95's (Kevin) photos of Vontae and Shilo from this year to see his poodles in action.

Strictly for comparison, here's some photos of my 14" and 14lb mini, Neo. I've also grabbed some screenshots of Chester from that video. If you could find out how high that jump is, you could get a better estimate of size.

Mini's are really quite deceptive in their size. They are very portable, but can manage to seem soo much bigger than they measure :).

Screenshot (18).jpg

Screenshot (19).jpg

Screenshot (20).jpg

Neo standing.jpg

Neo in arms.jpg

Neo extended.jpg

Neo and Remo standing.jpg

·
Registered
344 Posts
If you haven't already, look up kchen95's (Kevin) photos of Vontae and Shilo from this year to see his poodles in action.

Strictly for comparison, here's some photos of my 14" and 14lb mini, Neo. I've also grabbed some screenshots of Chester from that video. If you could find out how high that jump is, you could get a better estimate of size.

Mini's are really quite deceptive in their size. They are very portable, but can manage to seem soo much bigger than they measure :).

View attachment 450133

View attachment 450135

View attachment 450137

View attachment 450139

View attachment 450141

View attachment 450143

View attachment 450145
Haha well, here they are - Vontae (mini) and Shilo (moyen) in action :)

Kevin

Attachments

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wow, thank you for taking the time to do that, Rose n Poos! Very helpful. Neo doesn't look too much smaller than Chester from what I can tell. Poodle poundage is deceptive!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Haha well, here they are - Vontae (mini) and Shilo (moyen) in action :)

Kevin
Thank you Kevin! That photo of Vontae jumping at the frisbee is amazing. Poodles are like little superheroes.

I love Shilo's size. I'm adjusting to be more OK with an insize than I was before...but that moyen really is the perfect size, no?

·
Registered
6,925 Posts
This mini poodle is very cute but I personally don’t like his (lack of) conformation.

He has a very long body and his gait isn’t as elegant as it should be, probably because of poor angulation. I’m no expert, but that’s what I noticed.

Of course that’s only physical traits, but to me it’s important to have a dog as close as standard as possible.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Thank you Kevin! That photo of Vontae jumping at the frisbee is amazing. Poodles are like little superheroes.

I love Shilo's size. I'm adjusting to be more OK with an insize than I was before...but that moyen really is the perfect size, no?
Yup the moyen size really is nice - as a big guy myself, I was specifically looking for a bigger dog for our family's second dog.

I would say Vontae vs. Shilo pretty much spells out the stereotypical pros and cons of a mini vs. moyen/standard. While Vontae is an active, sporty dog, he doesn't demand as much exercise as Shilo; he lived as a couch potato for the first two years of his life with his breeder, and he certainly came across as a happy dog even with that lol! Shilo, on the other hand, is super athletic and super active; the way he leaps and dives into the water, and the way he sprints, are breathtaking to watch, and he's ALWAYS looking to run/play. On the other hand, this means he becomes much more antsy if we're trapped at home due to rain.

Kevin

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
This mini poodle is very cute but I personally don’t like his (lack of) conformation.

He has a very long body and his gait isn’t as elegant as it should be, probably because of poor angulation. I’m no expert, but that’s what I noticed.

Of course that’s only physical traits, but to me it’s important to have a dog as close as standard as possible.
It's interesting you say that Dechi. Although this little guy is delightful to my newbie eyes and even has a big part in inspiring me to appreciate mpoos more, I did notice particularly from another video that his body seemed a bit long. It was taken from another angle and seemed to highlight that feature more. I just looked at the AKC guidelines out of interest and it was really helpful.

Having said that, Chester as an overall package is still the cutest thing to me. Some others I saw on Crufts were totally gorgeous but just seemed like they ran on batteries with little personality. This guy didn't perform so well, but his individuality certainly shines through

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yup the moyen size really is nice - as a big guy myself, I was specifically looking for a bigger dog for our family's second dog.

I would say Vontae vs. Shilo pretty much spells out the stereotypical pros and cons of a mini vs. moyen/standard. While Vontae is an active, sporty dog, he doesn't demand as much exercise as Shilo; he lived as a couch potato for the first two years of his life with his breeder, and he certainly came across as a happy dog even with that lol! Shilo, on the other hand, is super athletic and super active; the way he leaps and dives into the water, and the way he sprints, are breathtaking to watch, and he's ALWAYS looking to run/play. On the other hand, this means he becomes much more antsy if we're trapped at home due to rain.

Kevin
That's good to know, thanks Kevin!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts