Poodle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all I have dog experience but my previous dogs weren't hight maintenance. Since I have 2 children ages 4 and 7 I wanted to get a poodle due to them good with children.
Since I live in a city in my own house with a small fenced yard I was debating between the mini standard.

Mini I like it because smaller to carry around and going to the groomer would cost less then actually with the standard.

Standard is nice to have and would probably tolerate kids but again take up more space in the car and more money for the groomer.

Minis tend to have less health issues and live longer which i heard.
Also mini bark more then standards?
Standards more tolerable of children then minis?

Any advices.

Thanks

Registered
I have no experience with minis, so I can't tell you what that's like. We have a 7 month old standard puppy and 4 kids. The youngest kids are 8 year old twins who are small for their age. They really couldn't be alone with the puppy until he was about 5 months old because he would jump up or nip them so much if an adult was not there to tell him to stop. He learned very quickly that it was not tolerable with the adults or older kids (who are both well over 5' tall), but the little girls he thought of as playthings, and it took a long time to train that out of him. He's great with them now but still very boisterous - I think he could easily knock a 4 year old over (not on purpose, just while bounding around "zooming"). But otherwise he is so, so good with kids. He loves them, loves being petted, running around, etc. Reading here, I think he is on the chill and friendly end of the poodle spectrum. Our breeder knew we had a big family, so she picked the puppy that did the best with her three kids for us. Which I really appreciate bc he's turned out to be a wonderful dog! Grooming is expensive though - there is SO.MUCH.HAIR!!! 馃槀馃槀

Super Moderator
Peggy (a spoo) would not do well with the boisterous, sometimes erratic energy of children, but many of her littermates share a home with kids and love them. Her sire, too, is quite steady and tolerant.

I think, more than anything, you want to do what @codys_mom did and find a breeder who will handpick the right puppy for your household.

If you have experience with raising large mouthy dogs from puppyhood, a spoo could be lovely. I personally found Peggy's size overwhelming during early adolescence, when her brain was still catching up to her body. My last girl was very small so it was an adjustment. She also didn't have the retriever drive that Peggy does.

But there's something very special about a big cuddly poodle. :)

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes I think regardless of size I think its temperament if the dog. I heard some mini poodles are great with children.
I think just the mini are less maintenance.

Please tell me those who take there dogs mini or standard to the groomer for a sport clip how often do you brush them. Once a week or twice is fine for a sport clip.

Registered
Yes I think regardless of size I think its temperament if the dog. I heard some mini poodles are great with children.
I think just the mini are less maintenance.

Please tell me those who take there dogs mini or standard to the groomer for a sport clip how often do you brush them. Once a week or twice is fine for a sport clip.
Basil's about 1.5" over most her body now and she gets brushed once every 2 days. It takes a few minutes. We're on the cusp of needing to start to do thorough line brushing.

As a rule you brush as often as needed to prevent mats. Some weeks it might be more or less.

For example around their ankles even without bracelets, if they get wet, then dry, then wet, then dry from playing in wet grass then the hair is going to tangle and lock up real fast and it's unpleasant to brush out or you have to cut out the mats.

(watching people pass by taken today, 12/25)

Registered
Can't help with the brushing question bc Cody still has his puppy coat. I comb him about once every week or so with a metal comb, but I figure this will probably need to be more frequent once he starts getting his adult coat.

Registered
Minis can be good with children but in general I would say poodles do best with respectful children who are taught how to be considerate of dogs and give them space when they want it. They can be somewhat sensitive and I wouldn't say they are "put up with anything" dogs the way a golden is. But they can certainly do very well with them. Poodle puppies can be incredibly mouthy whether mini or standard, but a good breeder will help to match you with a more mellow easy going dog.

A mini in a sport clip should be fine being brushed once a week and clipped every 4-6 weeks. But as puppies I would brush daily to get them accustomed to it and because hair mats easily during coat change.

Registered
Our standard poodle was a trim 60 pounds. Mine and those I babysat came to 8 kids between ages 3 and 13 (gaining in age each year). He was wonderful with them all. Since you have four kids adolescent poodle antics shouldn't be too hard for you. As for the coat- I like a hunting cut. It is shaved on the feet and muzzle and a little longer everywhere else. Easy maintenance. Town and Country is very elegant, but I kept the ear hair short and no tail pom pom.

Registered
Our standard is our fourth standard and he weighs 20 kg/45 lbs. He loves, loves, loves children. Our previous three overlapped by nine years. They were two females and one male and they were crazy about each other. The worst problem was when the oldest female died and the male refused to eat for more than a week.

Minis are said to be more energetic than standards and a lot of the really old dogs that you hear about are miniature poodles. I knew one who lived to almost 23. His children had graduated from college and started their careers long before he passed away.

The reason that we have poodles is that their coats are easy-care and because my husband hates dog hair on the furniture. I have them clipped down every eight weeks or so, I trim faces, paws and privates every three weeks and I spend about five minutes brushing out the fluffier stuff a couple of times per week.

We do give our dogs a lot of exercise.

Registered
I agree with everyone else when they say to work with a breeder who will pick a puppy best suited to your family. I just wanted to add that when my family (my parents, myself, and my 3 brothers, the youngest being 5 at the time) bought our poodles, we went with standards because they are less fragile if a child is too rough with them. Just a thought. Ideally all children should know the right way to treat an animal, I just realize that kids take time to learn.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you all for the answers.

I had under 20 pound dogs all my life and wanted a bigger because I'm reading the mini barks unnecessarily.
If I do get the standard i want to do sport or real low clip so I dont have to faithfully everyday brush.
If I brush it would be 10 to 15 mins everyday for the standard should be fine?

Super Moderator

I had under 20 pound dogs all my life and wanted a bigger because I'm reading the mini barks unnecessarily.
If I do get the standard i want to do sport or real low clip so I dont have to faithfully everyday brush.
It depends on the trim, the cooperation level of the dog, and what kinds of messes he gets into.

10 to 15 minutes a day was good for my parti boys when they had fluffy ears & tails with short body and leg hair. However, they got matted really quickly if they got wet or slobber covered. One day of skipping the brushing would mean an hour of working tangles out or else a shave down. My solid boy tangles less than my parti boys did; he is also less prone to romping in swamps. So far I've been able to keep up with his fluffy lamb coat with 10-15 minutes of daily work and longer sessions once or twice a week. He gets his ears brushed daily and then a few minutes on whatever body part is accessible as he flops on the couch.

Registered

Totally, 10-15 is all it takes with the trims you mentioned. Basil has a slightly grown out 1" trim on her body and we can zip through her coat while pasta boils on the stove. Alexa, set timer to eleven minutes.

Cowpony has great points too if you intend to grow out different parts. I imagine at some point we all do because it's fun.

Registered
I have a standard, he weigh in at 68 lbs. though he looks trim. I have now been keeping him trimmed on the short side with longer ears and top knot, which I hope to trim today. LOL. 10-15 minutes a day would be fine for him, even when he was longer. That also depends on what he is doing..if he has been out and gets wet or dirty then you must comb him out and the length of his hair makes a difference on the time it will take. Mine is not good with children, he just doesn't like the high energy part. I think though he would have been fine with them had he grown up with them. The shark tooth period would have been dreadful, think of a large puppy who bounces all the time with mouth wide open till his teeth snag into something. Its all fun. LOL But it doesn't last all that long and with redirecting you get past it. Mine now has a very gentle mouth.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If you poodle is wet from being outside playing or its raining what do you do... towel dry only or towel dry and brush his whole body ?

Registered

Just a note here... barking varies with dogs. Both minis and standards can alert bark. My mini does not alert bark unless he sees something seriously unusual which is very rare. Some lines of minis may be naturally barky but my dog's line is not. Even a natural barker can be taught to limit it with good training. What I would caution is that a mini's bark is a lot softer than a standard bark and most standards will bark to alert you and it will be quite loud. Training is important to avoid barking for any size.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts