Poodle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We will be bringing home a Miniature Poodle puppy soon. We are so excited but have never had a Miniature before. Our prior dog was a big, beautiful, smart Standard who we lost a few months ago and miss terribly. The new Miniature is bred by the same breeder as the Standard. Can anyone provide any insight on what to expect (personality, temperment, energy level, etc.) between Miniatures and Standards generally? I know it varies from dog to dog, but just wondering if we will be in for a totally different experience with the Miniature.

Thank you!

·
Registered
596 Posts
While I have never owned a Standard before - I have owned many big dogs before - my mini who also comes from a breeder who breeds both minis and standards and certainly does not think of himself as a small dog. A friend of mine was joking that he is a Mini Poodle who identifies as a Great Dane. He was a bit of a little terror through his puppyhood - super mouthy - very high energy and is settling down nicely. He is 9 months old now. My favorite things about him are his obvious intelligence - I have come to realize that if I want him to do something best thing is to simply explain it to him (I know sounds a little batty). He has what I would like to call immense innate emotional intelligence - he can read people extremely well and approaches them differently as per need. He is tough and likes guys more than women. He had to come to terms with being cuddled but enjoys it a lot now as long as it is on his terms. He hated being picked up - and after help here on the forum I figured it was making him feel powerless. The picking up was my mistake coming from big dogs I was being over protective. We were floored about how tiny he was at the beginning - mere 3 pounds - and are now very much in love with his size. He is about 11 pounds now - still growing like a weed.

·
Registered
586 Posts
i never owned standards, but i read they are the most laid back size of the breed. my mini is robust, active and super smart. i dont think there's much difference in temperaments except minis are the most active of the 3 sizes. i dont find my mini to be particularly a handful. he was a great pup and our teen years were not too bad. he is 1.5 years old now and between 13-14 lbs, i have a great dog. i love this size, we travel quite a bit and he is the perfect size to fit under the cabin seat.

·
Registered
580 Posts
... My favorite things about him are his obvious intelligence - I have come to realize that if I want him to do something best thing is to simply explain it to him (I know sounds a little batty). ...
Oh yes. Interestingly, I have started having more obedience ring success when I say to Neely that it would be "really nice" if we could get a qualifying score in this class. Results: UKC Utility title, AKC regular Open title, and another AKC Preferred Utility Q. (It doesn't hurt, of course, that I'm also getting better at keeping his attention and being more clear and deliberate in my cues.)

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
I have had many standard poodles over the years and only two minis. My current poodle is a mini. As a rule, minis are more active than standards, not as "laid back". My Zoe usually has a couple of times a day when she has the zoomies - running from the den sofa to the bed in the bedroom at top speed. She is not as obedient as my standards were; she needs to see some kind of reward for good behavior.

All that said, she is only 18 months old, so we'll see what she is like as she gets older. Right now she is with a handler - hope she will be home before Christmas. I miss her terribly!

Marguerite, I LOVE how you suggest to Neely that it would be nice to get a Q! I'll keep that in mind when Zoe is ready for obedience trials.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the great feedback!

When we got our Standard it was just me any my husband and his laid back personality was great, plus no problem that he took up the entire back seat of the car. Now we have two sons ages 7 and 4, so high energy (human and dog) is welcome in our house, whether we like it or not! We are thinking the size/portability of a Miniature will make family outings easier.

·
Premium Member
22,982 Posts
Curlydogs from your avatar pic it looks like you and your standard have done agility on Long Island. I wonder if we have crossed paths.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Compared to a standard poodle, your mini will be faster around the house. Amazingly agile and quick, and loving to dash. The standard knows the home spaces don't give room for bursts of full speed and appear more a little more laid back. Nevertheless, I think they are behaviorally similar, while recognizing thier range of individual personalities. Smart, smart, smart! I believe you are going to love your mini!!!

·
Premium Member
15,810 Posts
I have to agree that a mini is an active, quick to learn, portable size, dog. I've not owned a standard but have owned many other large breeds, and the energy level is just totally different, but not crazy over-the-top! They are much different in training as they pick up cues/body motions that you don't even realize you're doing! And yes they learn English and you'll find words that the normal dog would never associate to become part of their daily 'language' so watch out!!LOL!

Reactions: Curlydogs

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi lily cd re. I did do some agility with my Standard but just for a few years. It was about 5-7 years ago in Westchester at POCTC (Port Chester Obedience Training Club). We both loved it, but babies (the human kind) came and it was hard to find the time. I am hoping to pick it up again with the new Miniature not that my kids are a bit older.

Looks like your dogs have earned many achievements!!

·
Premium Member
22,982 Posts
Okay then so that is in the Roosevelt Park I guess. It looks very similar to one of our few outdoor agility sites. You know how things are with standards either you give them a job to do or they will invent mischievous ones for themselves, hence the titles.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts