Poodle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HELP !

My Poodle Molly is biting - really biting when she doesn't like something ! This is definitely NOT mouthing. Molly turned a year old two weeks ago. Very smart dog- examples of when she might bite would be if she is told " NO" on something and we go to reach for her she'll turn around and growl and bite. Brushing her hair can sometimes cause her to bite. ANY ADVICE please would be appreciated.

·
Registered
7,592 Posts
That’s something that happens sometimes when people inadvertently ignore a dog‘s warning sign, or don’t know how to react to a dog’s uneasiness and accidentally teach them to growl/bite. It’s usually not hard to fix, but it takes someone who is experienced and can read a dog’s body language well.

Since the dog is biting, it’s something that needs to be taken seriously and dealt with rapidly, with appropriate knowledge.

The best advice I can give you is find a trainer/dog behaviorist to help you as soon as possible. You can meet the person on Skype if need be, I think it’s doable.

·
Super Moderator
9,003 Posts
Wise words from @Dechi :)

I hope you'll keep us posted on how it goes. Be sure to find a force-free trainer or (even better) a certified behaviourist. With the right person, you may need only a session or two to get things back on track with Molly.

In the meantime, pick your battles and try to see things from Molly's perspective. You want to keep stressful moments from escalating whenever possible.

Here's are some signs to watch for:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts