Poodle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've gone through so many posts on the forum looking for mini poodle breeders that are reputable and even though there are many suggestions, it's still so difficult to find one. Many are outdated, some don't have litters available for a while etc.

I am looking for a red mini poodle and came across this breeder. Does she seem like a good breeder to you?

Texas Red Toy Poodles

Her website is texasredtoypoodles

·
Super Moderator
5,337 Posts
I know it can be overwhelming. But good for you for doing your research!

I don't see any mention of health testing the dam and sire on that website. You could reach out to them and ask them what they do.

They also seem to leave their puppies open to being bred, which worries me.

·
Super Moderator
1,524 Posts
I've seen health guarantees I like better.
1) This one requires you to return the dog for them to honor the guarantee.
2) The contract states they won't honor the guarantee, if the puppy dies, unless you get a necropsy. The contract also states they won't cover vet costs (which I assume includes the cost of the required necropsy.)
3) They exclude undescended testicles from the health guarantee. Undescended testicles aren't THAT common, so why the exclusion? Also, undescended testicles do have a genetic link. I'd expect them to be covered. I also don't like the phrasing of some other exclusions.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Hi and Welcome!

Regarding the website info, I feel that charging different prices for different colors suggests trend pricing to me.

Health Guarantees generally favor the Seller ultimately and are not a substitute for genetic health testing of the breeding parents. If the parents are tested and are genetically normal or clear for known issues in poodles, that's like insurance on the pup. Health testing isn't surefire that nothing will ever go wrong, but I believe that a quality breeder will stand behind their pups and new families, rain or shine, guarantee or no.

I don't know how familiar you are with the genetics of poodle coat colors, so I'll also mention that red is a fading color. That means that a darker red might fade to a lighter red or even apricot as they mature. I'll post some pics of my red girls.

How far are you willing and able to travel to get your pup? Are you open to any other color as a next choice?
I'm sure you've seen that the more specific your criteria, the more challenging your search will be. Most of us have been there :).

If you don't mind giving your general location or your travel parameters we might be able to make suggestions. I also keep some links handy for folks starting or having difficulty with a search. You may have already seen some of these.

Keep in touch, keep asking questions, and Happy Puppy Hunt!

This link should get you to pages which direct you to folks within PCA who can help with breeder referrals for your desired area.

These are AKC registered breeders but review their websites thoroughly. Look for OFA, CHIC health testing info in the site. If not on the website, ask the breeder to provide all health testing results and links (this will be on the dam and sire fyi). In fact, do that with any breeder you make contact with. A quality breeder will not hesitate to show the health documentation.

"Poodle Breeders" Standard Poodles, Miniature Poodles, Toy Poodles Breeders Directory!
All the breeders listed here are required to do appropriate health testing in order to list on that site.

Breeders here all do appropriate health testing.

Another site with multiple breeders listed. Use the same caution.

Most of us aren't breeders and don't have poodles for the purpose of showing, they are our loving companions. We are grateful tho to the breeders who believe in their dogs and literally invest the time and spend the money to train, compete, show and health test their dogs without thought of profit, so we can have our healthy and well bred pets.

There is a sub forum Poodle Breeder Directory where you can find or start discussions of breeders recommended, and some, not so much. They're listed at the top of Poodle Talk.

If you use the Search at the top of any page, use Advanced search for breeders in your area.

Contact a few breeders to introduce yourself. Even if they don't have or don't offer what you're looking for, it can be a close knit community. They may know where to refer you.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Previous posters have pretty much covered everything, but I'm just chiming in to say that my pup's breeder is one of the few really good breeders of red minis and could be a good person to contact. My pup is black, but she also has red litters regularly. Kennel name is Danube. She also works closely with DiMarnique, who also sometimes produces reds. Both do all health testing and show their dogs. All reds do fade to some degree. As was said previously, reds usually end up looking more apricot as they get older. (Apricots fade to look cream as they age). A well bred poodle is worth the wait!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How far are you willing and able to travel to get your pup? Are you open to any other color as a next choice?
I'm sure you've seen that the more specific your criteria, the more challenging your search will be. Most of us have been there :).

If you don't mind giving your general location or your travel parameters we might be able to make suggestions. I also keep some links handy for folks starting or having difficulty with a search. You may have already seen some of these.

Keep in touch, keep asking questions, and Happy Puppy Hunt!
Thanks! I am located in Texas and willing to travel!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Previous posters have pretty much covered everything, but I'm just chiming in to say that my pup's breeder is one of the few really good breeders of red minis and could be a good person to contact. My pup is black, but she also has red litters regularly. Kennel name is Danube. She also works closely with DiMarnique, who also sometimes produces reds. Both do all health testing and show their dogs. All reds do fade to some degree. As was said previously, reds usually end up looking more apricot as they get older. (Apricots fade to look cream as they age). A well bred poodle is worth the wait!
Do you know if they have any available pups currently? If not, then of course, I could apply and wait

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Do you know if they have any available pups currently? If not, then of course, I could apply and wait
Good breeders usually have homes lined up for pups before they are born, though they may have one or two available if the litter was larger than expected or if buyers fall through. So generally getting on a list is very common. I don't know if Timea has pups now but I think she was expecting recently. But she is very responsive to email as long as you are thoughtful and explain your query.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I have been and will soon be again a poodle breeder. I would not recommend buying from Texas Red Toy Poodles because the do not do genetic testing. On the guarantee it says that patella luxation can be caused by injury - to the best of my knowledge that is not the case.

I strongly recommend that you only consider a puppy that has several generations of genetic/health testing behind it. That kind of testing is expensive. I plan to breed my miniature bitch this summer, so I have just completed all the health testing: hip x-ray, eye exam by a veterinary ophthalmologist, patella exam, and DNA test for progressive retinal atrophy. These tests have cost a total of about $700 plus the cost of having them added to the OFA (Orthopedic Foundation for Animals) database - about$40. Add to that a stud fee for a male that has also been tested and the cost of transportation and boarding when being bred. Stud fees are usually about the cost of a puppy: $1200 to $2000. And heaven help you if things do not go well - you could have huge vet bills. All in all, breeding quality animals is an expensive business that requires lots of knowledge.

·
Premium Member
1,558 Posts
I visited their facebook page. It concerns me that there are 2 videos showing MaltiPoo puppies. Do they breed doodles? I'd be wary just by that. As has been mentioned already, the different prices for varied colors is kind of a flag. I found in their health guarantee that it really protects the breeder much more so than the buyer. It states that within 2 days it must be seen by your vet (which is fine), but that a fecal sample has to be done, and if any genetic illnesses are detected, or life threatening diseases.. well, I've never had a vet do a fecal for these things. To me it sounds like they want you to do genetic testing in lieu of them having it done on the parents. They also say their "dads" are champion lines. It doesn't look like they show, or aquire sires or dams, that are champions themselves. The father is the one that earned it, and it looks like that's only true for one of the sires. If it were me, I'd run the other way. I can't help with finding a good breeder, but others on here can chime in, and a couple have already.

I wish you the best of luck in finding just the perfect puppy. It can be long journey, but well worth it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts