Poodle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone-

Haven’t posted in a while, but I’m getting a mini pup tomorrow and I’m wondering about potty training in the cold. I searched some old threads and got tips for no booties (feet too small) and a warm coat. Consensus seemed to be to just bring them out and they’ll be quick!

All of my other dogs were adults, except one who was 10 weeks, but he didn’t come in the dead of winter.

I’d like to minimize (or avoid) the use of pee pads. She’ll be 8 weeks, and we live in upstate NY, and it’s been cold!

Any other tips? Maybe Musher’s secret for her paws?

Thanks!
PS- I’ll post pics tomorrow ?

·
Registered
7,151 Posts
When there’s snow on the ground we shovel an area of the grass to create a grassy knoll potty area.

I’ve only potty trained in the summer.

·
Premium Member
6,412 Posts
Well Congrats first on your new puppy, I am no help really because my dead of winter puppy Leonard I trained to pee pads it was -20 F wind chills the first 3 weeks I had him home. Musher secret worked for my girls as puppies but they weren't that young when winter hit, but Lenny hates it below 60 degrees

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
I would just be sure to have an area clear of snow or at least where they aren't sinking into it, lol and carry her out to that area, as soon as she goes, praise praise pick her up and bring her inside. Yes no fun housebreaking a pupping in the dead of winter. I got my dog last February at 9 weeks but we don't have severe cold weather here but lots of rain. I just alway put his leash on carried him out (till I couldn't, he is a standard) as soon a he went back inside. He caught on very quickly.

·
Premium Member
9,621 Posts
Congratulations on your mini! I would clear a path to a designated area, as suggested. Envy the new puppy, but not potty training in bitter cold.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all for the tips! Guess we will embrace the use of pee pads, at least until it warms up a bit...which doesn’t look like it will be anytime soon:snowman:

·
Premium Member
22,964 Posts
Carolinek congrats on gotcha day! I would shovel a short path to a little outdoor spot mostly clear of snow and work on taking the baby to that spot at times when she will be likely to go (on waking, after a play time, after eating). She will probably go pretty quickly and then don't clean the stuff up too frequently. The old scent will tell her that is the place to go. I don't think you need to have potty pads just because it is cold. Just make your potty trips productive and as soon as you can get potty on command. You will be glad to have potty on command at trials. I bought one pack of 10 potty pads for Javelin (who admittedly was a summer pup) and I think I still have 7 or 8 of them and those that I used I mostly used to clean up his very rare accidents.

·
Registered
4,502 Posts
Thanks all for the tips! Guess we will embrace the use of pee pads, at least until it warms up a bit...which doesn’t look like it will be anytime soon:snowman:
I highly recommend the potty pads easier on you and the puppy. Once in a while if weather is suitable take puppy out to potty. I use potty patch if I am putting Cayenne outside or to actual potty patch and Sage also, no problem. Sage only uses it if rain or snow. They will use both if trained.

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
My Minnesota puppies were all trained in the summer so I am no help there, however I did want to tell you how very excited I am for you. New babies are so much joy! Congratulations!

·
Registered
596 Posts
Also in Upstate NY and boy it is cold and it is going to be bad next week. I think that this could work to your advantage. First in establishing a designated spot and hurrying things along because it is so cold. My mini who came from Louisiana loves the cold - and has had no problem adapting to our winters. If you put a tarp down before it snows you will have a nice area that is green and free of snow. The booties idea is nice in theory but time is of the essence so you may not have time to wrestle around with shoes. I would recommend door bell training and give it time. The bladder has to grow as does the control over the bladder muscles. 100% reliability took until about 5 months and I think that was quite average.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks all for your responses! Very helpful. We are a little over 24 hrs in and she has pooped outside three times and peed several times...not bad for the first day. We have a cold snap coming so may need to rely on pee pads, but at least she has a good start. I’ll start a thread introducing her. Thanks again all!
Caroline

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts