Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I am researching dog breeds, and have decided to get either a miniature poodle or a havanese. I will be waiting a year or two, as I have young children, and we are planning to move sometime this year.

Both of these breeds are supposed to be allergy/kid friendly dogs, and a good size for our family. I had a chocolate miniature poodle as a child (as pictured), but have never really known anyone with a havanese. I am also researching on the havanese forum.

My question is, do any of you have experience with both breeds, and what comparisons would you make? In your opinion, how do these breeds differ?

Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
336 Posts
I have a friend that has a Havanese male about 4 years old. It is a sweet lovable dog. It acts a lot like a Poodle, not quite as smart, but a great dog. I think it helped they spent time training him to be a good dog. They have kids but the youngest is 9 years old.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
What do you want in a pet?

I think the Havanese is a happy, lovable, uncomplicated dog. The Mini is smart, alert, athletic (almost to a fault) and a world class working dog that is happiest doing things for and with its owner.

The Havanese probably does not think quite enough and the Mini probably thinks too much. :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Havanese have incredibly difficult coats to manage. All the ones I've ever groomed (around 20 different ones) have been quite nippy and barky and difficult to housebreak. I'd say the poodle wins hands down.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Havanese have incredibly difficult coats to manage. All the ones I've ever groomed (around 20 different ones) have been quite nippy and barky and difficult to housebreak. I'd say the poodle wins hands down.
Really? Gosh that has not been my experience, but they are getting more popular so maybe these were puppy mill dogs? Seriously, the show dogs that I have seen have just been good, happy citizens.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
In a pet, I would like a dog that is happy being with the family. One that will be trained to walk nicely on a leash, and will play fetch with us. I would like to teach the dogs a few tricks, but pretty much just a nice family dog. I am a stay-at-home Mom now, and we are home most all of the time. I worked as a hairdresser for over 20 years, so some brushing and grooming at home are fine. I will still take the dog to the groomer's regularly, but take care of the "in-between" stuff!

On the Havanese forum, I see that they are difficult to housebreak, and often suffer from separation anxiety. I had a long-haired dachshund that was supposed to be difficult to housebreak, but she was fine. I'm sure it depends on the dog, and consistency.

No matter which breed I choose, it will come from a good breeder that does all of the health testing, socializing, etc.

I need an allergy/kid friendly dog. I have a fondness for poodles, since that was my beloved childhood pet! But when I search what I am looking for, the havanese is right up there with the poodle.

Thank you to everyone responding; just looking for some insight!

BTW, how many have separation anxiety problems with the minis?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Well if you want a dog that fetches, poodles are it. =) I don't think any puppy that is socialized properly should have separation anxiety. I would bare in mind that poodles are going to be easier to train, well because they are geniuses. But at the same time, they need to be kept busy or they can get into mischief, especially as puppies. They are smart and if your not entertaining them they will entertain themselves. That has been my experience.

For me I am sold out to poodles so I am biased, good luck with your decision.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I was actually making a similar decision between the breeds...I went and visited a litter the week before I got my Cozi, Mini Poodle. The differences between the litters were night and day! The havanese were very self involved pups, even the mom just wandered away to sit in the other room while I was there.....

The poodle puppies were all over me! They just wanted to be as close as possible to the people in the room- made my decision so easy!

I also spent lots of time on the havanese forum and was shocked at how many owners had "wonderful" dogs who growled and bit them or their children....as if that was just normal.....

·
Registered
681 Posts
Honestly, take your kids to meet the puppies. That's what cinched our decision on a poodle. Most of the other breeds we were looking at were either too exuberant or nippy or some other bad form of behavior we weren't looking for. Now, our mini is vocal when someone walks past our yard or knocks on the door or whatever, but that's what the small poodles were taught to do, so it's no surprise. He doesn't bark a lot at other times, and as soon as I say quiet, he's usually done barking. We are definitely the center of the world, and he follows me and my four year old around the house. With small kids, you may want to consider an older pup. Captain was leash-trained and mostly house-trained when he came to us. I don't know anything about Havanese, but see if you can find any in your area to meet :)

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
I have a Havanese and two standards. I've never owned a mini or a toy, but when we decided we wanted a smaller dog, we first looked at toy and mini poodles. We decided against toys right away, as we found them too small, too fragile and way too barky. I've also looked at a few minis (from reputable breeders) and found them way too active, even more so then my standards. It seemed that they almost needed too much stimulation and really preferred the temperament of standards. I then looked at a Havanese and it was love at first sight. Yes, they can be difficult to house train!!! Compared to Romeo who was house broken in 1 day at the age of 12 weeks and Brandy who was house broken in 1 week, Bugsy took from 12 weeks to 6 months to be 100% reliable and fully house broken. Having said that, he is so smart, never had an accident at any house that I take him to. Once he got it, he got it. While the coat can be difficult to maintain, especially during coat blowing (change from puppy to adult coat) there is always the adorable puppy cut with minimum grooming. My Havanese is in full coat, or as full as it can be when two standards regularly use him as a mop to wipe the floors with. lol I do all his grooming. He is brushed and combed every single day and it never takes me more than 10 minutes. He is bathed once every two weeks and face, feet, bottom are done as needed. lol Here's the pic (older, but a favorite) of him:

I would recommend checking out havanese club of america, here's the link:
Havanese Club of America
I would also visit a Havanese forum that I frequent:
Havanese Forum
You will be able to get some advice and lots of information from the Havanese owners/fanciers and breeders.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
I too came to decide between the mini and the Havanese. I spent quite a bit of time lurking on the Havanese board (and here) while I was making my decision! Both breeds have their appeal. In the end I decided the mini poodle fit better with my goals (pet plus competitor). I was worried about separation anxiety with the Havanese, as well as coat care. Plus this is superficial, but while I LOVE The Havanese face, I found their body looked quite long and it just didn't please my eye. Haha, noone said my reasoning was sound!

You really do need to meet a few dogs of each breed though, and that will help make your decision. I met a Havanese breeder and went to a Havanese picnic, while I met a couple of poodle breeders as well. Once you see them in person and how their personality is, you will most likely swing one way or the other!

·
Registered
148 Posts
We decided against toys right away, as we found them too small, too fragile and way too barky.
I have to say that I hate when people say things like this :eek:hwell: Or call toys yappers. My Jazzy is not a barker at all. My husband was sooo against the idea of a poodle for this very reason. And he is very happy with our girl.

She will bark if someone is in our yard or at the door, but I want this. She quiets as soon as I ask her too.:bounce:

·
Registered
681 Posts
I have to say that I hate when people say things like this :eek:hwell: Or call toys yappers. My Jazzy is not a barker at all. My husband was sooo against the idea of a poodle for this very reason. And he is very happy with our girl.

She will bark if someone is in our yard or at the door, but I want this. She quiets as soon as I ask her too.:bounce:
I think Poodle Lover just meant around kids, a toy wouldn't be a good fit. And I would whole heartedly agree. Kids can unintentionally be too rough, and if they are a fine-boned animal, it is a bad combination. All of the toys I've met have very fine, thin bones, and I would hate for my kids to hurt a toy. So, when we visit friends with small dogs (toys, chihuahuas, maltese, etc) I remind them that they have to be very careful. My friend has a chi that weighs 14 oz. I keep them far away from Pearl. They are gentle kids, but I wouldn't have a toy around them until they are older.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Plus this is superficial, but while I LOVE The Havanese face, I found their body looked quite long and it just didn't please my eye. Haha, noone said my reasoning was sound!
As an aside, a group of people are breeding what they call the Havana Silk Dog, which essentially a Havanese, but it's ever so slightly taller and I think a little more square, among a few other differences. These dogs are only recognized by the North American Kennel Club (Rarities).

·
Registered
148 Posts
I wasn't upset with her or anything. I do just hear that a lot and it's just aggravating b/c people are always saying when are you going to get a real dog or look at the rat. I guess i'm a little thin skinned. But true about poodles being more fragile. but I do have 3 little kids, and they do great, but most kids don't understand.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
I have to say that I hate when people say things like this :eek:hwell: Or call toys yappers. My Jazzy is not a barker at all. My husband was sooo against the idea of a poodle for this very reason.
I didn't mean to offend you or imply that your toy is barky. But, in my experience, most toys I've met (and I met a few) were, even really well bred ones. I also find that toys and kids don't mix and most reputable breeders won't sell you a toy puppy with young children. Again, sorry if I offended you.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Your baby Bugsy is precious. Simply adorable!
Thanks. :) My little man is going to be 4 this year, I can hardly believe it.
You know that my havanese and bolognese are cousins, all part of the bichon famiy? My aunt had a bolognese and she was the tiniest, cutest little 5 lb baby.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts