Poodle Forum banner

Mini Poodle Temperament

40004 Views 24 Replies 11 Participants Last post by  Purley
I'm drawn to the mini poodle because of its size, low/ no shed status and intelligence compared to some other smaller breeds. I have met lots of minis at agility matches who have fantastic temperaments and are just what I'm looking for. Calm and friendly outside the ring, excited and happy inside the ring.

Having said that, when my mom and I recently visited a breeder with a number of poodles in outside pens they were running around and leaping like jack rabbits and basically just looked like everything the uneducated person might think the poodle to be (hysterical). To be fair, the breeder had just got back from a 2 day show and these guys probably had some energy to burn, but as I watched them leap higher than my waist I got nervous about my decision and started questioning whether the mini was right for me. This is a breeder who also told me that they don't temperament test, as their minis are all the same, so I left there feeling like they most likely didn't have the dog for me.

I have since got over my nerves and am back on the track to getting a mini poodle (obviously, as I'm here!) but I wanted to hear what your mini poodles are like. Please tell me those dogs were the exception, and I just happened to see them at a bad time! Also, is it common for mini poodle breeders not to temperament test or did I just happen to talk to one who didn't?
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
55 Posts
Daddy doesn't like strangers and barks at every little noise. He is very smart and easy to train. He is convinced he is the boss and is sometimes upset when I don't listen to what he wants :lol:

He does love to run and it's a pleasure to watch when I go with my son's schnauzers. He outruns them all. I must admit I've never like poodles before. I bought him because I wanted a lap dog and that's all the pet shop had at the time.

Since then I am very happy with my choice and my views of poodles have changed a lot. I love to groom him. He sleeps with me and I would have a fit if I ever lost him.

Before I had 2 miniature schnauzer and 2 lhasa apso but I think overall it's my poodle that I like best.

I don't think all min poodles are the same personality wise so don't base your choice on mine but I just wanted to share my experience with mine.

· Registered
55 Posts
This is awesome! I really struggle to figure out weight and sizing, so using free weights is such a great idea. And you are so right - I picked up a mini boy last week-end and my arm went numb after about 5 minutes. You definitely wouldn't want to be carrying him around for long. :curl-lip:
Wow. Daddy is a 1.5 years old miniature poodle and weight 6 pounds. Tangerineman says his toy is 7.5 at 9 months?? I would have expected the mini to be heavier then a toy.

· Registered
55 Posts
Daddy123, I'm no expert (obvi, or I wouldn't be asking so many questions here!) but the weight actually isn't important in the classification according to my friend Google. Rather they are defined by height.

Toys are 10 inches in height and under.
Miniatures are over 10 inches to 15 inches.
Standards are over 15 inches.

NOTE: A poodles height is measured from the ground up to the top of the withers (shoulder blades).

So it's Daddy's height that classifies him, as well as what his parents were I believe. Someone else will correct me if I'm wrong! :)
Daddy is 11" high and weight 6 lbs. I went to look at the paper I got when I bought him and they listed him as toy. I guess it's not a place I would recommend if you're looking for a toy or min but I still love him no matter what type he is or should be of course. I got him at a pet store.... I should know better.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.