Poodle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My aunt is bringing me a poodle puppy. Im a first time poodle owner. All she knows is the puppy is purebred, 11 weeks old and weighs 8lbs. She owns all miniature poodles and says this puppy is too big to be a miniature. Could she be a standard? Does she look like a poodle to you guys? Any thoughts on this are greatly appreciated.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,122 Posts
My aunt is bringing me a poodle puppy. Im a first time poodle owner. All she knows is the puppy is purebred, 11 weeks old and weighs 8lbs. She owns all miniature poodles and says this puppy is too big to be a miniature. Could she be a standard? Does she look like a poodle to you guys? Any thoughts on this are greatly appreciated.
Peggy's a standard and weighed 15.2 lbs at 11 weeks.

Your puppy could be a large miniature.

I've been using this calculator with Peggy and, once we got her up to a healthy weight, it's been quite consistent at predicting she'll grow to the size of her parents: Find out your puppy's adult weight

·
Premium Member
23,162 Posts
Those puppies could be minis that will go oversize or they could be really sort of undersize standards. My Lily at 11 weeks weighed 11 pounds. She is a fine boned standard who weighs around 36 pounds as an adult. My real concerns based on the pics you showed though are not what size the pups are supposed to be or how big they will finish as adults, but rather the lack of grooming, including scruffy looking coats and so much tear staining. My current signature picture is of Javelin when he was about 6 weeks old. I saw him and his littermates in person several times and got numerous pictures of them as they were growing. They were all always as well groomed as in that picture. To me that is an important sign of a good breeder. Not just that the pups are neat and clean but more importantly that the breeder is getting them used to all of the grooming that goes with being a poodle.

·
Registered
3,635 Posts
This is my standard at 9 weeks old. I too would be concerned that there has been no grooming but I'd be more concerned about the tear staining, its quite bad for such young pups. It more than likely will not go away and eye staining is a pain. My boy does get staining and I must clean his eyes 2-3 times a day if I want to keep his fur clean.

·
Premium Member
23,162 Posts
I always loved seeing pics of baby Renn. I truly had a crush on him through looking at his 52 weeks thread.

Reactions: Mufar42

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
Hi and Welcome!

Ultimately, it's height at the shoulder, not weight which determines the Poodle variety. Toy is up to 10" in the US, Miniature is between 10-15", and Standard is anything over 15". The variety of the dam and sire determine the pup's variety, even if the pup grows oversize. Standards usually start closer to 20" and up full grown.

That said, it's so hard to measure a wiggly puppy that weight is often all we can be fairly sure of til they stop wiggling :).

My boys are both minis. At 13w 4d, Neo, the larger, was 6.1lbs. His smaller brother, Remo, was 5lbs. They're now full grown and are about 14" and 14lbs, and 12-13" and 12-13lbs respectively.

Going thru puppy stages, they go thru spurts. This pup is larger than my boys were at that age, but as lily cd re and PtP said, may just grow to be an oversize mini or a small standard.

She looks poodley to me, fwiw. I'll post pics of my boys at about 10wks and then something current.

I also second getting your pup used to grooming asap. I know many folks are now preferring the not-a-poodle look, but she is going to need to learn to be groomed as it will need to be done her whole life. After she's really used to the process, and comfortable with it, you can let the face fuzz grow. Any groomer who has to work with her will thank you, and she'll be much calmer thru the process.

It's too bad there isn't more info about her background, but she looks awfully cute!

·
Registered
3,635 Posts
In any case good luck with the puppy. I'm sure he will be a love bug regardless of his size. I'd probably ,( as usually recommended) take him to your vet within the first 48 hours for a health checkup. Good luck and we will all look forward to hearing ab out him.

·
Registered
3,635 Posts
Thankyou Catherine. I am getting happier and happier with Renn. His littermate Ruby Grace and Hamilton both are now champions and Hamilton recently was in poodle variety. HIs breeder has been doing very well in the show circuit and now also has a mini, Ivy that is doing well too. Our Dogs
I think I got really lucky getting Renn as I didn't know a whole lot back then. I'm leaning toward a playmate, lol but not there yet LOL. I'd have to be crazy.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
I would only accept a Standard Poodle from a really excellent breeder even if a gift, or none. Best of luck.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Our mini weighed 8.9 pounds at 14 weeks; weighs 10.5 at 18 weeks if that's any help.
Unless you plan to show or breed your pup the size won't matter. Over or under size pups in a litter happen. This is where the terms "Royal" an"Teacup" come into play. I prefer larger Standard Poodles who are still AKC show standard range BUT never refer to them as Royals ! No matter the final size your new Poodle reaches you will love the Poodle breed.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Those puppies could be minis that will go oversize or they could be really sort of undersize standards. My Lily at 11 weeks weighed 11 pounds. She is a fine boned standard who weighs around 36 pounds as an adult. My real concerns based on the pics you showed though are not what size the pups are supposed to be or how big they will finish as adults, but rather the lack of grooming, including scruffy looking coats and so much tear staining. My current signature picture is of Javelin when he was about 6 weeks old. I saw him and his littermates in person several times and got numerous pictures of them as they were growing. They were all always as well groomed as in that picture. To me that is an important sign of a good breeder. Not just that the pups are neat and clean but more importantly that the breeder is getting them used to all of the grooming that goes with being a poodle.
I thought the same.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Sandy weighed right around that when she was the same age. She is an oversize mini 20lbs ( though she didn’t reach that weight until recently) and 16inches. I would be concerned about the grooming through as most good poodle breeders have faces and feet done several times by that age as they need to be kept groomed often as a puppy so that they will be well mannered poodles while being groomed when they are older. I would start with the grooming ASAP.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts