Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So someone that lives on my block that has a 12 year old black mini poodle, pointed out to me that Ted is really big for a mini poodle.

Last I measured Ted, he was 15 inches (from which I've read is the norm for mini's), and he weights 10 lbs, and a bit less. I saw 10 lbs. at the vet's office, and on the scale we have at home (I know, not the best method), he's not even touching the ten pound mark.

In comparison to the neighbor's mini poodle, Bella, (she's a cutie!), Ted looked bigger.

My mom started telling me that she noticed Ted has been getting larger and taller, but I just figured it was his growing fur that made him look bigger. But lately, I've been seeing it, too. :wacko: Ted is two years old, so why does he look bigger, lol. As for it being a cause of his diet, dude's a picky eater, too! So when I went to the vet for a checkup for his kennel cough after we got him, I was surprised when the vet told me he gained a pound from when he was brought to the shelter.

So is anyone else's mini on the larger side of the spectrum, or is it just my little nutter-butter?

The attached picture was taken a few days ago. His legs are so long! Longer than Bella's. :wacko:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Are you sure he's 15 inches (at the top of the shoulder blade) and only 10 pounds? He doesn't look that thin in his photo.

Mini poodles should be more than 10 inches up to 15 inches tall at the shoulder, so your mini is definitely a normal size. But a 10.5 inch mini would be equally correct, but look much smaller.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
I think Nickel is an oversized mini. He's now 5 months old and measures 13.5 inches and weighs 13 lbs Both of his parents are 15 inches tall and weigh 16 and 18 lbs.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
I think Nickel is an oversized mini. He's now 5 months old and measures 13.5 inches and weighs 13 lbs Both of his parents are 15 inches tall and weigh 16 and 18 lbs.
He's not oversized yet... maybe he just did a lot of growing in the first five months. You never know. Jager's growth really slowed down after he hit 6 months.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are you sure he's 15 inches (at the top of the shoulder blade) and only 10 pounds? He doesn't look that thin in his photo.

Mini poodles should be more than 10 inches up to 15 inches tall at the shoulder, so your mini is definitely a normal size. But a 10.5 inch mini would be equally correct, but look much smaller.
Yup, 15 inches at the shoulder blade. The weight: when we were at the vet, the assistant had to hold down Ted, increasing the number the scale, but when the assistant loosened his hold, I looked up to see 10.odd number on the screen. Maybe I should call the vet tomorrow and ask.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know this is off-topic, but Nickel is a super handsome little guy. I love his silver coat! Just had to tell you that, lol.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
I meant, I think he might become one :p His growth slowed down a bit in the past few weeks. He used to gain a pound a week and he has only gained 1 pound in the past 3 weeks. But he has grown 2 inches in the past 3 weeks. He is taller than I thought a 5-mth-old would be.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
well then yes, he is a big mini! 15 inches is the top height that a mini can possibly be! Any larger than 15" and he'd technically actually be a small standard (though they're more commonly called an oversized mini)

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well then yes, he is a big mini! 15 inches is the top height that a mini can possibly be! Any larger than 15" and he'd technically actually be a small standard (though they're more commonly called an oversized mini)
I don't think they make carriers for those kinda big boys! =P

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Depends on what kind of carrier you are looking for. I got the large one for Nickel Snoozer Airline Approved Wheeled Pet Roll

I haven't used it as a backpack or roller case yet. I have set it up as a carseat and it works great. I used it as his bed when we went on a roadtrip and he liked it.
I've actually been looking at that carrier for a while now, but the dimensions made me a bit wary. I would love to use the car seat function of it. Ted is like a buzzing fly in the car, and when he calms down he resorts to sitting/laying out on my lap. Which makes me sometimes paranoid, after he tossed his cookies on me once in the car. >.<

·
Registered
8,040 Posts
I have a big mini--he's 16" at the withers (shoulders) and 20 lbs. He's 14 months old, in great shape, very activity and a handful (make that armful!) to carry. I knew he was going to be a big fellow, he was heads and shoulders above his littermates when I first met him. It sounds like you're a very conscientious poodle owner. I'm sure your vet can reassure about your poodles weight and overall condition. Let us know what the vet tells you!

Attachments

·
Registered
254 Posts
My older mini, Tessa is 15 inches and 18 pounds. She is on the heavier side. Apparantly her brother from another litter (a Palman poodle), is about 16-17 inches tall at the withers.

My younger mini, Buffy is 13.5 inches and 15 pounds. Both girls are on the stocky side, neither overweight according to the vet.

In Europe they have 4 sizes, they have toy (up to 11 inches), dwarf (11 - 14), miniature (14-18) and Standard (max 24.5). I might have those numbers slightly wrong, but either way, your cutey pie is still a mini, a tall, slender mini!

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have a big mini--he's 16" at the withers (shoulders) and 20 lbs. He's 14 months old, in great shape, very activity and a handful (make that armful!) to carry. I knew he was going to be a big fellow, he was heads and shoulders above his littermates when I first met him. It sounds like you're a very conscientious poodle owner. I'm sure your vet can reassure about your poodles weight and overall condition. Let us know what the vet tells you!
Dang, that's a big boy! Lol. I'm still considering calling his vet about his weight. My mom is still making me slighty paranoid with her "Teddy is getting so big. Don't you think so? He's bigger than the Teddy we got at North Shore." theory.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
I love minis that are at the top or over the standard. They just look so much like a standard, but smaller. I think Chagall is stunning. :)

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I forgot to add, Chagall, your poodle's coat color is so cool and pretty! :) *is wondering how Ted will look dyed silver*

Have you seen schnauzerpoodle's silver mini? :D

·
Registered
768 Posts
Panda is an oversized mini, he is 5 and a half months old and is already 15 1/2" tall and 17lbs, he still has some growing to do too and lots of bulking out, he is going to be a big boy!

He was a lot bigger than the rest of the puppies in his litter and he is currently over 3KG heavier than the next largest puppy. I will have to take some new pictures of him and post them on here ^_^

·
Registered
644 Posts
Fozzie will be a year old on August 3. He is exactly 15 inches at the shoulder and currently weighs 14.2 lbs. He is on the slender/svelte side but not overly so. I'm told he'll add a little weight as he ages and his metabolism slows down so I'm not sweating the food situation too much right now. It's harder to get him to eat. :eek:hwell:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts