Poodle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Firstly thanks so much for having me. First post to be honest. Have a mini Poodle Misty who is 7. About a month ago we noticed she was scratching away and after some careful inspection we noticed she had scabs all over her body. Now we know poodles are prone to skin issues but she has been fine up until now. We have been washing her with an oatmeal and aloe Vera shampoo and it’s been fine. After noticing the scabs we took her to the vet and they prescribed her Malaseb. I’ve included the photo. It’s been no help and it seems the scabs are getting worse. Can anyone give me some suggestions on it or what we could use.

·
Premium Member
23,232 Posts
Itchiness and excessive scratching are often signs of food intolerances or sensitivities and like Dechi I would look at food as the underlying issue for your dog. I would do a NutriScan analysis to help decide what your dog's diet should include/exclude.

Reactions: Dechi and cowpony

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you guys I honestly have not looked at this I guess because she’s been fine for most of her life and the problem has just popped up now but I will take a look at it so thanks heaps for these responses

·
Premium Member
23,232 Posts
NutriScan did wonders for me in planning a diet for our dogs that was nutritionally complete and avoided items that were not good for them based on the results. the health issues disappeared very quickly. If you have insurance it should be covered, but honestly since I paid out of pocket I still say it was well worth it based on what I think we have saved in vet bills.

·
Super Moderator
5,310 Posts
Welcome! Poor Misty. :(

I agree that I would approach this more from a holistic perspective. Treating a systemic issue topically is like smashing the blinking "check engine" light in your car and hoping it's fixed. I'd also be wary of applying poison to already troubled skin.

Did the vet do a full blood panel?

I'd skip the oatmeal shampoo while you sort this out. Our groomer told us to avoid this ingredient (which shocked me!), as it actually tends to trigger allergic reactions. I'd stick to a soap-free, fragrance-free shampoo, or even just plain water for now.

I'd also do a thorough audit of all household cleansers and chemicals, indoor and out, to ensure she's not coming into contact with any. This includes those described by manufacturers as "pet safe."

·
Premium Member
23,232 Posts
Actually Peggy one of the things that came up as something for Peeves and Javelin not to eat was oatmeal.

Reactions: PeggyTheParti

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You guys have been a great help I thank you for this. I will take everything on board and will certainly chat with the vet on Monday at mistys appointment thx again

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
In addition to food allergies as a possible culprit, seasonal allergies can cause contact dermatitis. Did the vet discuss the possibility of trying an antihistamine?

Reactions: Dechi
1 - 12 of 12 Posts