Poodle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I have a red mini poodle male 10 month old.
Extremely intelligent and well behaved.
I want to get him a second poodle.

question about getting a 2nd dog:
Should I get male or female?
Should I get Toy or Mini?

·
Registered
439 Posts
A male and female are more likely to get along than same gender. However, poodles are very dog friendly and they will do fine with either gender as a friend. I would get the same size, but some people mix the sizes. The most important thing is to get a healthy puppy/rescue.

·
Super Moderator
7,103 Posts
I think two minis would be wonderful. Toys can be quite fragile, but a female on the larger, sturdier end would be fine, too.

Does your poodle like playing with other dogs? How is she with other dogs in her space and around her toys, food, etc.?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think two minis would be wonderful. Toys can be quite fragile, but a female on the larger, sturdier end would be fine, too.

Does your poodle like playing with other dogs? How is she with other dogs in her space and around her toys, food, etc.?
He is great with other dogs.
Im not sure I want to nuder my red boy poodle if I get a female poodle.

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
I would also stick with mini's for size compatibility. I find it easier to manage dogs of the same size, Two males (neutered) usually get along fine. Two females spayed or not, not as much . People seem to have more problems putting female to female together. I have it in the past had females without problem. Unless you plan to neuter your boy I would not do male/female or you can likely end up with unwanted litters or the male may start marking in the house in the female is not spayed.

·
Premium Member
23,790 Posts
Personally I would wait at least a year before adding another puppy. I want the older dog to be helpful in puppy raising. Our older dogs would have slid downhill into mischief with a new puppy if they had been less than two years old when our third pup arrived in our home. Instead they were great helpers at almost 7 years old.

Reactions: Mufar42

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
I agree with lilyicd too, I also wouldn't add another dog till after mine was 2 and fully trained. I had some opportunities to add another while Renn was approaching 2 and I knew he was not ready and I'd end up with 2 wild dogs instead of 1. Now at age 3, I probably could add another ..if the right opportunity arose.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts