Poodle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I have a 6 months old miniature poodle. Is it normal for him to not want to eat much in the morning? I put the bowl down, he eats a little bit and then he doesn’t anymore or sometimes he does come back to it. For his dinner it is a total different story. He’s very keen to eat and finishes the bowl without stopping.
I’m hoping someone can help me explain his behaviour
Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
5,172 Posts
As long as your puppy gets a good healthy snack before bed (and has 24/7 access to fresh water) I don't think it's a big deal if he skips breakfast. We don't even feed Peggy breakfast anymore. She gets lunch and dinner, which isn't exactly convenient but seems to better suit her appetite.

Have you tried just pushing his breakfast a bit later? Maybe even after a walk?

The only thing to watch out for is bilious vomiting (when a dog vomits bile on an empty stomach, see below link), but the bedtime snack should help with that.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
I switched my two mini boys to two meals a day at about 6 months. Neo will eat anything, anytime, but Remo has preferences. He prefers to eat more of a brunch, so they get brunch and dinner, and as PTP mentioned, a bedtime snack to reduce or eliminate the empty tummy vs gastric juices urping up.

While he's still maturing, it might be better to keep tp the form of two meals a day, even if the portions are uneven, just to keep his system more in balance. I'd check with your vet tho, to see if they feel a single meal, plus well timed snacks will not affect his growth negatively.

·
Registered
6,909 Posts
Every dog is different. Beckie doesn’t really eat in the morning and Merlin very little. As long as he has a good weight and a normal activity level, I wouldn’t worry. If you try to make him eat, you’ll just make him fussy as he’ll be asking for more and more appetizing meals.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Mine started to refuse morning meals at a similar age. I just switched to early afternoon and evening. But after a while he was back to wanting to eat in the morning.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Divas fussy she is fed raw it’s the only food she will complete. I offer her two meals a day late morning and evening but she can be hit and miss with the first meal and often eats all her evening one

·
Super Moderator
5,172 Posts
If you try to make him eat, you’ll just make him fussy as he’ll be asking for more and more appetizing meals.
Chuckling as I read that, as I've recently resorted to spoon-feeding (literally) Queen Peggy.

I've found that if she gets a few little tastes in her, she's much more likely to dig in and eat a whole meal.

My husband gave it a try today and then suddenly seemed to come to his senses and plunked the spoon down. "Nope! Not gonna do that." Lol.

·
Premium Member
23,179 Posts
Peggy be careful about that spoon feeding unless you want to do it for the rest of Peggy's life! Same thing for those who do elaborate toppers and such.

My mom's mpoo is not a fabulous eater and generally normally eats dinner only, but for him that is his norm. I can usually get him to eat 2X per day since if he doesn't finish I let Lily or Javelin eat his food after about 10 minutes if he ignores it.

If you really think you have a dog who is just pokey at their food and you want to get them to eat and finish what is an appropriate meal then put it down for 10 minutes and then take it away and wait until next normal meal time and put it back for ten minutes, repeat as needed until they figure it out and they will eat their meal when it appears. Of course this won't be appropriate if there is a medical reason not to do so.

·
Super Moderator
5,172 Posts
Peggy be careful about that spoon feeding unless you want to do it for the rest of Peggy's life! Same thing for those who do elaborate toppers and such.
Oh I know. It's a slippery slope from giving her a few encouraging tastes to rocking her like a baby while we tantalizingly play the "airplane" game with a spoon. Lord help me! I'm going to try to limit my accommodations to rotating her food through a few different flavours.

I have a friend whose doodle will only eat from ONE side of the bowl and it always has to be the SAME bowl.

·
Registered
93 Posts
My spoo from the get go wouldn’t eat in the morning. She’ll eat around noonish and then again between 8/9pm. I do leave the kibble down in the morning just in case she decides to eat but nope, she’ll eat in the afternoon. She won’t finish the bowl in the afternoon either but will eat most of it and then she grazes on the rest. I will add more kibble and wet food/home cooked for her dinner which she does finish. She has unlimited access to water and there’s a water dispenser in my room where she sleeps as well. I also give her a few treats (homemade biscuits) before bed to prevent an upset stomach.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
We have four dogs each of whom has a different attitude toward meals. The Lab will eat anything any time and as much as possible. The Chihuahua is pretty much like the Lab, although she does some times leave a bit in the bowl. The mini poo rarely eats breakfast (kibble and shredded cheese), but does deign to eat dinner (kibble and canned meat). The old whippet/border collie is really funny about breakfast - he wants a few Cheerios sprinkled on top! If I forget, he stands by his bowl and stares at me until I go get the Cheerios.

I agree with Lily - if a dog does not choose to eat I remove the bowl - unless the Lab or the Chihuahua has already taken care of it!

·
Registered
267 Posts
Teddy has not been eating great in the morning either. Sometimes....he will only eat out of my hand. Why is this? Spoiled baby?!

·
Registered
351 Posts
Raffi is always up for eating no matter what time.
My other dog Apple though, skips a meal here and there on a regular basis and has done so since she was around 9 months old. Basically past the most significant growth phase.
However she also does get a bit of hunger nausea (never pukes though). The earlier I feed her breakfast the better she eats it. If I am late getting their breakfast, I sometimes put one spoonful of chicken chunks in broth (homemade, and it's in the fridge so all gelatinized) on top of Apple's. Basically something mild but with a strong smell. I only do this if I am feeling guilty for making her wait too long lol. But it's a common occurrence on our house to have to pick her bowl up after 15 min or so.
(I don't think it's good for their digestion to nibble at it all day, but even if I wanted to leave it down it would be a source of conflict. Even if Apple doesn't want to eat it, she sure doesn't want Raffi to lol!)

·
Registered
60 Posts
Beau my (almost) 9 month old Mini can be like that. Right now he eats 3 times a day morning, evening and late at night right before bed. He does have his days where he doesn't really want one of his meals, and it is usually breakfast. My Mom is the one who feeds him his breakfast at about 7:30 am after she gets home from work. She has discovered that if she picks up the bowl and acts like she's going to take the food away, then he wants it :rolleyes:. I think sometime within the next month or so I'm going to switch him to 2 meals a day. Sometimes I wonder if part of Beau's problem is being bored with plain kibble, because let me tell you if I add yogurt/cottage cheese, pumpkin powder, or a little cooked fish . . . that bowl is licked clean in about 3 minutes flat.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Mine refused breakfast starting at around 6 months. That's when we started feeding him once a day, plus give him a bedtime snack. We've now settled in to training him with a bit of his food, giving him a smaller dinner, and still giving him a bedtime snack of the balance of his food for the day.

I really felt bad leaving his tummy empty from around 11pm until 4:30pm the next day and that's why we started giving him a small amount of his food for the day.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts