Poodle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My boyfriend has a neutered mini Maltese poodle(Marley) . He’s 5 years old but his potty training skills were always a little shaky as most his life he was outside. We’ve just moved in to a new apartment and I have a 8yr old not neutered Aussie/ healer mix(frank). The Aussie hasn’t had any accidents since the first weeks of moving in which he was also not potty trained and an outside dog. But I am still finding pee everywhere from Marley. And I’m finding it’s not always in the same exact spot but similar areas every time. With frank being very active they both get plenty of daily walks and time to use the restroom, yet we get back and eventually there’s a tiny pee spot. Although being little I feel Marley feels like he’s top dog now with frank, could this be a territory thing? How can I deal with this and train him? I didn’t think anything of territory until today because he is neutered and I believed he was doing okay on accidents until today. Please help!!

·
Super Moderator
3,956 Posts
Your Malti-poo does sound like the new changes is making him feel territorial.

You could try temporarily putting Marly in a belly band when indoors. This brand is my favorite but there are many others at Amazon and elsewhere. Be sure to order for the right size:

JoyDaog Jean Belly Bands for Small Dog Diapers Male Reusable

·
Registered
767 Posts
I'd also recommend giving the areas where he pees a good scrub down. Like, a really really good scrub down with several rounds of urine remover, multiple times. It could be that those areas were marked by a previous dog.

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
It looks like this dog hasn’t had much trainer. I would start over, like a puppy, and tether him to me or on a crate when not supervised, until he understands. The fact that you have an intact dog in the house might make it very, very challenging. If the intact dog also marks inside, you'll never see the end of it.

I would neuter the intact dog, and the maltese as well if he isn’t.

·
Super Moderator
Peggy Sue, Standard Poodle Born May 2019
8,780 Posts
I would work on building up his confidence through fun, positive training games and clear boundaries (such as a bed that is just his and limiting access to rooms that he has no reason to be in). He could be feeling very insecure in this new space and lifestyle.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts