Poodle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure how to spell it but our little Cassie is in the hospital with it. she was throwing up bile and we took her yesterday to the vet - he did xray and thank God she doesn't have a tumor or obstruction but she has this. Has anyone's little guy had this? She is overweight and usually greedy with food so when she didn't want to eat we knew something was up!

Attachments

·
Registered
12,504 Posts
Poor little sausage - Poppy had colitis after getting into the dishwasher at Christmas, and that was quite bad enough. Hope she feels better soon - you may need to watch her diet for a while, though.

·
Registered
593 Posts
One of my cavs has had 2 episodes of pancreatitis..1st episode as far as I can tell was caused by eating a piece of steak after having some cheese for training..2nd episode I don't know what caused it as I am very careful about what goes into his mouth. After his 2nd attack I did adjust his food to something with a little less fat it was hard to find something because he is a performance dog so we needed something with enough protein too so we ended up with Chicken soup senior (even tho he's only 4 now). I make sure all his treats are under 7% fat and actually use chicken a lot for training. I remember when trying to figure all of this out that no one could give me exact numbers of how much fat was too much fat as it is different for each dog.

I know it is very scary when they are having an attack. When Robbie has an attack he starts throwing up every few minutes and will go on for over 40 minutes (of course both times it has happened in the middle of the night) So of course every time he throws up I wonder if we are starting an attack. He actually has not had one for about 2 years now but it still always worries me.

Hoping Cassie is feeling better soon.

There is a Yahoo pancreatitis list that might help. If you have any specific questions about me and Robbie I will try to answer.

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thank you all so much - Susie, my daughter, spoke to the vet and he said she drank some water today and they were going to try and give her something later to eat. she will have to be on a controlled diet. Hmmmm, Susie uses chees a lot for treats - I wonder if that's it - she is overweight though - even though she gets the same amount of food that Gabbie gets they are exactly 10 lbs apart and built differently (littermates) but they will be 10 in Oct. I'm so glad it wasn't a tumor - these are my daughter's babies - she never had any children - thanks for all of your concern. Will let you know how she is. We are already feeding the minis Chicken Soup for seniors - at least she was - I will ask her. i will tell Susie to watch the fat.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Wishing Cassie a speedy recovery:)

·
Registered
8,040 Posts
My friend's Rat Terrier also had an episode of pancreatitis but recovered well and adjusted to his new lower fat diet. I wish the same for pudgy little Cassie. It's so frightening to see a dog get so suddenly violently ill. Keep us posted on her condition, please! My heart really goes out to your daughter, dogs do in every way become our "furkids," even if you have human ones.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
My miniature schnauzer had an episode when he was five and that was one of the most terrifying moments. He kept on throwing up and he almost lost his consciousness when we were on our way to the emergency. He couldn't even hold his head up at the emergency room. He couldn't even respond when I called his name. The vet there even said i might lose him that night. Luckily, after $800 (this happened 10 years ago) he was okay but he had to stay there for a night and then i had to transfer him to his regular vet.

But the good news is, even for schnauzers, a breed that's prone to pancreatitis, a low fat diet (watch out for fatty treats!) can really help preventing another episode.

I wish Cassie a speedy recovery.

p.s. I got pet insurance for Yonkie after this incident.

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cassie is home from the hospital and doing ok - she is not herself yet. I told my daughter about the fatty treats etc and she will not be giving Cassie or Gabbie their favorite treat - cheese - anymore. right now on chicken and rice. Thanks for all the concern and advice!

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Susie says she is back to herself today - I'm so glad! thanks for your good thoughts and prayers.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts