Poodle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried a couple weeks ago to do a clean face on my mini poodle and used a mini Arco. He is 3.5 months old and the mini Arco seemed to shave very close. After doing some research, I saw that it is a #30 blade. From what I understand, that is a closer cut than a 10. I also have the bravura. Should I just use the bravura on the face or are there replacement blades for the mini Arco that are #10? I would prefer not to have that short of face. He is a cream colored poodle. Any ideas?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
This is a recent picture of Rufus. I’m kinda embarrassed at how I’ve been doing at grooming. The grooming videos make it look easier than it is for me. I need help doing top knot and everything. I think I will try to cut the legs, feet, and body shorter while letting the top grow so I can try a top knot again. We live in the country and he gets burrs in his feet and legs. I’ve tried watching YouTube videos but just the shave with the clippers didn’t turn out as good as I was hoping for.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
Not bad we all have to learn and I haven't even started. Maybe you could take him to a groomer, then each week take a little off following their lines. Sometimes that is easier I've not done my st poodle but I have done mini schnauzers and my shih tau in past years. I always went to a groom first it made it easier for me to see. His nose doesn't look like its clipped short at all.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Maybe you could take him to a groomer, then each week take a little off following their lines.
That's a really good idea and what I would suggest, too.

Face and top knot are really hard. For me the face is hard because Miracle doesn't trust me with clipping her face, so she struggles a lot. For the top knot, a curved scissors is recommended and I don't have one of those. Keep practicing and hopefully it gets easier.

For me, it's not a big deal if my girl doesn't look perfect, because I clip her myself to save money and time.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
You can't clip away adorable :). You're braver than I am. I've only ever done FFT.

·
Registered
537 Posts
The mini Arco has only the one blade, and it is a 30. I think its best novice use is for feet. I would use the Bravura set at 10 for the face while you are learning, and since you are working with a cream dog. Creams/whites get razor burn more easily. Good luck! Home grooming has a learning curve, but the hair always grows back and gives you another opportunity :)

I'm on my own learning curve. I've used an Andis with a 30 blade and wahl snap-on metal combs and had (1) amazing result (a few other attempts were good tries, not bad). Then I thought I'd try a 5F blade and it just didn't look as good- less smooth. My pre-work (fluff drying) isn't perfect because Navy's not super cooperative with that process. Perhaps this means that the 5F requires better hair prep than snap-on combs?

Other Arco mini information: the blades are difficult to impossible to sharpen. So when your blade gets dull you have to repurchase, which is where I'm at right now. This is why I would not recommend this clipper to someone looking to buy.

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
This is a recent picture of Rufus. I’m kinda embarrassed at how I’ve been doing at grooming. The grooming videos make it look easier than it is for me. I need help doing top knot and everything. I think I will try to cut the legs, feet, and body shorter while letting the top grow so I can try a top knot again. We live in the country and he gets burrs in his feet and legs. I’ve tried watching YouTube videos but just the shave with the clippers didn’t turn out as good as I was hoping for.
I like Sue Zecco's videos very much and Jay Scruggs has a very nice one on doing topknots. Those are helpful to me.

It's a learning curve for all of us...we, too, have had some strange looking haircuts, but it does get better.

For burrs, if they are dry, crush each one with needle nose pliers and they comb right out. Otherwise, work in a large amount of dry cornstarch then slowly comb out. Blow or brush out remaining cornstarch because if it gets wet you will have a gluey mess on your hands.

Best of luck....keep at it!

·
Registered
7,262 Posts
I use the mini arco sometimes on my minipoo’s face but usually use the bravura set at 10.

My dog tends to pick up burrs at the park so I keep an extra butter comb in my car. The sooner you discover and remove the burr the easier it is to disentangle. The longer the burr remains, it gets more tangled in the fur making it harder to remove. If you are out with your dog walking an area with burrs, consider slipping a comb into your back pocket and checking your dog every once and a while. Sometimes they step on them; if it’s uncomfortable or painful so they will return to you for help.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts