Poodle Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Mini: Looks like Dakota and my Coda not only have similar names but similar weights! He is 4 months old today and is 9 pounds and 2 oz. The exact weight as your Dakota at the 4 month marker!! He is 12.5 inches tall. His weight at 3 months was close, at 7 pounds to your 6 lbs, 10 oz. Only time will tell....We are two months behind you....I need to post pictures...

·
Registered
669 Posts
Here is a chart of Ari's growth over the past 7 weeks:

Looks like Ari is going to be an in-size to petite mini girl. She now weighs 8 lb at 17 weeks, 2 days old. I'll post again in another 7 weeks with updated figures.

She is now almost exactly twice as much poodle than she was at 10 weeks! During that steep phase of growth between 4.5 lb and 6.1 lb, she gained 30% of her starting weight.

That's like a 130 lb person gaining 40 lb of bone and muscle in two weeks without getting fat (even though humans obviously don't grow that way, I still thought the comparison puts it in perspective).... Kind of freaky! I wonder if she can feel her bones growing.

Plotted against data provided about Chagall and Dakota:

If someone has more data to contribute, I'd be glad to add to the composite graph! It would be really neat to compile some poodle-specific growth data.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I don't have weekly specifics, but at 8-9 weeks Lila was 2.3lbs, at 16 weeks she was 6lbs, a year she was 12lbs, and she matured to be 15lbs and exactly 14" by the time she was two.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
470 Posts
For Comparison...

I thought I'd add Mochi's data since she's a weird case. I tend to call her a Miniature for insurance or vet visits but she's actually a cross between a 14in Mpoo (sire) and a 3rd generation moyen bitch whose pedigree had standards and real European imported Moyens, eventually tossed with a miniature and other "homemade" moyens. I don't know how tall the bitch was but she looked maybe 20in? Mochi was the runt of the litter - very much smaller than the rest. Now at 40 weeks old, she's 14 3/4 inches at the shoulder (very roughly measured) and one female litter-mate is about 16 inches (Pella/Brie's girl Lena).

That period from about 20 weeks to about 26 weeks where there's no data is when she was teething and seemed to eat nothing most days, and cried all night long. I was terrified because she was not gaining weight and actually did loose half a pound during this time.

Mochi's growth charts for weight and height below. I think the line would be solid connecting the points if I had entered values for every single week...

Attachments

·
Registered
669 Posts
I thought I'd add Mochi's data since she's a weird case. I tend to call her a Miniature for insurance or vet visits but she's actually a cross between a 14in Mpoo (sire) and a 3rd generation moyen bitch whose pedigree had standards and real European imported Moyens, eventually tossed with a miniature and other "homemade" moyens. I don't know how tall the bitch was but she looked maybe 20in? Mochi was the runt of the litter - very much smaller than the rest. Now at 40 weeks old, she's 14 3/4 inches at the shoulder (very roughly measured) and one female litter-mate is about 16 inches (Pella/Brie's girl Lena).

That period from about 20 weeks to about 26 weeks where there's no data is when she was teething and seemed to eat nothing most days, and cried all night long. I was terrified because she was not gaining weight and actually did loose half a pound during this time.

Mochi's growth charts for weight and height below. I think the line would be solid connecting the points if I had entered values for every single week...
It's easier for me to load numeric data than graphic data... any chance you can give me that? (i.e. 8 wks, 5.1 lb etc)

Thanks! :act-up:

·
Registered
470 Posts
Hi Sophie Anne,

I wasn't thinking of adding to your chart but it could be nice to see how she compares directly!

Here it is, condensed version without weeks where no data was entered.
Wks Lbs. In.
7 3 6
9 3.6 7
12 4.8 8
13 6.1 9
14 7 10
17 8.1 11
19 9.7 12
26 9.5 13
29 10.6 13.5
31 11.7
32 11.5 14
35 12 14
37 12
40 12 14.75

·
Registered
669 Posts
Hi Sophie Anne,

I wasn't thinking of adding to your chart but it could be nice to see how she compares directly!

Here it is, condensed version without weeks where no data was entered.
Wks Lbs. In.
7 3 6
9 3.6 7
12 4.8 8
13 6.1 9
14 7 10
17 8.1 11
19 9.7 12
26 9.5 13
29 10.6 13.5
31 11.7
32 11.5 14
35 12 14
37 12
40 12 14.75
Got it! The data is in the perfect format to import quickly. It's really interesting to have so many data points for Mochi! Thanks!

Here's the updated chart, with a couple other datasets from this thread added in. There are data labels on Chagall's points (bold) and Mochi's points (italic) to make the chart a little easier to read.

Ari seems to be following a growth pattern very similar to Mochi. She lost her first tooth yesterday, and hasn't been very hungry lately even though I soften her kibble with broth overnight (so it is more like pudding). I think her mouth hurts. Poor pups, growing up ain't easy! I wonder if Ari and Mochi will end up about the same size.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Sophie Anne, here are Zoe's weights so far:

Age (weeks) Weight
9 3.2
11 4.2
12 4.63
14 5.4
15 5.56
17 6.6

She is very refined and not at all plump - she is a rather picky eater and very, very active!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Poodle size (toy, miniature, standard) is determined by measuring the adult at the withers (not by weight). Looking at his parents should give you some idea how big he will be.

My 14 month old mini is 15.5" at the withers and 16 lbs. She was 11.75" and 8.2 lbs when she was exactly 12 weeks old. She didn't hit 13.2 lbs (6kg) until she was 6 months old, and then she was 14.5".

Hope this helps.
How do you measure a dog at the withers?

·
Premium Member
3,371 Posts
PeggyTheParti has an excellent method, if you don't have a wicket (an official measuring tool).

For measuring height, I highly recommend using the ruler against the wall method. Or even a pen or pencil. Just lay it flat across the top of the shoulders until it touches the wall, jab your finger against the spot on the wall to mark it, then let puppy run free while you measure. You can even just lay your hand flat on the shoulders while your puppy's close to the wall. Lure with a treat in the other hand if you have to.

You may have already figured out a method that works for you, but I'm sharing because lots of people seem to struggle with this, especially with wiggly pups!

·
Super Moderator
7,216 Posts
The easiest method I’ve found is to hold a pencil level across your dog’s withers and make a light mark against the wall. Then release your dog and measure from the floor to the mark.

You can also just hold your hand flat on the withers and poke a finger against the wall, release your dog, and measure to your finger.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts