Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Evening everyone , just we a wee question I was at the vets today for charkie to get his unjections and she weigh Charlie he was 6kg..the vet thought maybe he was big for a minature and maybe he was more standard... So I got home and measured charlie from feet to shoulder he was 10inches... Charlie is 12 weeks old and the vet thought he was big for a poodle.. Any Thoughts please to maybe what your poodles weighed or do weigh etc please.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Poodle size (toy, miniature, standard) is determined by measuring the adult at the withers (not by weight). Looking at his parents should give you some idea how big he will be.

My 14 month old mini is 15.5" at the withers and 16 lbs. She was 11.75" and 8.2 lbs when she was exactly 12 weeks old. She didn't hit 13.2 lbs (6kg) until she was 6 months old, and then she was 14.5".

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
So he's 12 weeks, 13.2 pounds, and 10 inches?

I have a smaller standard, she is 15 weeks and only 15 pounds. and 12.5 to 13 inches. When she was 12 weeks, she was 8 pounds and around 10 inches. She doubled her weight in 3 weeks. :alberteinstein::alberteinstein:

So it does sound like you have a taller-than-normal, heavier-than-normal mini for 12 weeks. Do you have information about his parents? He may just be an early bloomer, or he may grow up to be an oversized mini like Chagall and Beau.

All my estimates from doing research and talking to my standard's breeder puts her at an adult height of around 21 inches and an adult weight of 30-35 pounds. Do you have a picture of him?:act-up::act-up:

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
I have pictures of my dearly departed adult mini who at some point was around the same weight and height as her, but they look completely different despite being the same color. My standard (pictured) she's small but built more standard-y with the large muzzle and paws.

ImageUploadedByPG Free1423610932.996978.jpg

·
Registered
3,617 Posts
Abbey is a standard and is 13 weeks old today, she weighs 23 lbs and is 16 inches at the withers. She has been growing like crazy the past 2 weeks.

·
Registered
658 Posts
So he's 12 weeks, 13.2 pounds, and 10 inches?

I have a smaller standard, she is 15 weeks and only 15 pounds. and 12.5 to 13 inches. When she was 12 weeks, she was 8 pounds and around 10 inches. She doubled her weight in 3 weeks. :alberteinstein::alberteinstein:

So it does sound like you have a taller-than-normal, heavier-than-normal mini for 12 weeks. Do you have information about his parents? He may just be an early bloomer, or he may grow up to be an oversized mini like Chagall and Beau.

All my estimates from doing research and talking to my standard's breeder puts her at an adult height of around 21 inches and an adult weight of 30-35 pounds. Do you have a picture of him?:act-up::act-up:

I agree completely. My girly is a small standard (out of 2 standards) and she has a growth pattern similar to Naira. Like Naira, you could tell she's not a mini because of her bone structure.

Right now my Hazel is 6 months old and about 25 pounds and about 20 inches. (I need to remeasure her).

It is possible that your mini will be a tall Mini. Maybe not as heavy or tall as my small standard but taller then 15 inches.

I think Changal (I can't remember if it is one L or 2) is a tall mini. Maybe search for him and see if that gives you any ideas.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi all sorry for the wrong detail.. I have just weighed Charlie.. Fist myself in the scales and then I lifted him.. He is 4.7 kg and not 6kg is this normal range?? And height 10inches to highest point of shoulders.. Is this normal for a mini?

·
Registered
295 Posts
Cooper is a miniature poodle. I don't recall what he weighed at 12 weeks, but I do know he grew like a weed between 10 weeks and 6 months.

He's now 11 months old and is 17.5 pounds (8 kg) and 15 inches (38 cm) at the withers. The vet said he won't get taller, but might fill in a bit.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Hazel was 11 pounds (or about 4.98kg) at 12 weeks old (I went back to look for sure) so I'd wager that 4.7kg (10.36 pounds) will put her on the tall side of a mini.

But a tall Mini won't look the same as a small standard.

Do you know the size of the parents? That can help give you an idea of where they might fall. Hazel's parents were both in the 20-22 inch range so I don't see her going over 22". I think she is a bit over 20 right now at 6 months. I'll weigh and measure her tonight.

·
Registered
780 Posts
My mini puppy, Molly is 12 weeks old and about 9 or 9 1/2" and weighs 5.6 pounds. The breeder thinks she will come in at about 14". We got Callie at 16 weeks. She was about 11 inches and weighed 7.6 pounds. She is now four and is 14" and 16 pounds.

·
Registered
8,040 Posts
Just want to share how big and fast my silver mini boy grew. He's out of an insize dam and sire, but grew to be oversize at 17.75". I didn't keep a record of his height all along (unfortunately!), but here are some of his weight stats taken at the vet's.

9 weeks 4.2 lbs
10 weeks 5.4 lbs
14 weeks 6.6 lbs
6 months 16.8 lbs
7 months 18.5 lbs
8 months 19.9 lbs
15 months 21.5 lbs
23 months 20.9 lbs
4 years 22 lbs/17.75" -- he's the exact same today at 5+ years!

Reactions: Naira

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Luce is a mini and was the smallest in her litter. She was 2.25lbs at 8 weeks. 12 weeks she was 4lb. 3oz. 16 weeks she was 5lb. 14oz. After that she gained 8oz. per week!! The vets office didn't write it down and I didn't thinking they did :( I do remember she gained 8oz per week for almost 2 months! When she got up to 9lbs or so her weight gain slowed down a lot, and now looking back and thinking about it that may mean her growth was coming to an end.

by the time she reached 8 months (32-34 weeks?) she weighed 11.4lbs. and the vets office said she will fill out. I'm still waiting for her to fill out at 2 years old LOL. She is about 12" at the withers, it's hard to measure her alone.

Since she has had FHO surgery on BOTH hips:argh: the surgeon said top weight for her is 13lbs - no ball joints!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Charlotte is about 36cm at the shoulder and weighs 7.5kg. She weighed 7kg for the first two years and then in the last she has really become solid. I always felt she was a little underweight and weedy before but now she's pretty good.

I think she was a lot smaller than yours at 12 weeks.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Interesting thread. Linus will be 9wks tomorrow. Last week at his 8wk appointment I don't know how tall he was but he weighed 4.8lbs. I hadn't specifically thought of doing weekly height/weight checks but thanks to this thread I will do so :)

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Looks like Dakota will be an in-size mini. He is about 6 months and just over 12 lbs. and about 13 inches high.

Online dog weight calculator predicts his adult weight at 14-15 lbs.

My head says I wanted a mini that was 18-20 lbs. My back says he is the perfect weight.

10 weeks - 5 lb 4 oz
3 months – 6 lb 10 oz
4 months – 9 lbs 2 oz
5 months – 11 lbs 14 oz
6 months – 12 lbs 6 oz

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
The "Tiny Calculator" says Dakota will be 18-19 pounds :)
You are so funny! In a few months we will know if the Tiny calculator is right. If so, you need to start a website.

PS - Doesn't count if we just pork him up with treats. So far he is like a lean gazelle.

·
Banned
10,387 Posts
You are so funny! In a few months we will know if the Tiny calculator is right. If so, you need to start a website.

PS - Doesn't count if we just pork him up with treats. So far he is like a lean gazelle.

The calculator refers to lean weight :) When people ask how much Teaka weighs I reply "do you want to know what she should weigh, or what she does weigh?" Lol
*Disclaimer, so far the Tiny Calculator had only been tested on Toys, I cannot guarantee it's reliability for Minis.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts