Poodle Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What with Poppy's liver failure, cruciate ligament injury and sore shoulder, and my gammy hip, not to mention the weather alternating between heat wave and torrential rain, walks have been on the short side this year. I have been building up very gradually over the last six weeks or so, and this morning we walked all the way to where the rivers meet and back - a whole two miles in one walk! It may not sound like much, but it is the furthest Poppy has walked without a rest part way since she was first ill, and the most I have managed in one go for some months. Still not close to the walks we did when we were all younger and fitter, but if we can get back to averaging three miles a day I will be very happy, and so will Sophy. Even Poppy is much better with plenty of gentle walking - I think reducing the Pred is giving her more energy, as well as more fluff.

·
Premium Member
Miss Pia Maria , Mr. Leonard Pink , Ida Lou and Ussman
8,563 Posts
I am glad Poppy is doing as well as she is, here's to living the best life

·
Premium Member
15,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have to say she was whacked after another half a mile this afternoon, but it had turned very warm!

·
Registered
10,451 Posts
That’s quite a good distance , that’s excellent progress

Reactions: fjm and Mfmst

·
Premium Member
15,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Time was we would not have thought twice about it, but as 18 months ago her limit was a 50 yard stroll around the car park it is definitely progress. If I can get her up to 2.5 miles it opens up several of our favourite circular walks - having to turn back after 3/4 mile has rather limited our choice.

·
Premium Member
7,167 Posts
Well done, all of you! Wonderfully amazing to have just a simple, beautiful, normal day :).

Reactions: fjm

·
Premium Member
15,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have often considered a stroller, PtP, but the logistics are tricky - our favourite walks involve rough ground and stiles, and all-terrain strollers are expensive. If we get to the stage where Poppy can't enjoy walks without one it would be worth the investment, but at present we just have to compromise a little on distance, hills and steps. If necessary I carry her - I have a sling but it needs altering to make it more comfortable for both of us.

·
Premium Member
4,552 Posts
I'm really impressed with her distance, and how gently you encouraged it, fjm. Prior to the summer, Mia was comfortable with 2.0 miles, but 2.5 miles was pushing it and 2.7 miles was too far. With the summer heat, we're down to 1 mile in our longest outings. I attempted 1.5 miles on Sunday, but it was a bit much for her (she rather eagerly led me back to the car). Unfortunately, most of our loop trails where she can be off leash are 2.7 miles, so it's taking a lot of compromising and ingenuity to find engaging but safe walks.

·
Premium Member
15,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
She is definitely happier with two shorter walks even now, Liz, and if it is really warm half a mile is enough. But little by little we are getting there, and I am looking forward to longer walks in the cool of the Autumn.

Reactions: Liz

·
Premium Member
4,552 Posts
You can still go on the off leash trails. Just make your own loop. Go 1 mile (or however far, ½ way is) then turn around and come back.
That's what's known as an out-and-back, and unfortunately we miss all the pretty, less populated sections where she can be off-leash safely, and instead travel only the more populated and less interesting trailhead sections. If only there were a way to start in the middle! But I've managed to find two short (only 1/2 mile), less popular trails (because they're so short!) and one even has a tiny loop at the end. Once it cools down in a month or so, I hope to build up again.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.