Poodle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I came across a lady in Northern Ca that has been looking for a younger male Standard Poodle about a month ago when I first started looking to place Mikey. She and her family (all girls) seemed very interested but I told her I decided to wait and work with him a little longer and see how it goes.
When I came home this Saturday from being gone a few hrs my husband said how he's been walking around the house cowered and seemed stressed about being home with out me there. I decided to make the call and see if she wanted to finally meet him. She came over late Saturday evening and fell in love with him. So now Mikey has a new home with Geneva, her daughter's and there Standard Poodle Mr. Yea!!!!!

I do feel a liitle sad it didn't work but I really think he will be much happier with a family of all girls until he can develope confidence around men. At my home Im the only girl here. He would litterally follow me around and didn't do anything with the rest of the family.

I just wanted to share about Mikey's new home. Im really hoping it will work out and be great forever home for him. He deserves it...he is a sweety...well to me he was. lol

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Sorry things didn't work out with Mikey, but it sounds like he
has a great new home with people that will love him and take
care of him. :)

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I'm glad everything worked out! Maybe he will be happier and fit in with them.

Are you still looking for a puppy?
Im keeping my eyes and ears open but not actually looking. I have some interest in a few breeders in Ca but Im not prepared to spend the $3,000 on one yet. Possibly the beginning of next year I'll start looking....maybe. I have been tempted with a Amstaff breeding but Im not sure Im ready for Amstaffs again. I love Amstaff's but Im torn between the two breeds at this point.

Me wanting to show a Poodle means I have about 2 hrs, if not more, grooming the morning of show and constant maintaining the coat during shows (really isn't a big deal). I also have my two kids and with the major grooming that comes along with showing poodles it makes it hard to prepare before a show.

I used to bath my Amstaffs the night prior and trim up the ear and face hair. The day of show spray some coat shine and a little chalk on the white to brighten the coat and done....there's your show dog.

Im honestly torn at this point on what I want. I can't leave the show world behind as I already tried for a year and a half now and Im not happy with just having pets. Just don't know....but yes Mikey seems to have found a great home. I just hope he adjust's well and they love him.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Can you ask the lady to join this group so we can continue to watch Mikey grow up? I totally understand your choice, but I will miss him as he is one of my favorite spoo's on here to watch.
As far as choosing between breeds, that is hard. I love my crestie girls and had toyed with showing down the road but I have two little boys and I don't think now would be a good time.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I sure will when I speak with her. I have called her 3 times now and she hasn't returned my calls. He only left Saturday at 6 pm but still I wanted to know how its going. If not well, I would surely drive up and pick him up right away. I just hope she calls me later.

Ok.... see now Im assuming the worste. I hate re-homing pets to people. ERRR it's so hard. I really stressed to this lady that Im only giving him up to a forever home. Someone thats know's what they are taking on. I told her everything about Mikey and I really hope if she doesn't like him she call me to get him. I honestly already miss the little stinker but hope he adjusts and likes her home.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I got a email from the lady and she says all is going well other than her male Mister will not stop mounting Mikey. She and Mikey have had enough I guess. Also he is warming up to the family but she can tell he still reflects on our family a lot. I guess she means he's sad.

So, I will hope the mounting thing improves soon and he settles in a happy dog. Ive been stressed all day over it and Im glad I got some kind of response.

Thanks everyone for your positive comments.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh, isn't she already a member of this forum? I remember someone with a poodle named Mister on this forum as well as:

http://www.prodoggroomingsupplies.com/dog-forums/index.php

Isn't that the same one? Maybe she'll come back.

No thats not the same Mister...you had me going there for a minute. lol Her Standard is black and 2 yrs old. Im still pretty bummed I actually found Mike a good home. Yes, I know that sounds silly. I guess you don't always realize how much you'd miss something until its gone.

Ive been pretty pathetic eating chocolate all day, pouting around the house. My husband says for me to get him back since Im so sad now. A small part of me hopes it doesn't work out but really I do hope it works out for his good. We will just wait and see. I'll get over being sad...I just wanted the best for him.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Oh that must be so tough! (I say as I reach for the chocolate) Power of suggestion! I went to Chicago last week and had to go to Vosges Chocolate. They have lots of wild combinations like bacon and chocolate. I bought the Mexican ancho y chipotle chillies, ceylon cinnamon dark chocolate!!! Beats the [email protected] out of Hershey's!

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yummmm...thats sounds good. I never thought bacon and chocolate but who am I to say. Ive been eating apple slices with colby jack cheese (together, like sandwiched) thats really weird but darn it taste good to me. lol

Oh and NO Im not pregnant. :tongue:

I got some great news from Geneva saying that this evening is going great with Mike. Looks like him and his new brother are getting along well now. Im so happy to hear that. Certainly make's missing him easier. She says she will send me pics soon and I told her about the forum as well. :):)

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
I hope she will join the forum. I fell for ya Jenn. I have gone around the mountain about Teddy too. He seems to be settling a little better and listening a litte better but he needs a lot of exercise. If Ginger would only run with him in the yard! In the summer I used to let him out the gate by the pool and he would run around the pool - around and around - then when he was tired I let Ginger out and they would run and play - but not in the fenced yard! Poodles are too smart!

·
Registered
216 Posts
When I first bought Inca, the breeder said "what do you want to do with her?" I said that I might show, might do agility and might breed eventually. So I bought the best, showed for twelve months, didn't take to it and now we do agility. Breeding can wait (possibly for ever). If, when you buy your new dog, you buy the best you can afford, then you can sit back and do what you want. Show grooming is a lot of hard work and sort of excludes rough and tumble play, but if you set yourself a time limit, and the family can accommodate, go for it. Oh, and don't forget doggy dancing. Having just a pet can be great fun.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
When I first bought Inca, the breeder said "what do you want to do with her?" I said that I might show, might do agility and might breed eventually. So I bought the best, showed for twelve months, didn't take to it and now we do agility. Breeding can wait (possibly for ever). If, when you buy your new dog, you buy the best you can afford, then you can sit back and do what you want. Show grooming is a lot of hard work and sort of excludes rough and tumble play, but if you set yourself a time limit, and the family can accommodate, go for it. Oh, and don't forget doggy dancing. Having just a pet can be great fun.

Thanks for the advice. I do agree....if and when I get another Poodle I want a show potential so I always have the option. I would like to learn more about agility though. Eli, my black Standard loves agility. He's my buddie and I want to focus on him for awhile to get my mind off show dog stuff. It may open a door to another dog activity other then confirmation showing.

I have to admit Im bummed I don't have a coat to prep for show anymore. Eli just doesn't look that great in the continental cut. I think it enhances his faults and it drives me nuts. He looks great in the sporting clips now.

Well anyway...Im just going to consentrate on what I have at home right now. Wait until Feb or March 09 to look for a show pup.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts