Poodle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok guys i have a problem and i don't know how to stop this . I think Mika thinks he's the leader of the pack when it comes to Dante. He's fine with us or at least i think he is. he knows what No is - i think he does - he listens to me anyway but all of the sudden Dante has become an issue.

For the last few days i have noticed Mika snapping or biting at Dante when dante approaches him when hes sitting on my lap or sleeping. I say No when he does this. Seems to have an effect but he still does it. He also sort of bullies dante by biting and jumping at his face.

Now Dante is the most sweetest gentlest dog in the house and loves Mika to death. Normally they do play with each other but when Mika starts snapping at him for no reason whatsover, or biting him when dante doesnt't want to play, instead of Dante telling him off, he just walks away.

i hope i'm explaining all this right because i want to sort this behaviour out, i don't want Dante to feel like he's not wanted or is unloved or anything like that.

My god i didn't think i'd spoilt mika but looking at his behaviour of late, maybe i have! HELP ME!!!!!

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
My red flag is that your dog thinks it's okay to snap at anyone when you are around. According to what Cesar Millan says, that's dominate behavior because the dog thinks he's dominate over you. If you were pack leader, the dog wouldn't even bothering trying to claim you as his. Once you are pack leader things like this disolve for the most part. You are going to have to claim the pack and definitely not put up with this type of behavior. I highly suggest either getting one of Cesar's books, dvds, or going to his website because he's the king of dominace issues.

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
For the last few days i have noticed Mika snapping or biting at Dante when dante approaches him when hes sitting on my lap or sleeping. I say No when he does this. Seems to have an effect but he still does it. He also sort of bullies dante by biting and jumping at his face.
It sounds like he's claiming you, when you have one of them on your lap and another approaches, and the dog on your lap snaps, don't just say no, push the dog off your lap or put him on the floor. Don't grab the other dog that wanted to greet you, that could create more jealously issues.

Then ignore them until they're both calm, then give them both attention, if they snapping starts back up, ignore them again. Any attention, either negative or positive, is promoting the behavior.

btw, don't quote me on all this, I am not a professional dog trainer.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts