I don't mean just for food. She will grab the babies sock in her mouth
off a table, paper, whatever. Well last night I came in and layed $30
down on the table and began talking to hubby, a few minutes later
we hear....

RIPPPPP, RIP, RIPPPPP

Guess what? She stole my $30 and tore up the $20 into 3 diff. pieces,
the $10 however was saved. She got a spanking for that from me and
hubby, and THANK GOD the $20 was saved by some scotch tape after
all the pieces was found and not eaten or destroyed completely.

Later on that night, we had a talk with her (LOL) and forgave her with
kisses and pettings.

Crazy Story! I guess she didn't want to go to the vet seeing that's
what the money was for in the first place!

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well Mika is 4 yrs. old, but the spanking she got last night she may
not wanna touch the human's "green paper" ever again!

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
so by spanking, does that mean you physically hit the dog? forgive me if that's a dumb question, I just wasn't sure that's what you actually meant.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
so by spanking, does that mean you physically hit the dog? forgive me if that's a dumb question, I just wasn't sure that's what you actually meant.

By spanking I meant popped her on the arse with an open hand, lol.

I would never *hit* a dog, but I do believe in discipline when they've
done something wrong, nothing severe of course!

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
lol...thats actually kinda funny. Glad you were able to save the twenty though.

I dont know if you've ever tried a rolled up piece of newspaper (secure it with a rubber band). I will pop my dogs with a rolled newpaper and boy do they hate it. Between the sound and the pop on the rear, its very effective and doesnt hurt them at all. So effective that my old Amstaff Malibu would get super hyper when we came home or when people visited. Im talking jumping from couch to couch or just on a couch in general. Anyhow, all I had to do is bring out the newspaper and say calm down boo-boo, and she was on her best behavior. lol I also would lay the newspaper on the egde of the couch cushion (maybe your counter top) when I was out or not watching to make sure she wouldnt get on the couch. It worked very well.

You only have to pop them with it once or twice. After that I just used it occassionally as a reminder and it was always successful for us in training. Anyhow, hope she cuts that out soon. I dont have any counter surfer's here but believe me, they have attempted it before.

·
Registered
861 Posts
I'm glad you've found something that works for you, but I must say I regularly saw my best friend's mother smack her dogs with newspapers to get them back from the door, my entire childhood. They never learned, she just had to smack them with it everytime someone came over. :( So I'm not sure how universally-affective that is.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I just don't think I would ever hit my dog-I mean would they really understand why you are doing that? It just sounds abusive to me.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Oh MM, here goes the anti-spankers. lol I understand that your not beating your dog but a quick swat on the rear has never hurT a animal and they certainly dont like it. Next time, I'd just keep how you swatted Mika to yourself as this is going to become a huge contriversial thread.

However, this just seems ridiculoius to me. Now days people get all offended if one even spanks a child. Good god! I grew up getting the belt when I got into trouble but I never once thought my parents obused using the belt nor did they obuse me. Now its frowned apon while these days crime rates are much higher then those years ago. Maybe because parents these days dont give good discipline. Same for unruly pets in my opinion.

I hear people complain constantly about there hyper poodle/dogs and so forth. Then hear comes advise recommending clicker training, time outs, etc (not that these methods arent always effective) but they take much more time, patience and I dont have time for all that. I prefer quick straight forward discipline and its worked for me luckily.

·
Registered
207 Posts
A pop on the butt isn't going to hurt a dog. They get the message
if you do it at the appropriate time. That is not abuse.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
I just don't think I would ever hit my dog-I mean would they really understand why you are doing that? It just sounds abusive to me.
Maybe if your dog is completely stupid they wouldnt get it. Its not like you swat them after the fact when they already done the deed and moved on.

And it sounds abusive?? Seems to me there are much more serious REAL abuse situations going on in this world then a person swatting there dog on the rear end.

Im sorry if I came of strong about your comment and your more then entitled to your opinion......some people just make me wonder.

·
Registered
207 Posts
You are so right Secreto. Dogs know what they are getting spanked for if you catch them in the act. Just like kids.

Don't call a pop on the rear end abuse.

Leaving a dog in a hot car is abuse. Tying up a dog is abuse. BEATING a dog is abuse. Starving, no water, etc.....

Don't get me started.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Actually I raised 5 sons and I used a flyswatter and even a belt on occasion (when they were older). When I read the message about spanking her dog, I noted a few words such as 'stole the money' (does a dog know what stealing is?), 'talked with her later'-how does the dog know what the heck they are talking to her about later? And 'got a spank from me and hubby'-the dog didn't need 2 people to hit on her-I'm sorry but I used to see my ex hit our dogs and it made me furious-then later he started hitting me!

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Like Jenn, I use a newspaper. It doesnt hurt them, only hurts their pride.

Im known for the little spanking from time to time if newspaper isnt available, but mostly just growl at the dogs and they know when they have done something wrong.

Banks accept sticky tape on the notes when they have been ripped like this as long as all the pieces are there. Glad you could save them.

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
i'm so sorry to hear that Mandi...I was married to a man who beat me both physically and mentally and it does tend to jade your view of things like that. I don't 'beat' my spoos but if i catch them doing something really bad, i pop them on the butt and tell them 'no' or 'leave it' or whatever is appropriate. Having been abused, it can be difficult to separate a well placed pop from the traumatic feelings left from beatings.

I understand the controversy of spanking. I raised six children and nearly all of them got a handle on the 'turn your parents in if they do this or that' by middle school. Two of them did just that and were taken out of my home. Three left by age 15. I was not allowed to raise my voice, touch them physically to prevent them from running away from home, or do anything effective to keep them from making a big mistake. I was told by the court, police, and state police that if I even put my arms around them at the age of 12 to keep them from leaving home, I would be locked up in jail. They were allowed to make their own decisions!!!!!!

I was shocked, even horrified at this. This is why our children are completely out of control. Parents are not allowed by law to do anything to discipline their children...the children know it and make sure they educate any new ones who don't. And, they are very quick to throw it up in your face to keep YOU in line so they can do whatever they want.

But, I was also told after they took all of my parenting tools away from me, if any of them got into trouble, I would be brought into court and held responsible for them both as a parent and financially. So, what is wrong with this picture?!

My parents spanked us when we deserved it and we were very thoughtful about doing anything that was inappropriate in our behavior. I never thought of myself as being abused but as being disciplined for intentional bad behavior. I grew able to know the difference between what is acceptable and what is not and it has served me very well.

My story has a good ending...all of my children, by the time they were in their early 20's, called me to tell me what a huge mistake they had made, that the world was a big and scary place and they now understood what it was that i was trying to do to help them. Every one of them apologized for what they put me through during those years of separation. All is forgiven and we have moved on. Now they are dealing with their own children.

May God help us all.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Yes-I empathize with you also-I taught for 20 years and know that children have gotten out of control because of the turns on 'spanking'. My 2nd family is now my dogs and I just love them so much. They give me laughter, forgiveness, and much affection. My sons have turned out so well and made me proud-but they have their own families now.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Growl at the dog? LOL. I hadn't thought of that but considering how well the squealing is working when she puts her teeth on is (I was told it would mimic the sound they make to eachother when play fighting gets too rough) I would imagine that would be really effective! Though my pup has never growled, I may wait and see on that b/c *I* don't want to teach it to her!

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
My spoos are also my second family....I told my husband that it has been so hard after having so many children to have no one in the house to have to fuss over. He understood my loneliness and was really good about me bringing home two spoos to raise with our golden. He always smiles and laughs when he watches me interact with them...they have given me a sense of motherhood again. I love my time with them and they love theirs with me.

My children are mostly around the states now and we don't get to see each other often but they stay in touch and I get to see each families' children once a year anyway. I'm proud of how they all turned out.

You had a tough profession. I admire you for doing it. Two of my sister-in-laws are teachers. One retired early because she couldn't deal with the kids anymore. The other can't wait to get out for that and the impossible parents. It is really sad and a bit frightening. Assuming you might be retired? If you are, hoping your enjoying it.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts