Poodle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my mom asked me a few days ago if i wanted to come live with her....she is in Charelston, SC and im in Puyallup, WA.....thats about 3000 miles away lol.
So my question is...have any of you flown with your dog in the cargo? Im not talking about the toys that can go under your seat im talking about the Standards. Im sure Mister could handle it but its 6 hours in loud, dark and COLD....but i cant help but worry about him.
Oh and any airlines you recommend?

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Sorry cannot offer any help on the flights or airlines, but I LOVE and HATE Charleston SC! LOL. great historic, shopping, and nasty traffic and less disirable areas:scared: We have about 30 stores there so I am there almost every week. Battery park is great for walking dogs!

·
Registered
681 Posts
I have flown my dog twice across the Pacific. If you will be flying at the same time as your dog, I recommend United. That's who we flew with, and they were awesome. Midge was the last thing onto the plane and the first thing off. She was waiting for us faster than our luggage. United, on its bigger planes, has climate controlled cargo for pets. She did awesome both times, and on a shorter flight (less than an hour), she also did very well.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Mighite has flown about 3 or 4 round trips from mt to wa, he handles it very nicely. The seattle airport is pretty good about taking good care of them, but i love the billings airport, they dont like to carry him in his crate to put on the luggage carts, so they carry his kennel and i go back with them and have him load up there, it is nice to see him back. he has never seemed worse for the ware after the flights, and Mister seems like a pretty easy going guy. How many stops would you have to make on the flight, i think the layovers would be my only worry, i don't think they will let you check him even if there is time but i could be wrong.... something to look into. Good luck, btw!

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh my gosh yes ill ahve to get used to the humidity and hot, i think it'd be better if it was just hot and not humid but oh well ill sweat off some weight lol.

I just really want a change in my life and although i have a bunch of ties here, its not like ill leave forever and i will come back to visit. Im just seeing a bunch of different opportunities over there that i dont have here. And i might as well travel while im young. I need to stop worrying about the details i suppose it will all work out in the end. if its meant to happen then everything should go off with out a hitch. My horse will cost about $1500 to transport over there! Im glad i have a very understanding momma :)

There is usually one layover in Atlanta, GA since we cant fly straight into the Charleston airport for some reason....and then i think the flight is right around an hour. Im sure he will be fine with the whole thing and just go to sleep. On car rides longer than like 5 miles he just curls up and falls asleep. I do need to work on kenneling him for extended periods of time again. He is great but when left alone at work for instance he will whine. I want it to be an comfy as possible for him. I bet ill get a lot of "is he a show dog" ha ha ha.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Could you get someone to drive to Atlanta to pick you up?

Why don't you just hitch your horse up to a covered wagon and let Mister ride shotgun? :D

·
Registered
258 Posts
Why don't you just hitch your horse up to a covered wagon and let Mister ride shotgun? :D
LOL that is WONDERFUL!!! i have two more if you need more horse power hehe, completely understand about needing a change!

Who are you shipping your horse with, 1500 is not bad for cross country, i think i paid abt 600 port orchard to billings

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
I'm thinkin' she could probably get a deal for one of those reality TV shows to finance the trip.

If it was on TLC, it would have to have one of those catchy titles like "The Poodle Who Travelled Cross-Country in a Covered Wagon".

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ha Ha Marian you crack me up!!! Mister would be such a ham and enjoy all the cameras and riding shotgun of course! He already rides shotgun in my truck every day!
And the horse will go straight to SC not to GA at all....the layover is just in GA on the way to SC lol. My mom could come get me but it would be a pain so ill just fly the extra hour or so.
I havent told anyone really that im considering this but i just want a change so bad, i want to know what its like to live in another state and a state all the way across the country too lol.
I have been contacted by about 10 different transport companies and the average cost is $1500...They also have the oprion of having her in a box stall while travelling so she isnt tied up the whole time. I think i like that idea best. That way she can move around and drink and eat more freely. All of them stop every 3 hours to check on the horses and then camp over night and unload the horses for at least 8 hours each night so they can stretch their legs. I am worried about her losing weight and also colicing from stress. She is young and healthy so im sure she'll be fine, im just a very worried mama when it comes to my 1000 pound baby lol.
Also my 15 year old girl Osita might not come. It breaks my heart to consider that but she would not like a plan ride and im not sure she can fit up in the cabin...i also have little Gracie who would definately fit but then i cant have two carry ons....ugh these are just some kinks i have to work out.
Im sure my sister or my dad would watch over Osita till she goes over the bridge but i want to be there for her too. She's still a very healthy old girl, only thing is she takes thyroid pills twice a day and has a special diet from getting pancreatitis a few years back. She just cant handle table scraps or high fat foods.
I dont like leaving them when i go on vacay so it'll be really hard to leave them for good. I really wasnt happy with the way my sister took care of my dogs last time so maybe she would be better off with my dad. He would never admit it but i know he will lonely when i leave and when my pooches leave too.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
In 1987, I was having the same feelings and thoughts as you. I was living in Louisiana (where I was born) and was dying to try something new. My sis and BIL were up in Boston, where he was going to school, so I went up there on vacation and then decided to move there. It's always easier if you move to someplace where you already know someone.

The day I left, my Dad actually cried. Not like sobbing or anything, but just teary-eyed and sniffling a little. It was so touching and it made me feel sad, but I knew I was doing the right thing for myself.

So I spent about 15 years in Boston and then moved down to NJ, and I have never once regretted any part of it. Sometimes I wish I hadn't waited so long though, but that's the only thing.

Don't be afraid to take your time preparing. It's a big move and will be a big change for you. I would even consider staying put until poor old Osita crosses the bridge. I think about 6-8 months passed between the time I made up my mind I was moving to Boston and when I actually did it. There is absolutely no reason to rush it.

Good luck with however you decide to do it.

PS About someone picking you up in ATL, I meant because of the possible issues with changing planes, etc. I didn't really think the horse was flying too! LOL :)

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
I am happy for you! What a nice opportunity. Too many people are afraid to spread their wings a bit. I think you will like it very much:) And it is humid but hey the ocean and islands are straight ahead lol!

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Im not really scared t move just really excited. Aside from all the animal issues it should be just fine, im a worry wart tho lol. I always moved around a lot as a kid so im used to it and actually embrace change. I love SC when i visited and im sure ill aclimate in no time.
So how long have you lived there Olie?

Thanks for the great advise Marian! I was thinking of giving myself at least 6 months or more before actually making the move. I want to drop some pounds and get tan before going ha ha! My mom is an amazing person and im so greatful that she is giving me this opprotunity. I got that bug to travel from her for sure. Im sure my pops, sister and brother will miss me but in reality they all have significant others. Im single (well mostly) and i want a change darn it lol. My momma is also single so it'll be awesome!

I think ill see how Osita is doing after those 6 months health wise and see if she can maybe make the trip but i doubt she can. She has less patience for travelling and fidgets more than she ever used to. She is jsut an old gal and her hearing is gone but she seems to not want to relax when we leave the house, like she is unsure of her surroundings. A 6 hour flight would be too much for her i think. Im pretty sure my dad would want Gracie to stay with him. She really loves him and he loves her so much too, even tho he tries to hide it lol. Every single night she hops on his lazy boy with him and leans on the arm rest while he pets her from head to toe....she loves it and so does he!

I definately wont rush things especially when it comes to moving Felis (the horse lol). I was thinking id fly with the Pood and get things all settled before sending for Felis...maybe about a month later. Then i can get familiar with the area and find a place to board her or my mom was considering buying a house with property since they are pretty cheap over there. It's always been my dream to have Felis at my house :)

Oh so much to consider! I also have some amazing friends here but its not like i wont come back and visit ya know!? I will meet new people and make new amazing friends. Its nice to hear that you made a big move like this (marian) and it was a very good decision for you. My mom also did it too and she loves it down there.

Im thinking ill get the ball rolling and talk with my momms some more and get things figured out. Im kind of nervous to tell my dad and sister and brother. But its a better place for me imo. My mom works for Boeing down there (a manager or something), she can gurantee me a job and id be making A LOT more money than i am now and i would be able to pay off my cc and my sisters care credit. I would be going to school while working so it would all be a worthwhile experience.

·
Registered
184 Posts
My son and his wife and kids live just outside Charleston in Summerville. He's of course Canadian and she's from West Virginia. They like the area and when it gets too hot in the summer they stay indoors or go to the beach. The Atlantic breezes always make it seem pleasant. The one who will have the hardest time with the climate is your horse I'm thinkin'! That summer humidity is really something to get used to but the rest of the year is nice. Also there is a hurricane season to contend with in the fall! All the best, and if you ever want to hang with a bunch of teachers I can "hook you up" in Summerville!!:)

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
So how long have you lived there Olie?
I have been in SC fro 12 years and traveling to Char. with my job for almost 10 years. We will even head there for a long getaway weekend and head to the battery or the shopping! They have amazing places to eat. A lot of local fresh seafood. And then you have lovely Myrtle Beach just 90 minutes away!!

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
We have taken two dogs on a flight.
Not 6 hours but 3 hours

But when they landed they where taken into a car driving for 1 hour then into another flight for 45 min and then 20 minutes drive and then 15 min boat trip
Oh and then 4 week quarantine.

One was 5 months old when she took this trip the other was 16 month old.
They both did great and are happy dogs today.

So I think your dogs will manage a 6 hour flight.

Just remember they fly dogs to Australia ;)

And don't give it any drugs.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ha ha yeah Felis (the horse) will have a tough time getting used to the weather especially when i ride her in it lol. She's been a washington baby her whole life!
I was also reading about not giving the dog any drugs for the flight, hadnt even crossed my mind to actually. Its nice that they put that there. Mister will be fine i guess. I just hate to be away from him. I was looking mostly at United and american airlines....both seem to deal with pets a lot. The only thing is i either have to do it in the next month or two or wait till after the hot summer months. They dont like to fly dogs when the ground temp is higher than 85 degrees.
Oha nd im so looking forward to the beaches as im sure Mister will love them too!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts