Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a spoos that are mid to high level? What are the early signs of it and or later signs?

Has this ever been an issue with small pets?

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
I wish I knew definitive answer :rolffleyes:. I guess that spoos that come from working lines have more of that drive since they are bred for that purpose in mind - to retrieve birds.

I know that my first spoo did not chase anything but pigeons in the park LOL, but I lived in a big city and no small pets at home.

I know of a breeder who will not trust her spoos with cats LOL

I think it is individual and that if puppy grew up with other animals in the household it would not show that drive at all !(At least not toward pets in its own household lol ).

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Olie is still young and he does great with my Poms. Typical playing around.

We have ducks out in the lake behind our house and he actually runs towards the house if they come close. But he does this thing I hope I can explain it. He will walk reeeaallllyy slow towards the dogs sometimes (almost tip toeing)and pounce but it's always playful, NO signs of aggression but that made me curious on other peoples experience. It's so cute when he does it but now I am wondering if I should not allow it......?

Either way I still would like to hear more on this:)

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Oh he is soooo CUTE lol !!! Actually my spoo played that way with me :)! But, I played "seek and hide" with him at home LOL !!! I thought he was extremely smart to try to sneak that way on me :)

I do not think your pup should be corrected : ))) - it is just his way of playing
: ))) . But that is only my personal experience and I also hope some other members will "jump in" soon : ) !!!

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh he is soooo CUTE lol !!! Actually my spoo played that way with me :)! But, I played "seek and hide" with him at home LOL !!! I thought he was extremely smart to try to sneak that way on me :)

I do not think your pup should be corrected : ))) - it is just his way of playing
: ))) . But that is only my personal experience and I also hope some other members will "jump in" soon : ) !!!
It seems harmless to me so i'm glad to hear that!! Also he will hide behind chairs if gets a washcloth or sock its the cutest thing! So now we are using that as a way to get him to come and bring it, and then treat. It is so cute. I am forever saying aawww, all the time.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
I know LOL :) ! I think that spoos are really unique in the way they think and behave and move <3 <3 <3 !!! I would like to say that they are almost "human" but than again, it would be an insult LOL since so many humans are actually stupid and malicious : ((( !!!

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Desmond has like zero prey drive. He has once shown interest in a rabbit, but he just wanted to watch it, and every time it moved he would follow it and then stand and stare at it LOL. He chases leaves when the wind blows though! He goes NUTS trying to get at 'em. Otherwise he loves small critters. He chases them but only so he can get close enough to play with/lick them. :)

Also Olie... that's just adorable lol. I wish I could see that! <3

·
Premium Member
2,956 Posts
He will walk reeeaallllyy slow towards the dogs sometimes (almost tip toeing)
Both Meau and Lucy do this stalking behavior - usually with each other... We have cats in the house and they don't do it with the cats - Lucy is very interested in the cats, but because they don't run (or otherwise act like "prey") she just likes to smell and lick them.

When the girls are out in the backyard, they will do the reeeeaalllyy slow walk as if they are stalking each other from time to time - it always ends up with a play session! :)

I'd say both our poodles would be considered low to mid level prey drive. Just the way we like 'em! :)

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
My Standard is great with the cats when they are in the yard but will bark at them when they are on the other side of the fence. :rolffleyes: She does not chase birds or small furies.

I would say she has a low pray drive.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Paris has a HIGH prey drive, but she's always had it when I first saw her as a 12 month old, so can't say what the signs of it early on are!!

Basically, if it runs, CHASE IT. Doesn't matter if it's race horses being exercised on the beach (according to her old owner!) other dogs, cats, whatever. If it's moving away, fast, she gets really really nutty and tense, desperate to run after it.

She has a real problem if a dog is playing fetch for a ball or whatever, Paris will literally start YELLING at them (barking, but really dominating, loud, and in their face) and nipping their heels etc to try and make them run again (regardless of the fact the dog isn't running simply cos it's patiently waiting for it's owner to throw the ball again) she will get really really demanding once she's singled out the dog that is fetching the ball, and when it runs for the ball again she's RIGHT ontop of them harrassing them, yipping and really excited and massively driven by the whole running-after-something thing. She's not interested in chasing the ball or whatever, only the dog that's trying to fetch it! It's worse too , BECAUSE she's running after them, they try run faster thinking she's going for the ball too, but she'll be just as harrassing as they're bringing the ball back, and then will continue harrassing and really getting ontop of them as they wait for it to be thrown again.

She has to be kept away from my rat cage. She is pretty good and will just watch them, but if she decides they're being boring she'll actually try to nip at them through the cage to make 'em do something. I dunno if she'd do more, cos she's not allowed to even look at them now. lol.

She will non-stop obsess about the bunny in the hutch at mums. Standing over it, circling it, poking the cage, circling, occasional yips, bouncing, circling, panting, running, circling, watching.... she will *literally* spend many many hours obsessing about the bunny if I don't call her off it to come inside and settle. She would probably wear herself ragged if allowed to! She finds it very hard to settle and leave it alone cos my mum has let her do it when I'm not there... whereas at a friends house where I've made it clear their bunny is off limits at all times, without exception, so she's actually fine to leave it alone.

She is fine with our cats and small dog, she's fine with dogs at work, day in and day out, she's fine with any other cat if it just wants to say hi too. But if it runs she'll be on it's tail yipping and yapping and screeching with excitment of the chase. In lack of anything alive, she will go nuts to chase a ball or stick or something thrown, but it's nothing at all compared with a live animal to chase PROPERLY.

I do love her though, honest ;) And I don't know if she'd hurt anything if she 'caught' it (ie a cat or something), she'd be more likely to continue circling it to try encourage it to bolt again so she could chase it... It's the CHASE she wants, not anything else (she's currently curled up with the cats, so no desire to hrt lil furries THERE!)

·
Registered
875 Posts
mine are all pretty lame in the prey drive department, which is good since we have cats. Bobby and Madeline are nutty about anything that moves though- and would probally kill a cat or other dog if given a chance (which is why they are both spayed and neutered and soon will be moving to a nice home where they can be themselves. )

·
Registered
52 Posts
Ray-Ray likes to tease the ferret (Leviathan). Obviously, he can't chase but he can follow a scent really well and when he finds Levi, they tumble and play. Sometimes, he dosn't have to 'look' very far before she ends up pouncing HIM, instead.

That's about it really. He will sniff for, find and than bark at the Cat, but the Cat never takes him seriously anyway. He gets no respect.:eek:hwell:

I'm not sure any of that really is prey-drive.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
One of the ways to test for prey drive in puppies is to take a white dish towel and drag it along. Puppies with high prey drive will typically chase it and stick to chasing it long after puppies with less drive have given up

As far as bird drive, you can see this even in young puppies. With my 1st litter, I had someone bring over some frozen pigeons. There were clearly puppies who said, "Oh heck no!" and ones that grabbed the bird and ran around with it.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Mine all have a very strong Prey drive except for Art He could care less But that is a breeding thing I think. He is not the brightest bulb in the lamp, but we love him... The rest of them have figured out how to tag team the rabbits and catch them. Not pretty but it is life. My line will all have a strong prey drive and would make excellent hunting dogs. Very athletic. This is what I strive for .

·
Registered
210 Posts
I think both my toy and standard have prey drives. We have TONS of rabbits..who could resist chasing a fluffy bounsy critter. Now I don't think either of them would know what to do with it if they caught one...

·
Registered
109 Posts
Ginger has a pretty strong prey drive, the squirrels in the back yard drive her nuts. We have power lines back there and it is a squirrel highway lol. Also she and my daughters dachund Dolce stalk the cat. They set them selves up and stare at him until he runs. then one will chase him into the others path. They never hurt the cat and he is not afraid its kind of a game they play. But I have seen that still quiet stalking walk with my girl and with my friends poodles. They really are different than other dogs. When a poodle looks at you, you know the wheeles are turning.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Brandon is a mini poo not spoo but I'll chime in anyways.

If its a bird...he lives to chase it down. Crows/magpie things at the barn, pigeons in the backyard, ground owls, etc. He has taken off after a rabbit at the barn and as well as a squirrel or two on hikes. He has a very reliable off leash recall, but its sorely tested when its a bird related thing. I don't know what he would do if he actually caught one.

He is fine with my cats but I instilled early on that they were not to be bothered. Neither of my dogs are allowed to even initiate friendly contact with my cats. I figure even if the cats would tolerate it, my dogs do not need to interact with my cats so they know thats a big "LEAVE IT".

Brandon also has a huge retrieve drive. That dog will retrieve till he drops. Labradors don't have anything on him. lol. He will retrieve anything...balls, rope toys, tugs, stuffed toys, my car keys, barbies, anything you want him too. Its very helpful around the house. If I want something on the floor I just tell him to get it and he'll start picking up objects and looking at me like saying "this one?" when he has the right one in his mouth I just have to say "YES!" all excited and he trots on over with it.

Ronda

·
Registered
562 Posts
I bring Mister to my barn and there are always barn cats and bunnies around especially in the summer. He really really really wants to chase them (wouldnt hurt them just likes the chase) but i DO NOT let him.
He knows what leave it means and if he is being particularly dumb i put him back in the truck.
Poodles are hunting dogs and therefore do have a prey drive just like any dog i suppose. However i sort of kill that desire they have to chase. i do not encourage it and when he does he is punished.
I used to have a dog when i was a kid and he killed multiple family cats and neighbor cats and i vowed my dogs would never be that way.
I will have a farm one day and Mister will still be around and he will need to know how to act around the chickens//ducks, cats, goats, horses, cows, etc.

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I bring Mister to my barn and there are always barn cats and bunnies around especially in the summer. He really really really wants to chase them (wouldnt hurt them just likes the chase) but i DO NOT let him.
He knows what leave it means and if he is being particularly dumb i put him back in the truck.
Poodles are hunting dogs and therefore do have a prey drive just like any dog i suppose. However i sort of kill that desire they have to chase. i do not encourage it and when he does he is punished.
I used to have a dog when i was a kid and he killed multiple family cats and neighbor cats and i vowed my dogs would never be that way.
I will have a farm one day and Mister will still be around and he will need to know how to act around the chickens//ducks, cats, goats, horses, cows, etc.
Yeah that would be tough to handle.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Yeah i just want all of my animals to be able to coexist in peace lol....Mister loves his kitty too and wont chase it. CLO (the fat old cat) will most definately put him in his place if he gets out of line. He has gotten hit int he nose with a paw full of nails once or twice lol.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts