Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did you microchip your poodle? At what age?
I haven’t seen this talked about a lot in the forums and was curious if there were any cons to having it done right away.

·
Registered
8,202 Posts
Yes! Maizie came to me microchipped, which was very nice of her breeder. I had Frosty done when he was about 6 mos. old. I would definitely recommend getting it done ASAP.

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
Microchipping is mandatory in Australia, and is usually done by the breeder at 8 weeks. I’ve never heard of anyone who has had any issues with it.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Both my dogs came to me microchipped from the breeder. One is almost 11 and the other is 5 1/2. I have the chips checked frequently to make sure they are still reading and have not migrated and they are fine.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
My spoo also came microchipped from the breeder. All I had to do was contact them and get the owner changed to me:)

If you plan to travel internationally you might want to take what they require into consideration when choosing the chip provider.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have all my pets microchipped when I get them. Riley was microchipped at 5 years, Avery at 1 year, and Maggie (cat) at 5 years. I've also had puppies done as young as 8 weeks. None of my pets have had any issues.

·
Premium Member
15,810 Posts
I too had my Molly microchipped when I got her! Microchipping assures me that if somehow we are separated, she will be returned to me. You'd be surprised at how many 'stolen' dogs are returned to their rightful owner after being taken to a Vet and the info on the patient intake form is not the same (ie; name of dog, address and owner name!) or your dog is picked up as a stray and AC scanned them for a chip! Just an extra layer of protection for your loved companion in my opinion!!

Reactions: Charlie's Person

·
Registered
6,731 Posts
Microshipping is mandatory when registered with the Canadian Kennel Club. My last dogs have all been microchipped from early age.

·
Premium Member
22,982 Posts
Eclipse made an important point about getting the chips checked regularly. Lily's has migrated to the lateral aspect of her right humerus, quite a distance on a spoo.

Lily got microchipped when she was spayed. Peeves got his at a regular vet visit when he was about a year old and Javelin got his on his first visit to our vet.

Reactions: Eclipse

·
Premium Member
9,622 Posts
Double, triple check that the owner information is absolutely correct and up to date. My son spent a lot of time investigating the proper owner of a cat, name misspelled, phone number incorrect or no longer working. Buck was chipped as a puppy with no problem.

·
Premium Member
22,982 Posts
Related to Mfmst's comment, my vet says they often are brought lost animals that are microchipped but there is no registration information for the chip number. The chip only has a number, not any personal information.

Reactions: kontiki and Eclipse

·
Registered
12,362 Posts
Both dogs were microchipped as puppies and the cats as kittens - since 2016 it has been mandatory for dogs in the UK, but it has always seemed to me to be a simple and safe precaution. I would always get it done by a vet though, just in case.

·
Registered
248 Posts
My puppy will be chipped during her spay in Feb. my breeder didn’t chip before we got her and the vet said to do it when We spayed

·
Registered
420 Posts
Did you microchip your poodle? At what age?
I haven’t seen this talked about a lot in the forums and was curious if there were any cons to having it done right away.
Hi, Charlie was microchipped by the breeder. Never any issues with the dog. But here is a cautionary tale for all: I have a great vet, and on the first visit she scanned and verified that the dog,s chip I.d. was readable and matched the number on the documents I brought. Shortly thereafter I received a call from the microchip agency. They were verifying that my name, address etc matched my dog. It did NOT. Apparently my contact info and that of another owner had been switched with that of another pup from the same litter! Now, I am not going to make accusations that I can't prove, but somehow the information the microchip agency was given at time of registration was wrong. Thanks to my vet I had the verified id number of the chip in my dog,s neck skin, and was able to ensure that I would be the one contacted should he ever get lost. WARNING! Get your vet to verify the microchip number. Call the contact number on your dog,s tag, have your pedigree info, etc on hand and make sure everything matches! If you move, make a call right away to update all contact info, and add a couple of trusted people to the list as alternative contacts too.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

·
Registered
420 Posts
I too had my Molly microchipped when I got her! Microchipping assures me that if somehow we are separated, she will be returned to me. You'd be surprised at how many 'stolen' dogs are returned to their rightful owner after being taken to a Vet and the info on the patient intake form is not the same (ie; name of dog, address and owner name!) or your dog is picked up as a stray and AC scanned them for a chip! Just an extra layer of protection for your loved companion in my opinion!!
Excellent points. My wonderful vet told me that they always check animals that are brought in the first time to ensure the chip is functional AND the dog is in the possession of the rightful owner

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

·
Registered
477 Posts
Microchipping is a great thing to do. I personally do it asap for my dogs. My cavalier (purchased as a puppy from an AKC judge/breeder) came to me already microchipped which I think is a good practice for a breeder. My vet checks microchips at yearly check ups and when requested. At Mia's third or fourth year check up the microchip could not be found any where. I had her rechipped. A couple years after that, same thing. No microchip could be found. The vet offered three possibilities: the microchips had either migrated into non scan-able areas (behind a bone perhaps), come out of her body, or stopped working.

I remain undeterred and still microchip my dogs, but thought I would share my story so others will know it is not always smooth sailing. Check those chips and keep a collar and current tags on your dog.

On another topic, when Mia was spayed her vet tattood her (a small circle with a line through it on inside thigh) to indicate a spayed bitch. This is the practice in my area. I was consulted beforehand, and agreed to it mainly to support my community's efforts at marking spayed animals. I kept photos of her tattoo as an identifying mark.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts