Poodle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently introduced myself and have been casually looking for a puppy. Since I am in Colorado, I looked on Carol Brand's page and saw she had a friend with puppies. Calling that friend, Mary Lumpkin, who lives in Nebraska I found out she just happened to be visiting nearby with all her dogs!

My husband, 3-year-old and I drove over later that day and met Mary and her dogs. The puppies were everything I thought we wanted. Mellow, good with my daughter, and absolutely gorgeous. Mary mentioned she wanted to show one but then had to have arm surgery. Anyway, they were both perfect little black puppies, girls, on the smaller side, with AKC Champion parents.

Husband and I started talking about grooming, and I think I knew poodles had high needs but didn't really comprehend what that would entail. The result being we decided to wait and give this some more thought. It absolutely kills me to leave those beautiful puppies behind! So I'm writing as a public service to anyone who might be looking. :angel2: You can find the info for Mary on Carol Brand's website, Beauvoir Poodles.

·
Registered
6,882 Posts
Very wise of you to be certain you are ready for the work of a dog, especially when you have a 3 yo baby.

I mentioned in my other post to you - people see the number of hours it takes to groom a poodle and they are shocked. However they forget that they probably spend more than three hours in a month cleaning dog fur off the floors, the furniture and their clothes. The difference is a few minutes here and a few minute there and maybe 10 minutes etc...... it all adds up.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
The puppies are definitely cute, but good job using restraint and knowing that it isn't the best time for your family right now. I am sure in the future you will find the right time to add a poodle to your family. They are wonderful dogs :)

·
Registered
354 Posts
Poodle grooming can be as simple or involved as you want to make it. I would not let grooming fears keep you from getting a dog that you think is otherwise a great match. There is no rule that the dog has to be kept in any kind of fancy cut if you don't have/want to spend a lot of time maintaining coat. You can keep it in a simple short puppy cut with a tightly trimmed tail and topknot and shorter ears and the grooming work is minimal in-between visits to the groomer (assuming you don't plan to do your own grooming). Some brushing of topknot, tail and ears and a quick once over the body every now and then.

·
Super Moderator
2,765 Posts
To help with your decision, find out how much local groomers would charge for a monthly groom for an adult Standard Poodle, and watch them work on one if possible, or find one on YouTube. This would be a bath, face, feet, and sanitary area trim, pull out hairs in the ears, clip the toenails, and even out the trim on the rest of the body and do the topknot like you'd prefer.

Also poodles go thru a coat change as they get older and depending on the coat, can mat up quickly. A short clip is easier to maintain when this happens and in general. Google images for the Miami cut and the Puppy clip for ideas.

·
Registered
354 Posts
And even if you wanted something a little fancy, you can do a simple cut like bracelets on the legs which is minimal extra work. I do my own grooming, but keep mine in this cut in the summer because they get wet a lot playing in the sprinklers or wading in the water at the beach and I don't want to be brushing full legs out all the time...I like full ears and don't mind brushing them, but you could clip ears short, tassel them, etc.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
We recently lost our standard poodle. I appreciate that it's hard to walk away from a cute puppy. I decided not to get a 7-month-old rescue puppy but it was hard to walk away because there was such a hole in my heart. I had some regrets, but I am committed to finding that poodle that is right for our family. I agree that you should check around in your area because you will find some variations in grooming prices. Ask around though. You want a place you feel comfortable with. Our standard was my first dog and I took her to a place close to our house when she was a puppy. Sophie had repeated ear problems and our vet pointed out that her ears weren't properly groomed and extra hair loose hair from her grooming sessions was in her ears. We switched groomers and it made all the difference. Sophie went to the same groomer for her remaining 11 years. Poodles and any dog with floppy ears need to have their ears carefully cleaned and may still end up with the occasional ear issue, but your groomer also helps keep your dog healthy. Our new groomer was a little more expensive, but we spend hundreds of dollars getting Sophie's ears back on track after those initial bad grooming experiences. Feeling good and confident about who is caring for your dog is also very important. We didn't show Sophie. She had a simple cut. We generally expected to spend about $85 per grooming session.

With a three-year-old, it's a big decision. Good luck.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm sorry for your loss SarahM.

Yes, I believe my husband would like to wait until she hits college. ;-) But truly, 4 or 5 might make the whole idea more sensible.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My husband was also initially reluctant. After Sophie passed away our college-age daughter and our son who will be a senior in high school each made a point of telling their dad, "You know Mom's going to need another poodle, right?" They were looking out for me. ;-) All my best to your family.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I recently introduced myself and have been casually looking for a puppy. Since I am in Colorado, I looked on Carol Brand's page and saw she had a friend with puppies. Calling that friend, Mary Lumpkin, who lives in Nebraska I found out she just happened to be visiting nearby with all her dogs!

My husband, 3-year-old and I drove over later that day and met Mary and her dogs. The puppies were everything I thought we wanted. Mellow, good with my daughter, and absolutely gorgeous. Mary mentioned she wanted to show one but then had to have arm surgery. Anyway, they were both perfect little black puppies, girls, on the smaller side, with AKC Champion parents.

Husband and I started talking about grooming, and I think I knew poodles had high needs but didn't really comprehend what that would entail. The result being we decided to wait and give this some more thought. It absolutely kills me to leave those beautiful puppies behind! So I'm writing as a public service to anyone who might be looking. :angel2: You can find the info for Mary on Carol Brand's website, Beauvoir Poodles.

Realize this is an old post --- Looking to adopt and I was referred to mary years ago -- I was hoping to track down current contact info for her in the interest of starting a conversation - potentially adopting a pup from her....

Thank you

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Realize this is an old post --- Looking to adopt and I was referred to mary years ago -- I was hoping to track down current contact info for her in the interest of starting a conversation - potentially adopting a pup from her....

Thank you
Did you reach out to Carol at Beauvoir?

Or you could try contacting Mary through Facebook;

That's the extent of my googling abilities. :) Good luck!

·
Registered
3 Posts
thank you -- I "friended" Mary - waiting for a reply but she doesn't know me so I have low expectations.

I pulled up Carol's web site-- thanks for the lead.

Alise

1 - 14 of 14 Posts