Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you are aware, I really didnt think my dad should have a dog. He has only had it for 2 weeks or so, but it's going better than I expected. Water bowls were pretty clean, he is keeping it tied up and teaching it to come when whistled. Its amazingly low energy compared to Annie.

I visited for three days during the day to borrow internet during Annie's spay, and she is a cute little thing :) Annie lying down is taller than the corgi standing. The corgi follows me around like a shadow, eyes on me like I couldn't pay Annie to do if I tried lol, and apparently the corgi refused to eat this morning until I arrived. Oops.

I worked with her and dad, and she now knows come and sit and down (somewhat).

I think she is a BYB dog. She doesn't know come, her original name, or sit. She likes her kennel. She is apparently terrified of traffic/being in town. She doesnt really know how to play with Annie and my sister is now having a hard time getting vet papers from the 'breeder'. She is a long coated corgi, and covered in mats on her stomach, behind her ears, and behind her legs. I snipped some out from behind her ears and scooped out some of her belly (hair to the ground and she goes in the river every day) with my bravura, but from what I could see she has never even had a brush run through her, it terrified her and she fought like crazy until Dad held her. Her butt is also matted, and I wish I could have shaved her ears, she is matted to the skin, but I just snipped it out half an inch away with my fingers as guards as she panicked if i brought the clippers near her ears.

I think she is as afraid of the comb as much as the clippers. I did work with her for a few minutes with keeping the clippers running and giving her treats and running it over her back, and I fed her treats while dad combed her gently. Wish I had more time to ease her into it, but who knows when I will be back and I'd didn't want it getting any worse.

I am going to get him a mat remover tool and a greyhound comb, and he practiced brushing her a bit with mine to get her used to it.

I still dont think he should have a dog, but it probably has a better life than it did before he got it!

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Glad to hear it's going better than expected, and they both are so lucky to have you to support their relationship. As Raindrops said, she does look a bit unlikely for a pure cardigan, but whatever her background, it sounds like she's a good match for your dad. Wishing them continued success!

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
She is very cute! She may have a little something else in her... but it doesn't really matter. She seems very sweet! I hope you can help your dad get on board with brushing. Shaving down a double coated dog like a corgi isn't a great option as it can damage the hair. Of course if the mats are really bad there isn't always any other option.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, possible she has something mixed, or could just be bad breeding like some of the weird looking poodles you see. She is allegedly CKC registered (but no sign of papers for that either). I was trying to snoop and figure out what kennel she came from to find out more about her background, but in the general geographic area she came from it looks like there are more than half a dozen breeders breeding "fluffies" which is apparently a major fault in corgis.
Doesnt matter either way if she is purebred, but I know dad will be mad if they cant get vet records and he has to redo puppy vaccines AND spay her :)

Annie is recovering well from her spay this morning. Ate most of a scrambled egg and a bit of oatmeal, and is now standing trying to look for squirrels (kinda cross eyed and weaving on her feet from the drugs), so I am going to close the blinds.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
I am so happy that it has turned out better than what you expected, and I'm so happy to hear that your Dad is doing a better job and learning!! I hope your Dad continues to take care of her. She is so cute😍 Can I call her Fluff Nugget?

·
Premium Member
9,748 Posts
I’m hoping for the best. A few brushing reminder calls, might help him find a brushing schedule. She’s cute, and I hope that motivates him to be a better owner than in the past.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So the low energy may have been a bit of the adjustment period. Poor thing is bored silly and keeps carrying around, stealing, and destroying dads shoes.... luckily the man has more shoes than I do, and I own 7 pairs of safety boots. His quote is "still more of a nuisance than a pleasure". I keep reminding him he can always "return her to sender".
She is cute though!!!

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
So the low energy may have been a bit of the adjustment period. Poor thing is bored silly and keeps carrying around, stealing, and destroying dads shoes.... luckily the man has more shoes than I do, and I own 7 pairs of safety boots. His quote is "still more of a nuisance than a pleasure". I keep reminding him he can always "return her to sender".
She is cute though!!!
Bruh he is making her a nuisance by not doing anything with her. She is cute!! Do you have more pics her?

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Fenris, yup, you are 100% correct lol. Poor thing needs a job, and a walk. She has made it her job to move and relocate all of her toys (and any shoes or socks she can find) into one corner of the house.

Unfortunately no more pics, I haven't gone up to his house since, so havent seen her.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Yeah those herding breeds need stuff to do. Even if he dropped her off with you for a wild romp every couple of days or bought her a ball throwing machine. She could burn off some energy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 28 Posts