Poodle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the first Spoo was a 2 year old (intact) Parti male. She got him from Ohio, not sure about the quality of the breeder but decided she is going to breed him because "he is cute"!!! Seriously!!! That is not a valid reason to breed your dog! I asked about the breeder she got him from and the lady doesnt care if shes out breeding her male....doesnt sounds like a good breeder to me.

Also the other Spoo owner came in and i swear the one looked like a horse ha ha ha. His tail was full length with a lot of hair and hung straight down like a horse tail (might of even been touching the ground). His head was just rediculous but cute in its own way i guess, just not my taste at all. I wish i could fo got a picture. I was probably a good foot long, all scruffy and hanging down...looked almost like a dude with dreadlocks and it was ALL matted! I pet him on his head and felt huge chunks of matts, nothing a matt breaker couldnt handle but you wonder why people let their dogs tk's get like this. The other one was a faded out grey and a DOLL!!!! He rubbed up against me and put his face in my face and gave me a kiss, reminded me alot of Mister actually. His cut was totally different, he had short ears and a very short tk, but it worked for him.

After talking to the lady for a bit she told me that she thinks she got them from a puppy mill situation and after buying the second Spoo pup she actually turned them in...thank god.

Anyways its just interesting to see other Spoos, especially when they are interesting looking lol.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Teddy and I met a black spoo the other day. He was 14 months old and gorgeous. His owner and I talked for a while and let the dogs greet. Meeting him made me think I wanted a black spoo too. Then I thought about trying to stuff him in a carrier bag to ride the bus and decided that it's not a good time for me to have one that big. LOL

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I almost NEVER see a nice looking standard. I think mine are pretty well kept. Not always perfect but not matted and filthy. I see some at parks or Petco and they are so frightful and people see mine and say OH I HAVE A STANDARD POODLE TOO...HIS NAME IS ____! My mouth is hanging open and I stutter something like,,,,yeah, nice dog. Its hard to give a compliment when all I can see is tongue and matts.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I almost NEVER see a nice looking standard. I think mine are pretty well kept. Not always perfect but not matted and filthy. I see some at parks or Petco and they are so frightful and people see mine and say OH I HAVE A STANDARD POODLE TOO...HIS NAME IS ____! My mouth is hanging open and I stutter something like,,,,yeah, nice dog. Its hard to give a compliment when all I can see is tongue and matts.
Yup exactly!!! Most of the Spoos i see look more doodleish than anything! A spoo is a BIG responsibility and a pricey dog if you dont the grooming yourself. If you cant rise to the challenge then dont get one, thats my opinion. I dont even like taking Mister places when i think he looks over grown or his face is long ha ha....i thought i would falter in my neurotic care of him but so far a year and a half later and i still do f/f/t and nails every week and groom every 3 to 4 weeks. I just prefer a well kept dog so thats what i will have.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Yup exactly!!! Most of the Spoos i see look more doodleish than anything! A spoo is a BIG responsibility and a pricey dog if you dont the grooming yourself. If you cant rise to the challenge then dont get one, thats my opinion. I dont even like taking Mister places when i think he looks over grown or his face is long ha ha....i thought i would falter in my neurotic care of him but so far a year and a half later and i still do f/f/t and nails every week and groom every 3 to 4 weeks. I just prefer a well kept dog so thats what i will have.
I know I'm new but I have to disagree with this slightly. I agree with you that poodles are not cheap, nor are they easy dogs to keep. But I think how the dog is groomed is completely up to the owner. I equally love when Buddy's face is shaved and when it's a little longer and he has a softer look to him. But as he grows out and his face gets longer he stills gets bathed and brushed out by us. Just cause his face is a little shaggy doesn't mean his coat isn't taken care of. There's not really a way for us to groom him ourselves so he gets into the groomer somewhere between 4-6 weeks and he does start to look shaggy by the end. But he gets at least 2 baths in between and gets brushed frequently.

Now like others have posted it's not ok to let your dog get matted. It's just not fair or comfortable to them, I can't imagine it feels good. But a shaggy face doesn't equal a neglected dog or a dog that's not cared for properly.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Hmmm... I know there are some Poodles that aren't kept up with as well as they should be. However, even those that are can look pretty bad at times.

Jasper looked pretty rough last week. He is professionally groomed every 5 weeks. I bathe him every week. He's brushed or combed every day. He still looks terrible at times! Depending on the weather more often than not LOL. His face and feet look a bit shaggy in between grooming appointments, but I save all clipper work for his groomer. We're getting him ready to show and I would be the first person to accidentally take a chunk out of his coat :doh:.

He was professionally groomed on Thursday--and it rained all day Friday :eek:hwell:. Between mud, snow, rain, woods, beach... looking perfectly beautiful is just a pipe dream.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I know I'm new but I have to disagree with this slightly. I agree with you that poodles are not cheap, nor are they easy dogs to keep. But I think how the dog is groomed is completely up to the owner. I equally love when Buddy's face is shaved and when it's a little longer and he has a softer look to him. But as he grows out and his face gets longer he stills gets bathed and brushed out by us. Just cause his face is a little shaggy doesn't mean his coat isn't taken care of. There's not really a way for us to groom him ourselves so he gets into the groomer somewhere between 4-6 weeks and he does start to look shaggy by the end. But he gets at least 2 baths in between and gets brushed frequently.

Now like others have posted it's not ok to let your dog get matted. It's just not fair or comfortable to them, I can't imagine it feels good. But a shaggy face doesn't equal a neglected dog or a dog that's not cared for properly.
I agree :)

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
I get stopped all the time by fellow dog walkers saying OHHHH look at your lab/golden doodle ((because I let Elphies face grow a bit longer then I should)) needless to say I get super irritated and the people can tell and they exit the conversation PRETTY quick
I brush elphie every night ((not even kidding my mom says I'm killing her ('her' being my mom XD) on hot dogs Elphie gets 2-3 hot dogs per brushing...she isn't over weight yet :D )) so her shaggy face doesn't bother me its just something I know I have to keep extra clean ^_^

lol that whole rant^ aside there isn't thing I love to cuddle with more then a freshly groomed Elphaba XD

·
Registered
875 Posts
Today I took my puppies to a horse show at my work, and a lady with a malti-poo (maltese/poodle) that was MAYBE 10 pounds asked if I would breed her with one of my boys. I had already told her that they were 50 some odd pounds, so when she asked, I frankly said, "that will kill your dog"
Without missing a beat she said "Oh, really, because he is bigger than her?" and proceded to tell me all about her maltipoo's heat cycles and blah blah blah :doh:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts