Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
7,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had given up on going outside in winter because Merlin finds the snow too cold to walk and I couldn’t get his boots to stay on. He has worn the boots maybe 2-3 times, and that was 5 years ago !

Somehow, good memories are associated with the boots and this morning he was sooooo happy to have them on.

I took a video because I figured he wouldn’t walk in them and it would be funny, but I never imagined this... (Sorry for the annoying high pitched voice. I speak to my dogs in French but I’m sure you won’t need translation, lol !)

Of course we then went for a walk.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I had given up on going outside in winter because Merlin finds the snow too cold to walk and I couldn’t get his boots to stay on. He has worn the boots maybe 2-3 times, and that was 5 years ago !

Somehow, good memories are associated with the boots and this morning he was sooooo happy to have them on.

I took a video because I figured he wouldn’t walk in them and it would be funny, but I never imagined this... (Sorry for the annoying high pitched voice. I speak to my dogs in French but I’m sure you won’t need translation, lol !)

Of course we then went for a walk.

He really seems to love them! I’ll bet the walk was a happy walk!

·
Registered
27 Posts
I’m glad you were safe on you walk And that you enjoyed it. At 3 or 4 in the morning on Christmas we got a “possible light snow fall” alert, but no white or even icy Christmas for us. It’s 63 here now. No snow boots for Rocky!
He has finally learned to jump onto my recliner. It’s added a whole new dimension to his world!

·
Registered
990 Posts
This was such a cute video, Dechi.

Reactions: Dechi

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
Always glad to see Merlin happy. He does seem to rock the booties.

·
Premium Member
4,106 Posts
That is one Happy Boy! So darn cute and Beckie bouncing along with is just so fun :)

·
Registered
669 Posts
What an awesome video! It really made me smile to see Merlin so excited wearing boots! 😊
Bobby wears them and is ok with them I can’t say he is excited about them. What brand are they? They seem to stay on very well. They kind of look like Muttluks, which is what Bobby has but can’t quite tell from the video.

·
Registered
7,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
What an awesome video! It really made me smile to see Merlin so excited wearing boots! 😊
Bobby wears them and is ok with them I can’t say he is excited about them. What brand are they? They seem to stay on very well. They kind of look like Muttluks, which is what Bobby has but can’t quite tell from the video.
Yes, they are Muttlucks. I hated them and didn’t use them for 5 years because they wouldn’t stay on. That was the first time I used them since. They need to be really really tight, and the foot has to go to the end of the boot, or they just fall off.

We went for a walk with the snow falling this morning and one came off. I put it back tighter and it stayed on for the rest of the walk. Merlin has such delicate little paws, I was afraid to hurt him before but I guess it’s how they’re meant to be worn. I wouldn’t leave it on more than 1 hour max though and I massage his feet when I take them off.

Meanwhile, Beckie, who is bigger boned and more solid, doesn’t care about the snow and walks barefoot in it. She had huge balls of snow sticking to her paws and didn’t even care. I removed them twice during the walk and once more at home. I’ll get her boots too just for the purpose of avoiding those snowballs...

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Dechi- I highly recommend Pawz booties. We use them on Trixie. They are like a thick balloon, you use a 'jawz' opener to get them on, and they DON'T FALL OFF lol. And if they do, or tear, well, they come in a multipack so it's not a big issue. Using them 3 times per day. For 10-45 min walks, a pack lasted my mom about 1.5 seasons. They aren't particularly insulative, but keep the feet dry and aren't difficult to walk in. Trixie lasts on walks about 4x as long if she has her Pawz on than she does without them. I think they come in a 12 pack, you might.be able to use one pack for both dogs. But, unless you are made of patience and dexterity, don't buy them without also buying the Pawz jawz to put them on.

·
Registered
669 Posts
I love the Muttluks! Yes, you do have to put them on tight and I’m pretty sure they mention that in the instructions so I don’t think it hurts the dog any. We’ve never had any problems. His feet are always dry and toasty warm when I take them off. They have never fallen off. I will say that we only use them for his walks so I wouldn’t be able to speak for them if a dog was running and playing in the deep snow. Not sure which ones you have but we have the fleece lined ones with suede bottoms and he can navigate the packed snow and ice pretty well without slipping. For Want of Poodle...lots of people use the Pawz booties so they must work pretty well! I can’t imagine trying to get those things on though! 😂. Maybe it would be easier with a smaller dog. We will stick with the Muttluks. 😉

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Spottytoes, seriously, the Jawz work so well, though they are nearly impossible to put on if you don't hace the jawz.
They basically spread the neck of the Pawz wide, so you stuff the whole paw in without it touching anything, then you remove the Jawz, and the boot unstretches to fit closely around the ankle. Way easier than the Mukluks Trixie used to have, and I use them on Annie, too :)

Heres what the Jawz look like.

·
Registered
7,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Spottytoes, seriously, the Jawz work so well, though they are nearly impossible to put on if you don't hace the jawz.
They basically spread the neck of the Pawz wide, so you stuff the whole paw in without it touching anything, then you remove the Jawz, and the boot unstretches to fit closely around the ankle. Way easier than the Mukluks Trixie used to have, and I use them on Annie, too :)

Heres what the Jawz look like.

Too bad I didn’t see this before ! I went and bought Muttlucks for Beckie as they were 30% off. We’ll see how she likes them... :)

·
Super Moderator
9,055 Posts
I used the Pawz booties on Gracie, but that must have been pre-Jawz, or somehow I missed hearing about them. With each use, they became easier to stretch, and the best part? No more boots lost in slush in the middle of busy intersections! That was always a fun one in Toronto.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts