Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I was browsing the web for mini breeders. There are a lot of yucky (that is a technical term) websites out there for "poodles." Anyway, I saw a few of these "rare merle color" puppies. They say some have blue eyes. I don't know much about breeding, but sometimes aren't blue eyes and certain patterns related to hearing problems or other health problems?

·
Registered
486 Posts
If you see merle poodles, please note they are not AKC reg. The merle comes from a cross in the background with mini Aussies.
Utopia- used to be Terraganthen before she was shut down and moved- is the most obvious of the merle breeders.
Carole

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you see merle poodles, please note they are not AKC reg. The merle comes from a cross in the background with mini Aussies.
Utopia- used to be Terraganthen before she was shut down and moved- is the most obvious of the merle breeders.
Carole
Yes, I know the phantom and partis are also not AKC. One breeder is claiming that poodles have the merle gene:wacko:I figured it was a cross at some point.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Phantoms and Parti's ARE AKC, just can't be shown in AKC conformation classes. Merle mini's won't be registered AKC- if DNA was done to prove parentage, the gig would be up, so to speak. The lesser registries (APRI, Contenental Kennel Club, etc.) do not require or will not ask for proof of parentage.
Parti's and phantoms have been in the poodle breed since it's inception. Merles, not- the true merle pattern is not found in poodles. (purebred poodles).
Carole

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay, now I am understanding. I was confused, since the parti and phantoms cannot be shown, I assumed they were not AKC.

On the one site with the Merles, the breeder claimed to be breeding them to keep them out of the shelters! Since they were so "unique" and she figured she would know they were hers?!

·
Registered
12,498 Posts
Given the known issues with merle to merle mating in other breeds, and the possibility of unknowingly mating to a "cryptic merle" carrying the merle gene, deliberately breeding this genetic fault into poodles seems to go against every piece of good practice advice I have ever seen. And the argument that it will make them so pretty that they will never end up in rescue is spurious in the extreme.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Honestly, I think a lot of people would just think, it's some kind of a mix. Since that coloring is unusual, some people would just think it is not purebred.

·
Registered
486 Posts
On the one site with the Merles, the breeder claimed to be breeding them to keep them out of the shelters! Since they were so "unique" and she figured she would know they were hers?!

Golly gee... isn't that one reason for microchips?

Carole

·
Registered
2,686 Posts

Golly gee... isn't that one reason for microchips?

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

BTW.... I had heard that the Merle originally came from a Shelti. Whatever the reason, Merle Poodles are clearly NOT purebred.

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
These people make me sick trying to fool puppy buyers.

Merle is a dominate color therefore this would have shown up when poodles where becoming a breed :doh:

This same BS has happened with apbts's( pit bulls) All of the sudden these merle pit bull where being bred and sold as purebreds :rolffleyes: There has been no documentation of this breed coming in this color until the 90's :wacko:

The UKC and ADBA will not register the merle color now. Since apbt come in any color the standard has changed to add merle is a disqualifying color.

These breeder where obviously mixing the pits with catahoula leopard dog ( a popular catch dog) which already has physical traits of a bully type breed. So getting them to look pure did not take but one crossing.

American Pit Bull Terrier Network Merle and the Pit Bull

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
While this may not be a fair comparison, here is a "poodle" with unusual coloring on petfinder:
Adoptable Poodle: Marzipan: Petfinder
They say her ears go back, so they are not sure what she is. Looks like there is some chihuahua in there to me. And what about the purebred rescues? I just think that is a silly reason; to make them "different" to keep them out of shelters? And, I thought the same thing about microchips! LOL

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
These people make me sick trying to fool puppy buyers.

Merle is a dominate color therefore this would have shown up when poodles where becoming a breed :doh:

This same BS has happened with apbts's( pit bulls) All of the sudden these merle pit bull where being bred and sold as purebreds :rolffleyes: There has been no documentation of this breed coming in this color until the 90's :wacko:

The UKC and ADBA will not register the merle color now. Since apbt come in any color the standard has changed to add merle is a disqualifying color.

These breeder where obviously mixing the pits with catahoula leopard dog ( a popular catch dog) which already has physical traits of a bully type breed. So getting them to look pure did not take but one crossing.

American Pit Bull Terrier Network Merle and the Pit Bull

I know, so many people will be like, "OOOOH the rare color!" I feel icky after browsing all of these sites, LOL

·
Registered
486 Posts
Poodles do come in the Merle Coat Pattern! Studies have been conducted and it has been proven that Poodles do infact carry the Merle Gene."

You will note- no study is listed. I am on 5 canine genetics lists. Merle has been discussed extensively. There is NO merle in the original poodle lines.
Carole

·
Registered
104 Posts
Dont shoot me....... but they do look attractive (the colour).
But I have a White Deaf Collie (i think known as lethal whites?) as a result of irresponsable merle breeding, her brother is deaf and another brother has epilepsy. so i would never own one or condone the breeding of merles!
So It wont be long i supose before all these problems are rife in her or any other merle breeders lines!

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Poodles do come in the Merle Coat Pattern! Studies have been conducted and it has been proven that Poodles do infact carry the Merle Gene."

You will note- no study is listed. I am on 5 canine genetics lists. Merle has been discussed extensively. There is NO merle in the original poodle lines.
Carole
I know, and if you go to the link, she has "more about merle poodles" and there is nothing about merle poodles. It just shows different dogs with the merle pattern or coloring!:doh:

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
I had thought that you could show partis in AKC dog shows. I know you can't show them in Canadian Kennel Club shows.

So far as merles go, breeding a merle to a merle produces white and blind puppies. At least I assume its the same as with Collies. Its a no no.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts