Poodle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I wanted to introduce our 15 week old silver standard boy. His name is Mercury and joined our family a week ago. We have been looking for the right standard for a while now and were lucky enough to find him. He came from a back yard breeder who couldn't place their pups. A back yard breeder was not where I was planning to get our new family member, but he was on the way to the pound so he joined our family instead.

So far he is a VERY laid back boy which is rather nice. As he grows he will be learning to be a therapy dog, as long as he likes it. We also have a wonderful Mini shar pei girl named Xin-Jie. She is very happy to have a little (all though he is already the same size as she is) brother. I also have 3 kids, age 5, 9, and 11. Mercury will be a 4H show dog as well. He is already 30 lbs so I think he is going to be a fairly good sized boy. We had a wonderful standard in the past who recently passed away from cancer so feel lucky to have another standard as part of the family.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Welcome!! And so sorry to hear about your dog passing. Mercury is a big boy and very cute too.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Welcome! I'm in Boulder. Where are you located? Just curious.... who is the stud on this dog. You can PM me if you like.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We live outside of Grand Junction. His sire is sylvester dannheim silly dog and his dam is sinjias luscious rose blossoms. I know nothing about either parents pedigrees. The sire has been dna certified and his hips were certified as well. They both live with the breeder in Paonia, Co.

I had been looking for a possible show potential pup, but don't think he will be that as he has a spot of white on his chest (probably because his dam is a parti poodle) and I believe a silver is supposed to have darker eyes, but the main thing is that he is a happy and healthy family member. I may still try to do AKC obediance with him even though conformation is probably out. I would really like to do some kind of dog activity with him on top of being a therapy dog, just for fun.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Welcome Mercury's Mom ^_^
I'm sure you'll learn alot from this forum ((I know that I have!!))

Mercury is a lucky boy to find a great home!

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, I wasn't sure whether to start a new thread or not, but decided to post here. We have ended up taking in Mercury's brother (who we have named Jupiter) because he was having to live outside in the freezing colorado snow with no shelter. Naturally we had to take him in. I don't have any photos to post yet but will this weekend. Jupiter is a tad smaller and more refined than Mercury. He is silver like his brother but has a white chin amd a big patch of white on his chest. Mercury has a white spot on his chest as well but it is smaller than the end of a wine cork while Jupiter's spot is longer than my hand and about the same width. He is a little more energetic than Mercury already, but that's not saying much as Mercury is the most laid back pup I've ever seen. We are glad to have a playmate for Mercury and to get Jupiter out of his unfortunate situation. My daugher is thrilled because Jupiter is going to be sleeping in her room. Mercury sleeps with me. I've read so many times on here that two spoos are better than one so why not, right?

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Welcome Mercry's mom ! It is what as known as the Poodle Plague and it is quite contagious :) So good of you to take two out of that situation..You will have your hands full for sure...They sound so lovely. I have a silver girl named Libby I think the silvers are stunning !

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
I think 2 is better than one. I am a twofer....2 Pomeranians that are litermates and 2 Spoos:)
I dont know if it's better or not and I am done! No more doggies for me. But as BRP says it's a plaque - or a poddle bug, you just fall in love and want them to feel that from another poodle:)

I know you mentioned a goal of showing.......so you will likely have 3 before it's said and done right?

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oh geez. You're right. I guess I will have three eventually, although I want to wait a while before I get my show pup. I want to do as much research into the lines and learn what to look for before I make that move. I also guess I should raise these boys first, but perhaps in a year I may just have 3 spoos. So far having 2 is pretty much as easy as 1, however we'll see what happends when they're teenagers. I better get them fixed long before that so they always get along.

It is amazing how different they actually are even though they are littermates and both silver. Jupiter has a thicker more coarse coat and is so much more refined than his brother also his ears seem to be to high and are smaller than Mercury's. I personally like Mercury's build better but my daughter thinks Jupiter's finer face and frame is more attractive. I would guess that Jupiter was a girl and Mercury is a boy if I didn't know better. While they are both very laid back, Jupiter has a bit more interest in playing with the kids. Mercury would rather watch than join in. The pups sure like to play with each other in the snow but as soon as they come inside they know its time to relax. I have to admit that if I had 2 spoo pups they woukd be more interested in each other than in us, but I am happily wrong. They are a wonderful pair and I'm lucky to have them.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
congratulations on adding another spoo to your family!!
I can't wait to see photos of them together!!
^_^

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
Welcome to you and your new furbies. It is wonderful that you were willing to take in two spoos! I love having two myself. I'm glad that you will be doing a lot of research and eventually getting a show puppy. I am impressed that you want to use your spoo as a therapy dog. You will get as much out of it as he will. My sister and I bring our pack to a nursing home every two to three weeks and we just did a Christmas visit that you can see in another post. http://www.poodleforum.com/showthread.php?t=4169

1 - 14 of 14 Posts