Poodle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

Me again, with some questions. If you don't already know, I am 16. I am getting acclimated to the dog showing the world! Something I thought was dumb a few years ago. Now I am OBSESSED. I've been lurking in Facebook groups pretty often lately.. trying to find people in my area who breed and show standard poodles.

I was wondering though, what does mentoring as a whole even look like? I was thinking I would be taught how to work with a dog in a ring, maybe some grooming... Would it be more beneficial as a whole to take some Junior showmanship classes instead of finding a mentor, is a mentor even what I assume it is? I assumed a relationship between a mentor and a student would be a bit closer, which could be valuable... but I'm not even sure what a mentor...does.

If mentor is what I think it is... how did you find your mentor? at a dog show, online, through a friend? where should I be looking? Have you taken showmanship classes as well? how did the experiences compare?

thank you!

·
Registered
532 Posts
it's a relationship worth pursuing. Don't give up. Start asking around because people will take time to help you if you're ambitious. Talk about what your passionate about (like what your doing here), and mention that you're looking for someone to take you under their wing to show you the ropes. Ask your local poodle club if anyone would want to meet you for coffee to hear their story (people love talking about themselves). I would start by youtubing "mentor relationship" on youtube to help paint a clearer idea of what it looks like.

I can't speak to the specifics in the poodle and show arena, but in my mid 20's I knew I needed to find men with high morals and character in the pursuit of bettering themselves. Over the course of 3 years, I told my mentor things I would never even tell my best friend and he shot it to me straight.

The phase about "the 5 people who you hang out with is who you will become" is true. Surround yourself with drug dealers and smoke weed all day, you become one. Surround yourself with people who show dogs, you become one. Surround yourself with people who have values you want, and you'll have them.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thank you! I'll continue my search. I'm hoping once covid lifts, to go to dog shows and insert myself into conversations.

There isn't a poodle club Local to me (i think the closest one is in St. Lewis??) If anybody is in the Missouri area, feel free to chime in and let me know what you know ;)

@Rose n Poos I know you are basically my neighbor, what do you know about poodle clubs and mentoring here?

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
bumping, sorta..

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nobody else has anything to say? Lol

·
Super Moderator
2,271 Posts
On the general subject of mentoring, I highly recommend Carla Harris. She overcame all kinds of obstacles in order to become a very successful bank executive and professional singer (simultaneously! She's a force of nature.) She talks a lot about the social skills and relationship building skills an outsider needs to have in order to succeed in an Old Boys Club. The information might not help you get your first gig, and it might not seem immediately relevant to dogs. However, it's good to stuff to understand as you are contemplating five and ten year plans.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
If there is no poodle club in your area, there may be an all-breed club. We have a poodle club here, but I am the only active, local member who has shown in conformation. Quite a few members of our obedience club show in conformation, so I needed help with conformation I could ask one of them.

HOWEVER, the big, big issue with showing poodles in conformation is learning to groom for show. Most of us who handle our own poodles in conformation started out with putting our dogs with a handler. Most poodle handlers (all the ones I have ever known!) need help getting dogs ready for the ring. I "apprenticed" under Bobby Peebles, a top-notch poodle handler back in the 80s. He always needed help from clients brushing dogs out. So you learned to brush correctly and eventually graduated to scissoring. I will never be as good as he was, but it certainly was a great education!

One other thought: so many exhibitors moan and groan about judges "only putting up handlers" (or their friends). If they were to really observe, they would notice that professional handlers and experienced exhibitors are good at grooming and presenting their dogs. They also know the preferences of most judges. For example, if I knew a judge strongly valued bone and substance, I'd never waste money showing an ultra-refined dog like Zoe to that judge. On the other hand, if I know a judge is very concerned about miniature and toy poodles being big and heavy - that is the judge I would seek out for little Zoe. It's like any other sport - you have to know the "invisible" rules.

·
Registered
493 Posts
If there is 4-H in your area, give them a ring. 4-H would concentrate on obedience, but I think you may be able to make a connection through that route.

Also, the person you purchase a puppy through may become a mentor for you.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Kelsey at alue offered to mentor me, but I need to talk to her further about it. She is located a bit aways from me. She is in UKC with her dogs, so she owner handles them all.

There is 4-H in my area, never thought about that one. I'll look around. :)

·
Registered
814 Posts
I don't have much to add here because I do not personally show in obedience but. I would check out 4-H for sure, where I am in Texas it is called Dog Project and you want to find a group that concentrates more on competing with your dog. I would also just talk to training clubs around you and see if they have anyone that shows.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts